Saints Training Camp Updates: Day 18, August 16th (Last day in Irvine, California) (3 Viewers)

I'm getting more and more pessimistic as we get closer to week 1. The last Underhill podcast was a real bummer to listen to.

Pretty straightforward analysis:

Think of it this way: If 18 teams run a scheme designed to create an above-average offense – not every one will rank above-average statistically in a 32-team league.

That’s not mathematically possible.

It comes down, then, to execution. A scheme is only as good as the players asked to run it and the coaches tasked with teaching it, people in and around the NFL say.
I agree with that second part 100%, and have been saying the same all offseason. Scheme can only do so much.

No OL? Forget about it.

Good OL but bad QB? Hopefully the run can keep us in games, but it's not a formula for success.

Good OL and good QB but bad OC? Now we've finally reached the point of being sure that the bad offense is the fault of the play caller. If the OL and/or QB are bad, there's not much an OC can do to salvage the offense.

Payton went on a streak of 15 straight seasons as a top 12 scoring offense (with 10 finishes in the top 5), but quickly fell back to earth with the 19th best offense after Brees was gone. He schemed us away from being among the worst, but he wasn't going to replicate his success once Brees was gone. The Saints were actually graded with the #1 pass blocking line by PFF that year, but we finished dead last in passing yards.

I'm getting more and more pessimistic as we get closer to week 1. The last Underhill podcast was a real bummer to listen to.
Same. Every day gets worse. Today it’s a toe or foot injury for Shaheed?

I guess the positive is that we didn’t trade away our 2025 first round pick.

This bugs me. What competitive advantage are you trying to gain by holding back info like that in the preseason?

If anything, I’d want the other team to know we’re rolling out our starters so that they can get a better test.

This bugs me. What competitive advantage are you trying to gain by holding back info like that in the preseason?

If anything, I’d want the other team to know we’re rolling out our starters so that they can get a better test.

I think the main reason for the noncommittal of starters playing is because a lot of the offensive starters are dealing with injuries. McCoy, Fuaga, Johnson, Shaheed, Davis and Lattimore have injuries. Nothing to really gain from risking further injuries in preseason for about half of the 1st unit offense. Carr would benefit from more game reps in Kubiak’s plays though.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom