Seahawks CB Richard Sherman: The NFL draft is a ‘sham’ (1 Viewer)

“You can go from now until the end of time — guys have somehow maneuvered their way into the first round, maneuvered their way into the spotlight. As long as (draft analysts) talk about him all day, all night, all day, all night — it’s kind of like, ‘Oh, that’s why he went in the first round,’ Then when they’re doing nothing in the league, nobody notices. They just don’t say much about them. You know, it’s like, ‘Oh, we didn’t get that one wrong, he just needs time to develop.’ Then, three years later it’s still, ‘Time to develop.’

“And then you got guys who come in prepared, ready, who didn’t have hype. They might’ve come from Southwest Idaho State, they might’ve come from Northwestern, they might’ve come from Stanford, they might’ve come from anywhere.”

He makes some solid points though. A lot of these 'highly touted' players get taken early because they get hyped, and talked about over and over by the Network analysts, and Draft gurus.

I mean we've taken players from Hofstra, Bloomsburg, Tiffin, Walsh, a guy that played for the Regina Rams in a Canadian league and they end up becoming starters and pretty high caliber players.

I think that's why I give props to our organization for looking under every single rock when evaluating Draft prospects, and they don't really hold it against you where you came from, or who your competition was. The cream will find it's way to rise to the top.

I doubt teams draft based on media analysts. I highly doubt that. Every team has their own crew of scouts (all they do all year long), talent evaluators, and then a coaches input based on all the college film they can get on a kid. There is no way it is because Mel Kiper said so. Other than that, I like the guy and find him entertaining.

I like sherman, he knows the way to make a name for yourself is to talk a lot, and it gets him probowls and better contracts, because playing well is not enough, drew and jimmy didn't make the probowl and both had the stats, oh, I don't count getting there after someone withdraws his name.

I doubt teams draft based on media analysts. I highly doubt that. Every team has their own crew of scouts (all they do all year long), talent evaluators, and then a coaches input based on all the college film they can get on a kid. There is no way it is because Mel Kiper said so. Other than that, I like the guy and find him entertaining.
Still, i think the media have a nice hand in influencing picks and such

Still, i think the media have a nice hand in influencing picks and such

The only thing I agree with you on is the probablity that they probably don't turn the stones within the small schools and talk about any talent there. Mainly, because it is too much work and unpopular to do so.

I don't think the Draft analysts directly influence a teams' pick.

However I do think the whole Marketing of the Draft and the publicity they give to certain players do tend to make teams lean more towards the Bigger, Pro Factory type schools. Michigan, Ohio State, Miami (back in the day) USC, the top SEC schools...etc.

I don't think the Draft analysts directly influence a teams' pick.

However I do think the whole Marketing of the Draft and the publicity they give to certain players do tend to make teams lean more towards the Bigger, Pro Factory type schools. Michigan, Ohio State, Miami (back in the day) USC, the top SEC schools...etc.

There was a day when NFL scouts and GM's got their info from the likes of Joel Buschbaum. Doubt there will ever be another like him.

People get all freaky about athletic potential and workout warriors. If they were so awesome, why were they not great in college? It is cool that on the perfect track with a few months work with a speed coach in running shoes and such you can put up a great time. But if you look at game film it never lies. All of the lower round players the saints have gotten yeah they are smaller school, but they dominated their match ups. Then I would think you'd look to make sure they were within a set frame of athletic talent, and mindset.

I've seen enough analytical articles on the draft to know that he is wrong. More often than not the first player chosen at a position is much better than the 2nd, 3rd and especially 4th on. It's not just at QB either. It's at almost every position.

Of course, there are always exceptions and it is not a science. But scouts do a great job of finding the top talent. The problem in the first round is when there is a run on a certain position. If 5 DE's are drafted in the 1st round, only 3 of them will likely be worthy of the pick but teams value the position more than others so they reach.

I remember a year where there were 6-7 WRs taken in the first round. And another when there were 6-7 CBs taken. Both years, I'd say teams were reaching but I'm not sure you can say it's media hype.

I know Sherman can play, but this guy is getting dangerously close to Freddie Mitchell territory.

Watched Sherman on Total Access yesterday, loved it. He said Tom Brady talked trash to him during the game and when they won he walked over and told him "You mad bro?" lol... He also called Roddy White a joke.

He is a confident player, plays with swagger, he makes big plays. I wish we had someone like him on our backend.

Jamarcus Russel pretty much proves his entire point. He really came out of nowhere to become the first pick in the draft, he just rode a good sugar bowl performance and tons of media hype about how strong his arm was to a huge payday.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom