Saints Seems like every other team expected to sign Bridgewater (Speculation) (4 Viewers)

Personally, I am not concerned about Teddy leaving. The upside of Taysom Hill is what I think the correct play is for the organization, and quite honestly I would literally never fear Teddy Bridgewater at QB if he signed with a common opponent or divisional opponent of ours.

I really like the guy as a person and think he is a good backup, but as a starting QB, he is a game manager and not someone that will "win" a game for you, but will at best "not lose" the game for you. Big difference.

I feel like a lot of people see "backup QB went 5-0" and automatically think it means he must have been great. But for those watching the games closely, they know Teddy Bridgewater isn't the reason why the Saints went 5-0.

I know many people will point to a couple of his more-decent games, or maybe that one time he threw for 300 yards that I can remember off-hand, but a lot of that production was off of an excellent screen game, dump-offs, and/or passes to literally the best WR in football, with a game plan tailored by arguably the best schemer and play-caller in football, versus what I believe was a statistically porous pass defense with an injury or two (edit: his lone 300-yard game was against Tampa Bay at home, who was ranked 32nd in pass defense at that time and finished the year ranked 30th).

So if he signs with Carolina, so be it. I'd be more than happy with facing Teddy Bridgewater twice a year.

I wonder if he might end up with the 49ers? Using Jimmy G as trade bait and signing a FA QB is about all they can do to upgrade the roster given their lack of cap space and low draft position. Their defense is great. Run game is great. They don't need much, just a bit of an upgrade in the passing game, and I think Bridgewater would give them that at a very good price compared to what they would pay Brady or Newton.
I think it's not really as much of a match as you might think. For one thing, while Jimmy clearly couldn't play his best when put under the spotlight that all QBs are eventually measured by (possession with 2:44 to play, down by 4), I don't think Teddy has anything on tape to make the Niners think he can bridge that gap.

There is also the matter of the $4m+ it would cost them to trade away Jimmy in 2020, not a favourable option at all.

I sure wish we could’ve tagged him or another year so we could’ve gotten trade value . I think a team would’ve parted with a 2nd for sure maybe a 1st for Teddy

We could’ve gotten Sam Bradford value for Teddy.

Compensatory picks are real. And will get a same or higher pick than he would in a trade IMO.

This forum has overvalued our back up QBs as trade assets for years, I got tired of reading how Luke McCown would pull in a very high pick, for example ?

True but he’s a 1st round pick
27 years of age
Has had 2 good starting seasons
1 good season last year filling in

Believe me someone is going to pay Teddy

27 years of age

In salary yes. In draft picks, not so much.

A clinical analysis of Bridgewater is hard because he is a great guy and has a heartwarming comeback story.

But Football is sport where performance is the harsh judge and sentiment has little to do with it.

Is Tampa or Dallas representative of his game? This is his TD production

4 TDs 2 Games
3 TDs 0 Games
2 TDs 7 Games
1 TD 16 Games

0 TDs 11 Games

TDs per game average is 1.06. Tampa, with his 4 TD passes, is an obvious outlier.

His W/L record is 59% 22-15-0 (includes one playoff game)

You won't hear teams scouting for a QB say things like "His come back from adversity story is just what our offense needs" or "We don't have nice guy in the Locker Room lets recruit a nice guy"

Unlike the media persons that cover 32 teams and 336 games each year the team scouts are going to break down every game and every play he has executed as a Saint and if we are being honest there is a lot in there that isn't so great.

So I don't put much stock in media speculation. There is probably a team that wants Teddy but if you are imagining that there will be a bidding war for his services you may be disappointed.

Last edited:
27 years of age

I love Teddy.

Let's take a look and I may be off a bit of some of this but should be in the same zip code.

- 2014: Part time player
- 2015: Starter led Minny to playoffs under one of the most conservative offensive teams in the league
- 2016: Terrible injury.
- 2017: Did not play
- 2018: Did not start and rarely played
- 2019: Went 5-0 in tough schedule as backup after not starting a meaningful game in 3-years

Why do many of us think he is just a game manager. Studying under Brees for 2-years and learning under genius SP, Why do we think he will not continue to improve his game. I don't think we know how good or great he really can be. And we know he is a great leader whose teammates love to follow. Of course if he goes to a QB hell team, he will never develop. Under SP?

I love Teddy.

Let's take a look and I may be off a bit of some of this but should be in the same zip code.

- 2014: Part time player
- 2015: Starter led Minny to playoffs under one of the most conservative offensive teams in the league
- 2016: Terrible injury.
- 2017: Did not play
- 2018: Did not start and rarely played
- 2019: Went 5-0 in tough schedule as backup after not starting a meaningful game in 3-years

Why do many of us think he is just a game manager. Studying under Brees for 2-years and learning under genius SP, Why do we think he will not continue to improve his game. I don't think we know how good or great he really can be. And we know he is a great leader whose teammates love to follow. Of course if he goes to a QB hell team, he will never develop. Under SP?
At this point, I'm tired of the stating the obvious. If Drew leaves this year, he's the best and most practical chance to maintain stability.
I really don't get how many of TH advocates can project growth with one guy and not same the same the other. His floor is a respectable franchise QB (not top 5 at the position) and a playoff caliber team.
We need to ask ourselves what the realistic QB goal post-Drew. Everyone wants the next Mahommes or Drew, but history says that will probably take a while. In the meantime, I just think Teddy is the pragmatic and proven option.

I really like the guy as a person and think he is a good backup, but as a starting QB, he is a game manager and not someone that will "win" a game for you, but will at best "not lose" the game for you. Big difference.

Sort of like Sam Bradford, but maybe not quite as accurate.

I think it's close to a consensus that Teddy needs a big defense to succeed.

Sort of like Sam Bradford, but maybe not quite as accurate.

I think it's close to a consensus that Teddy needs a big defense to succeed.

He will be as good as the team in front of him. I don't see him as that wunderkind that elevates a team beyond their natural ability. If the team that takes him had a pocket passer before then he may incrementally improve the team but he does not add any new offensive capability.

Taysom in that same situation adds a potent and completely new offensive dimension.

I really don't get how many of TH advocates can project growth with one guy and not same the same the other.

Same as we don't get why others immediately discard Taysom as a QB.

Taysom has not gotten the opportunity to even practice full time as QB but for a month (maybe) with the Packers 3 years ago. Yet, the talent is obvious (size, mobility, arm strength, etc), so are the glimpses on the field.

I think it's not really as much of a match as you might think. For one thing, while Jimmy clearly couldn't play his best when put under the spotlight that all QBs are eventually measured by (possession with 2:44 to play, down by 4), I don't think Teddy has anything on tape to make the Niners think he can bridge that gap.

There is also the matter of the $4m+ it would cost them to trade away Jimmy in 2020, not a favourable option at all.

Teddy can make all of throws Garappolo can and maybe better. With that run game and defense he would have a good chance to return them to the Super Bowl and possibly win it

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom