Sgould this guy be fired? (1 Viewer)

Should he be fired?

• Total voters

iHEARTbush

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
I find this plain wrong. A teacher should know better.
Marianna teacher suspended for 'racially charged' comments about Obama
While some parents and community activists were outraged by the actions of Greg Howard, Jackson County NAACP officials want to gather more facts before the group considers taking action. But some parents feel Howard should be fired.
Larry Moore, deputy superintendent for the Jackson County School District, said school officials determined Howard wrote an acronym with an explanation on a dry-erase board in his class Sept. 26 at Marianna Middle School.

If he legitimately put that on the board in a classroom, yes, he deserves to be fired. This shouldn't even be a question. We don't have to look for any under-the-surface, perhaps unintentional/non-existant racial undertone for this one. The racism punches you in the face. Utterly classless and, frankly, moronic.

How can a teacher even think this could pass? Maybe he was trying to be "cool" but he failed at being "cool" miserably.

I learned in an hr class depending on the age of the students involved, and if this is a public school the school can fire this person and not have to worry about legal problems.... so yes drop the teacher like rocks.

if things were done right, he should be fired...but like the name of this thread things don't always go down correctly..

I'm almost split on this.. For one, if Mencia or another comedian were to do it, it would have gotten a lot of laughs. I think the acronym is actually pretty funny by itself- but I have a crude sense of humor (shoot me). The problem, however, is the setting. Those kinds of remarks do not belong in academic setting, unless doing some kind of research paper on racial issues. But to middle schoolers? Never, they're too young to hear this stuff, especially coming from their teacher. He should have saved it for the bar for his buddies.

I'm almost split on this.. For one, if Mencia or another comedian were to do it, it would have gotten a lot of laughs. I think the acronym is actually pretty funny by itself- but I have a crude sense of humor (shoot me). The problem, however, is the setting. Those kinds of remarks do not belong in academic setting, unless doing some kind of research paper on racial issues. But to middle schoolers? Never, they're too young to hear this stuff, especially coming from their teacher. He should have saved it for the bar for his buddies.

I totally agree. This is extremely inapproriate for a teacher to do, but if it were in a more adult setting like at the bar with your friends or an adult comedy routine, that's different.

I'd be interested how in what context this would ever be considered a good idea or even an 'okay' decision.......

as mentally challenged as that teacher was, I find this just as disturbing
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fLprurE7EVI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fLprurE7EVI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Some context would have been helpful. It's such a mind numbingly stupid thing to do I'm having a hard time imagining the situation that this would come up in. He's taught for 17 years and Sept. 26th is the day he woke up and decided "Hey, I'm going to make myself a national news story and get fired!".

Some context would have been helpful. It's such a mind numbingly stupid thing to do I'm having a hard time imagining the situation that this would come up in. He's taught for 17 years and Sept. 26th is the day he woke up and decided "Hey, I'm going to make myself a national news story and get fired!".

While I am usually one to lead toward the "wait until the facts are in" side, I also can't imagine a scenario in which this could be justified. Maybe if his students immediately came to his defense and indicated that he wrote it on the board, saying it was something he had heard a student say and he wanted to generate discussion on how inappropriate that kind of joke was. But the article mentions nothing about his students defending him or class discussion. I tend to think that he thought it was funny on some level, but the "joke" is on him. IMO, his reassignment will likely be temporary and he will be terminated with good cause.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom