Sharper wants 1 thing, a SB ring (1 Viewer)

The Cover 2 Minnesota employs really hurt Sharper's playmaking abilities. Now that he's back in more of a man scheme with a defensive genius like GW, I expect big things. I can see him leading the NFL in INTs by the end.

? Really? How much could he ask for? He's like 93 years old.

I heard him during a live interview, and he stated that prior to coming to New Orleans, he could either choose a bunch of money or a championship. He came here for a championship, instead. So, I guess he is still capable of making good money.

The Cover 2 Minnesota employs really hurt Sharper's playmaking abilities. Now that he's back in more of a man scheme with a defensive genius like GW, I expect big things. I can see him leading the NFL in INTs by the end.

GW uses a lot of Cover-2. He's not "committed to it", it isn't a philosophical question with him (like it would be with Marinelli or Kiffin for instance), he's run pretty much everything as a DC, but it'd be a mistake to think that

1) Cover-2 inhibits the playmaking of safeties in coverage. Actually it's the opposite since Safeties get to break on the ball.

2) That we won't/don't use cover-2 coverages.

Yeah, I pointed out Monday that we played a ton of zone coverages against the Lions.

That's what I like about Williams, he's ran it all and plays it all depending on what the situation warrants. Against a rookie, it makes more sense to play more zone based stuff as opposed to selling out against him (even though conventional wisdom says you blitz blitz blitz a new QB), thereby giving him a shot to beat the rush and hit wide open receivers.

Oh I know we do and will use it, but we don't use it near as much as Minnesota. I don't think there's a defensive alignment created GW doesn't or wouldn't use.

I've always found extensive Cover 2 hinders the safety's playmaking abilities because it's over-the-top coverage most of the time. It's not bad or anything, but I think it makes it harder to get INTs because most INTs seem to be on underthrows.

Plus, in Cover 2 there's 2 deep safeties so each individual safety patrols only 1/2 the field. So if the play goes to the opposite side, you don't have a chance to make a big play.

But I could easily be wrong, as per usual :ezbill:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom