Sink leak and resealing (1 Viewer)

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So, I have an issue with my kitchen sink leaking at the drain. It seems the seal has gone bad and the drain where the disposal is attached appears to be leaking. I haven't done this before, but I'm thinking I'll have to disconnect the disposal and check the seals to see if I can figure out exactly why it's leaking. We've been at this house 2 1/2 years and looks like it's been leaking slowly for a few months and now it's worse and I'm gonna take a swing at it today. Has anyone done this and any tips?

I do know I'll need to unplug the disposal and cut the power off to that part of the kitchen. Gonna go pick up some sealant and hopefully that will fix the leak.

This is what I'm seeing under the sink. The circle is where I think the leak is coming from.

20240417_003000.jpg

Hate to say it, but bite the bullet and call a plumber. That looks gnarly.
Looks like one of those “multiple trips to the big box hardware store” projects that’ll cost you more in the long run if you choose to tackle it.
I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go ahead and pull it apart and clean it up as best I can then put it back together. I read it could simply be leaking because the compression ring might not be set tight enough. We will see.

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go ahead and pull it apart and clean it up as best I can then put it back together. I read it could simply be leaking because the compression ring might not be set tight enough. We will see.
Looks like the flange is missing a bolt. The gaskets probably mucked up as well and worth cleaning but it still won't get a good seal if a bolt is missing. If it's an Insinkerator brand I know they sell flange kits at Home Depot.

Looks like the flange is missing a bolt. The gaskets probably mucked up as well and worth cleaning but it still won't get a good seal if a bolt is missing. If it's an Insinkerator brand I know they sell flange kits at Home Depot.

This looks similar. Probly worth taking that whole piece off and bringing it with you. I'm sure they have some kind of universal replacement kit for it with gasket/collar, however it's set up.

Good, I'll check that. Definitely will look at a flange kit if it's missing any parts or broken.

I need to disconnect to power line from the disposal. It's attached directly to the on/off switch under the sink. How do I get the two black wires out of the switch box? The screws don't loosen them and pulling them but they won't budge.

20240420_144918.jpg

Also tried to push to release but no dice. Maybe didn't push hard enough but don't want to break it either.

20240420_145948.jpg

Last edited:
I need to disconnect to power line from the disposal. It's attached directly to the on/off switch under the sink. How do I get the two black wires out of the switch box? The screws don't loosen them and pulling them but they won't budge.

20240420_144918.jpg

Also tried to push to release but no dice. Maybe didn't push hard enough but don't want to break it either.

20240420_145948.jpg
You gotta give it a pretty good push. It won't break. Are you removing the entire unit? Just wondering why you have to remove the switch.

• 1Like
Reactions: RJS
So I managed to get the disposal disconnected but now I can't get the part in the sink drain out. It looks like all one piece. I thought the lip on top would separate from the bottom to be able to remove it.

20240420_152653.jpg

20240420_152721.jpg

Also, the main reason I want to get the connector to the sink off is so I can replace gasket and reseal everything.

So I managed to get the disposal disconnected but now I can't get the part in the sink drain out. It looks like all one piece. I thought the lip on top would separate from the bottom to be able to remove it.

20240420_152653.jpg

20240420_152721.jpg
That piece comes out, probably just has silicone or some sealant under the lip holding it on.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom