So I have a question... (1 Viewer)

Crawdaddys

Thank You SAINTS!
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Who do you deem the most talented? NFL second and third stringers? or Canadian Football League starters?

I'll explain my reason for questioning once we establish this answer.

My thoughts as well which brings me to this.......

Cameron Wake

There were several conversations about him on SR a couple of years ago suggesting we bring him in. He was a "man amoungst boys" in the CFL. We did not.... Mr. Parcells did.

From what I have seen, this guy is a monster and wreaks havok as an "OLB" mainly lining up in passing downs on the egde in a 4-point stance.

Can anyone say Junyah?

I mean he sort of wreaked the same kind of havok, in the same kind of "positoion" (minus the chargers) against NFL second and third stringers.

Let activate this "man" please.... what do we have to lose?

JMO

IDK, but I qualified my answer for a reason. Every now and then you have a player in the CFL that gets to either show what they are made out of or they develop.

Having said that, I am as anxious as anyone to see JG get a chance.

I knew I would like this thread. Galette will get his chance as soon as we have a game winning lead. Its just unfair to him to be placed in critical situations w/o more gametime experience. Personally, I can't wait for him to crunch some QB's.

I knew I would like this thread. Galette will get his chance as soon as we have a game winning lead. Its just unfair to him to be placed in critical situations w/o more gametime experience. Personally, I can't wait for him to crunch some QB's.

Yeah, but he has to be active first. Hopefully he will develop quickly and turn out to be what we hope he will.

Tough question. Ricky Williams has been more dominant as an NFL player compared to when he played in Canada. You would think he would have dominated in Canada. I guess it depends on the style of play.

Yeah, but he has to be active first. Hopefully he will develop quickly and turn out to be what we hope he will.

I hope it's just a matter of time. I listened to Greg Williams explanation of the blown coverage where Carolina scored on the 55 yard TD. Initially, it looked like an obvious blown coverage by Jenkins. GW said had there been a better pass rush or better edge containment Clausen wouldn't have been able to extend the play. By doing that he was able to look off his target (where Jenkins was) and find the completion. Jenkins was playing off the normal "time in his head" where the ball should have been out-in which case he would have guessed correctly. My point? No pass rush throws our secondary out of wack. Now with injuries in our secondary the only way they survive is with a good pass rush. Junior could be the solution to our problem.

By a very large margin, NFL 3rd stringers. The guys in the CFL are there because 1- the didn't show the mental aptitude to absorb and develop and last even on an NFL practice squad, 2- the competition level of a team in the CFL isn't that great, so a marginal player looks better than he would.

Its like comparing players from St. Joe Schmoe never heard of college to players at Ohio St. or LSU. Sure, maybe a small % of those players slip through the cracks and are good enough to play in the NFL, but not enough to say that CFL starters are any degree better than most 3rd string NFL players. They'd make more money due to veteran minimums playing in the NFL, even as a back-up. Many of these guys simply don't translate to the complex NFL schemes against the superior NFL talent.

And in the few instances they do, the NFL finds them. See Cameron Wake (who still is a one trick pony and is a big ?? on run downs; point is NFL GM's scour the CFL and Arena and do their due dillegence to find that diamond in the rough. The reason more CFL starters aren't playind 2nd or 3rd string in the NFL? They aren't good enough (anymore or ever was) against NFL talent in NFL schemes.

Though maybe you will see a bigger % of talent in the future coming from the CFL because of the now defunct NFL Europe. Sometimes guys do have what it takes, but it takes longer for them to develop than training camp.

Tough question. Ricky Williams has been more dominant as an NFL player compared to when he played in Canada. You would think he would have dominated in Canada. I guess it depends on the style of play.

He did dominate in Canada. Till he broke his arm.

By a very large margin, NFL 3rd stringers. The guys in the CFL are there because 1- the didn't show the mental aptitude to absorb and develop and last even on an NFL practice squad, 2- the competition level of a team in the CFL isn't that great, so a marginal player looks better than he would.

Its like comparing players from St. Joe Schmoe never heard of college to players at Ohio St. or LSU. Sure, maybe a small % of those players slip through the cracks and are good enough to play in the NFL, but not enough to say that CFL starters are any degree better than most 3rd string NFL players. They'd make more money due to veteran minimums playing in the NFL, even as a back-up. Many of these guys simply don't translate to the complex NFL schemes against the superior NFL talent.

And in the few instances they do, the NFL finds them. See Cameron Wake (who still is a one trick pony and is a big ?? on run downs; point is NFL GM's scour the CFL and Arena and do their due dillegence to find that diamond in the rough. The reason more CFL starters aren't playind 2nd or 3rd string in the NFL? They aren't good enough (anymore or ever was) against NFL talent in NFL schemes.

Though maybe you will see a bigger % of talent in the future coming from the CFL because of the now defunct NFL Europe. Sometimes guys do have what it takes, but it takes longer for them to develop than training camp.

Well PJ... seems we think alike :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom