Some thoughts on the game vs. Indy. Cliffs: PRESSURE (1 Viewer)

Purple Haze

Taste it. You'll love it.
Reaction score
So here's the thing. I believe, as do a good majority of you do i'm sure, that the key to the Saints pulling out there first game is one boiled down to three words, and one in particular: Pressure Peyton Manning. Many have tried, as this seems pretty obvious. But therein lies a couple of huge problems. How do you go about it? You cannot just bring a ton of extra pressure, as he will pick you apart with short routes and dump-offs. You cannot commit to the pass and put extra pressure on the amazing receivers, thanks to a hometown boy named Addai.

I don't want to get into a lengthy synopsis, just wanted you guy's thoughts.

What's the plan? :hihi:

Actually I think the key to winning is long time eating scoring drives that keep the Colts O off the field and keeps them from getting in sync.

Actually I think the key to winning is long time eating scoring drives that keep the Colts O off the field and keeps them from getting in sync.

I think you're right and have a great point. I was just talking more defensively, although that could count.

So here's the thing. I believe, as do a good majority of you do i'm sure, that the key to the Saints pulling out there first game is one boiled down to three words, and one in particular: Pressure Peyton Manning. Many have tried, as this seems pretty obvious. But therein lies a couple of huge problems. How do you go about it? You cannot just bring a ton of extra pressure, as he will pick you apart with short routes and dump-offs. You cannot commit to the pass and put extra pressure on the amazing receivers, thanks to a hometown boy named Addai.

I don't want to get into a lengthy synopsis, just wanted you guy's thoughts.

What's the plan? :hihi:

I don't think we can do it well enough. The guy is very smart, usually knows what the D will do before the D does (LOL!), has authority to call his own plays, knows when to audible, and as you say "will pick you apart".

It will be loud for our O, and I originally thought it would be the best defense that wins.

Now I think ST may be the game changer.

We are evenly matched. This game will be decided by at least one big play. We need to get a turnover in this one. JMO.

ddd

I remember a couple of seasons ago the announcers for the colts vs steelers game saying that Manning has a harder time against man defenses or 3-4 coverage but picks apart cover 2. Anyone know his history against Man-Defenses?

:plus-un2:

I think it would be great to get pressure on PM, but is it likely? Indy is going to score 24+....we just need our offense to be better...It will be a battle of the offenses.

He has Harrison and Wayne. Also, he's Peyton FREAKING Manning.

My advice would be to outscore them.

Feh. It's the same plan against any other smart quarterback: limit his options.

You can't kill God, but you can poison his dog.

Like about 90% of all football games, controlling the LOS is going to be critical, and while it might seem counterintuitive, I would put a major emphasis on stopping the run and bringing pressure up the middle, while doing what I could to disguise coverages. He's like any other quarterback in that he's not nearly as good when he (i) can't keep the defense off balance and (ii) can't step up in the pocket at will, thereby having to use arm strength and back-foot throws occasionally.

You won't stop him completely, but the goal is to make their entire offense a little one-dimensional and at least somewhat less effective, conceding that a shutout is pretty damn unlikely.

We have a smart group of defenders that plays hard and consistently. We'll have a chance to get some three-and-outs and maybe hold some drives to a FG. In the meantime, I expect us to score, further pressuring their offense to keep up.

Yes, they're the defending SB champs and certainly deserving favorites. But coming in fresh off an off-season where there's no new book out on us yet, I like the coaching matchup, and I like our chances.

Others have pointed all of these out, but:

Deuce is a huge key in the game. Indy's Run D up the gut should be pretty terrible, so we have to keep on pounding Deuce and run the play action to great effect (as we often do). I don't want Payton to stop being Payton, but one of the best ways to stop Peyton is to keep him off the field. We do that with long, balanced drives and heaping helpings of Deuce.

As for on D...that's a tricky proposition. The Colts are going to score. Probably more than 21 points. I've been thinking a lot about it and I really think we pretty much need to play the nickel at all times, blitz early and often, and disguise coverages. We're going to have to show blitz later in the game and drop into coverages, etc.

It should be pretty interesting.

The way I see it...

Peyton has had his problems against 3-4 defenses simply because these 3-4 defense blitz the crap out of him. Pittsburgh, New England, and San Diego in particular... these 3 3teams normally send alot of guys at Peyton to disrupt his rythm.

I did read a while back from a camp recap that the Saints have been running some weird defensive alignments... we have seen some of this already with Roman Harper lining up at LB... I even saw somewhere when Charles Grant had lined up at MLB... so maybe in game one we will see a bunch of defenses that we have never seen before.

Offensively.. we can pretty much do whatever we want, because they have lost both DTs (Booger and Simon), they lost their best playmaking LB (June), they lost 3 guys from their secondary (Doss, Harper, and David)... this spells trouble for a Colts defense that has to defend an offense with a ton of weapons.

I still think the Colts will score some points... and that might be what this game comes down to... whoever outscores the other wins this game... the over/under has to be 80 for this game.

I remember Parcells Cowboys last year gave him trouble...I think all year long he ran a base 3-4 w/little blitzing as he liked to react to the run...Didnt work out too well against us though:hihi:

Ugoh looked much worse than Tarik Glenn would. Hopefully, being the first game of the season, Will Smith, will eat him alive.

I expect us to be fully clicking by week 3. I'm hoping we can get out of Indy with a win, but will be pleased with a good performance.

Of course, I won't be able to speak for a few days after the game.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom