Somewhat disappointed in USAA (1 Viewer)

saintfan

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I am a big fan of USAA as they have been my insurer for 35+ years. They have always treated me fairly, and I had no complaints when dealing with them after Katrina. What disapooints me in them in that last month or so I heard they lost a case in Mississippi when they refused to pay somebody's claim (the argument over water vs wind damage).

Today in the Times-Picayune there is a report that the Attorney General Charles Foti is targeting 6 insurance companies over storm damage payouts, claiming alleging collusion, price fixing and antitrust violations . These companies are:

All-State
State Farm
Farmer's Insurance Exchange
Standard Fire Insurance Company (Traveler's)
Lafayette Insurance Company (United Fire Group)
USAA

I am disappointed in that while they have always treated me fairly, that they would even be considered in such a suit. They are rated the best insurance company in the country in dealing with consumer claims and customer service.

To their credit, they were only one of two companies to have even made comments to the press, while the others refused to address the suit publicly.

http://blog.nola.com/times-picayune/2007/11/foti_sues_insurers_over_storm.html

I am a big fan of USAA as they have been my insurer for 35+ years. They have always treated me fairly, and I had no complaints when dealing with them after Katrina. What disapooints me in them in that last month or so I heard they lost a case in Mississippi when they refused to pay somebody's claim (the argument over water vs wind damage).

Today in the Times-Picayune there is a report that the Attorney General Charles Foti is targeting 6 insurance companies over storm damage payouts, claiming alleging collusion, price fixing and antitrust violations . These companies are:

All-State
State Farm
Farmer's Insurance Exchange
Standard Fire Insurance Company (Traveler's)
Lafayette Insurance Company (United Fire Group)
USAA

I am disappointed in that while they have always treated me fairly, that they would even be considered in such a suit. They are rated the best insurance company in the country in dealing with consumer claims and customer service.

To their credit, they were only one of two companies to have even made comments to the press, while the others refused to address the suit publicly.

http://blog.nola.com/times-picayune/2007/11/foti_sues_insurers_over_storm.html

Please take this lawsuit with a grain of salt. Foti is nearing the end of his reign and looks like a politician trying to "win" votes with this move. I think its not only bad for Louisiana and the state of the insurance market, but makes him look bad. Why now? why wait so long? If Mississippi is the argument, they have been going after Insurance Companies almost as soon as they learned of alleged transgressions against policyholders.

And who will benefit? IS the State the Plantiff? If the State wins, who gets the spoils?

As for the companies named, heck name em all so incase 1, just 1 out of 20,000 feels thier claim was improperly handeled, they can bring em in. Remember the old adage ....you can please some of the poeple all the time, but cannot please all the people all of the time...

It should be handled on an individual basis IMO. If a homeowner is not pleased they can present thier case to attn who can immediately see if the claim is valid.

Yeah I agree. USAA is much better than State Farm. Those are the only 2 I have had and I love USAA. I am guessing that the few claims they refused to pay they probably had a good reason. Everyone I know in MS that had USAA got everything they needed and some got more. You said yourself you had no problems with them as well. This makes me think someone is trying to get one over on them. Plus this guy simply named every major insurance group in Louisana in the suit. USAA may not have done anything.

T

USAA did a wonderful, wonderful job with my parents after the storm. I know nothing else about them and don't have too. I'm very grateful with how they handled them after Katrina.

Just to give an anecdote. My parents happened to casually mention how much their utility bills had gone up post-storm because of the damage to their house and the person they were dealing with from USAA told them that USAA covers the difference in utility bills due to damage. My parents were completely unaware and otherwise never would have gotten that. Further, USAA applied that retroactively and compensated them for the months before when my parents had no idea.

Two words explain it all: Charles Foti. What an idiot.

Yeah just because they are named in the suit I wouldn't consider it a poor reflection on USAA. Everything USAA has done for me (insurance, banking, mortgages) has been great and I have nothing bad to say about them. And considering nearly everything else I have to deal with I or my wife can find something to complain about, I think that says a lot for USAA.

One of the pilots I work with has USAA and he still is fighting with his insurer over Katrina 2+ years later. Lawsuits galore. He had bad wind & structural damage, no flooding. So like everything else in this world, your mileage may vary.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom