Terry Fontenot - Saints will be aggressive in FA (1 Viewer)

nosaints213

ad majorem dei gloriam
Reaction score
I wonder if this means we'll target a few high-priced FAs or spread the wealth a little bit.

"I'm so excited about this offseason because I think we have a really good locker room ... and some awesome guys, and we have some good pieces on the team," Fontenot said Wednesday. "There's a lot to be excited about moving forward with this team, and I think we all know that we're right there (and) if we, in free agency, in the draft process, after free agency, on the waiver wire, if we add some pieces and supplement this roster with the right guys, we know what this team can be, man.

"You look at our coaching; you look at our players on the roster. I think anybody affiliated with the team knows how close this team is, and if we do the right things this offseason, we could be real good next year. I think we all know that, and so with that, we're just focused on the process and focused on doing our job and adding some pieces to help this team."

"We want to be aggressive, but yet who knows how things are going to play out," Fontenot said.

Saints' Terry Fontenot excited to have cap space, hopes to be aggressive in free agency | NOLA.com

Of course. There's a real good chance SP and possibly Loomis will not be around in 2018 if we don't make a playoff run in 2017. I just hope we don't mortgage the future with back loaded contracts like we often do. I think many will be surprised that we do go after a few big name, high dollar FAs on defense and maybe an OG.

The only two pieces that needs intimidate improvement to contend that won't happen overnight in the draft is LB and DE.

An elite LB should be a number one priority in the off-season and drafting a passrushing DE with that first pick. If we can get a game-changing and not go small in the nickle. Defense should improve a lot.

The only two pieces that needs intimidate improvement to contend that won't happen overnight in the draft is LB and DE.

An elite LB should be a number one priority in the off-season and drafting a passrushing DE with that first pick. If we can get a game-changing and not go small in the nickle. Defense should improve a lot.

Based on what Ireland said earlier today, they likely still think Steph Anthony can become that player. I'm not sure we spend big $ on a FA LB, and I don't think we spend a high draft pick either. Between Anthony, Robertson, and Ellerbe (plus we added Bighill, who is intriguing), I think we're set. Especially when you consider how much time we spend in Nickel and 3-safety looks.

I concur, or vice versa

Based on what Ireland said earlier today, they likely still think Steph Anthony can become that player. I'm not sure we spend big $ on a FA LB, and I don't think we spend a high draft pick either. Between Anthony, Robertson, and Ellerbe (plus we added Bighill, who is intriguing), I think we're set. Especially when you consider how much time we spend in Nickel and 3-safety looks.
You could be right, but it sure didn't feel set even at the end of the year.

Robertson is the only one that gets me excited about the position and Ellerby has yet to prove he can stay healthy enough to play more than a few games straight since he's been in the NFL. He's got ability, but he needs more availability.

You could be right, but it sure didn't feel set even at the end of the year.

Robertson is the only one that gets me excited about the position and Ellerby has yet to prove he can stay healthy enough to play more than a few games straight since he's been in the NFL. He's got ability, but he needs more availability.

I think we will look for another Robinson/Stupar in FA. Players that can compete for the starting positions and provide good depth/STs.

I honeslty would put DE, OG, and CB above LBer.

I admittedly recognize that when we played atlanta we were dominated by their RBs, particularly in the passing game and a lot of those issues can be attributed to our LBers, but in all actuality, the way atlanta used their RBs this year was amazing. It honestly gave me a great perspective, from the other side of fandom of what we looked like when our offense was clicking.

I think we will look for another Robinson/Stupar in FA. Players that can compete for the starting positions and provide good depth/STs.

I honeslty would put DE, OG, and CB above LBer.

I admittedly recognize that when we played atlanta we were dominated by their RBs, particularly in the passing game and a lot of those issues can be attributed to our LBers, but in all actuality, the way atlanta used their RBs this year was amazing. It honestly gave me a great perspective, from the other side of fandom of what we looked like when our offense was clicking.
I completely agree. Atlanta has two very dynamic running backs that can double as receivers out of the backfield. It's difficult enough to find one, yet alone, two. We need to build our defense to stop Atlanta; that means having linebackers that can cover decently and a pass rush that gets pressure in less than 3 seconds. It sounds easy to achieve, yet it'll be difficult for it to come to fruition.

I can see us pursuing a high priced CB or pass rusher.

I'm fine with mortgaging the future if we can actually hit on good players in free agency.

Had Galette, Byrd, Spiller, and Graham all worked out we wouldnt have cared about our cap situation the last few years.

If we go all in, and with players that work out, I'm fine with a major dead money year 3-4 seasons in the future, especially if it keeps Drew here 3 more seasons so he can break all the records.

Active and successful are two different things. It would be interesting to understand the FO logic for trying to throw big money at Josh Norman yet thinking that James Laurinaitis was going to fix our MLB'r issues? Love the low risk signing of Nick Fairley but then there is the head scratcher of cutting Jahri when we obviously needed him greatly (and were lucky to sign him back). Then there are the other whiffs that feel like Payton moves (Spiller & Lewis) without proper due diligence...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom