The 2017 Draft (along with UDFAs): How do you like it? (1 Viewer)

2017 Draft (& UDFAs): How did you like it?

• Love it

Votes: 92 71.9%
  • Hate it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meh...

Votes: 7 5.5%
  • Reserving judgment

Votes: 29 22.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

El Caliente

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
70002 via 92243 via 48109 via 92122 via 70119
I think the team filled a lot of holes (that's what she said), and we are going to see a 2006 level contribution from this rookie class.

Marshon Lattimore- Expect a Marcus Peterson type impact from him. He can do things with his body that many veterans can't.
Ryan Ramczyk- Any holes on our o-line just got plugged with this pick.He si going to battle Strief, and if he wins that battle, the Saints will win many games on the backs of the oline. Between him (23), TA (25), Peat (23), Warford (25), and Ungar (31), we now have one of the youngest lines in the NFL.
Marcus Williams- Do you like takeaways, he is going to get you your takeaways. He won't play every down, but he will get a lot of playing time.
Alvin Kamara- We have our Joker. He (like Williams) wont see a lot of snaps, but what he will see are plenty of opportunities to impact games.
Alex Anzalone- Quite honestly, his impact will be on Special Teams (at best) this year, and thats fine. Our special teams havent exactly been lighting the world on fire.
Trey Hendrickson- Maybe you see an Onyemata type, mid-late season impact from him. Early on he will only be used on obvious passing downs, but as the season progresses, and as necessity dictates, you will most likely see him come in for more than just the obvious pass rush.

Al-Quadin Muhammad- Here is your Rufus Johnson/Greg Romeus/Ronald Powell project pass rusher.

In the UDFA group you have:
Devaroe Lawrence - DT - Auburn- His legal troubles caused his stock to drop more than his play did. He has talent, he just needs to keep his head on straight.

Sae Tautu - LB - BYU- I am counting on him to make the team. BYU's DC had guys playing out of position last year, and "Oh no, not the legs!" This kid was a hard hitter. He brought the wood, and laid low a few people. With 4.55 speed, he is an edge rusher.

Travin Dural - WR - LSU- Another guy with a draftable grade. Can playing with a real qb get him noticed? PS player now, who knows what later.

Cameron Tom- This guy was a 4 year starter. I don't think he is a starter, but I think he could make it to camp, and possibly to the practice squad.

Cameron Lee - G - Illinois State- Another guy with a draftable grade. With work, he (like most of our olineman picks) could be a solid depth option.

Arthur Maulet - CB - Memphis- small and slow don't equate to long lasting careers, but in the slot, this could be your guy. Possible practice squad player.

Colin Buchanan - G/T - Miami (OH)- He had a draftable grade (some had him rated as a 3rd round pick). Solid depth player here, possibly low tier starter.

In a year I would love to revisit this thread and see where things stand.

(I voted loved it)

I only reserve judgment because how they execute on the field and deal with injuries determines this draft.

If I didn't have the option to reserve, I'd say I love it. We addressed need with patience, took BPA when the chances were there, didn't do anything stupid to make a statement.

Kudos, Mickey Loomis. Great job, Sean Payton.

You all may not be around to reap the benefits, but on the surface and at first glance, the 2017 NFL draft has been well manipulated and mastered by the New Orleans Saints front office.

Following three consecutive 7-9 seasons, the team with the explosive offense and lackluster defense needed to shake things up. The haul they’ve achieved with four rounds still left to go is quite impressive. There’s no guarantee prospects ever live up to their pre-draft billing, but in a deep defensive draft, New Orleans did their job in acquiring players who have a great chance at, well, being great.

Saints

:gosaints:

I love it! The happiest I've ever been after a draft. Rarely does need and value converge for a team, but most all of our picks did just that. A DE that fit that scenario a little earlier would have made it a perfect draft. But I'll take a great one!

I think the team filled a lot of holes (that's what she said), and we are going to see a 2006 level contribution from this rookie class. We have our Joker, our Ram Jam, our lock down corner, a takeaway machine, we have a lot of talent that is going to help us right out the gate (possibly more if we can get some pass rush from our final two picks).

In a year I would love to revisit this thread and see where things stand.

(I voted loved it)
I give the draft an 8/10. Defense was the motive, and they addressed it. I wasn't too high on the Williams selection since we had Bell already, but I'm sure he'll carve out a role

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Can anyone post a link to Tautu tape? I can't find any more than one play long...

I think we're all kind of reserving judgment until they actually prove it on the field. But with this class, there's no faulting the FO. These are not reach picks that we're hoping turn into hidden gems. On paper this is a phenomenal draft class. Mayock has been the real draft guru for a while now, and I think he'd consider the Saints class top 3 in the league.

Alex Anzalone- Quite honestly, his impact will be on Special Teams (at best) this year, and thats fine.

SP's presser he spoke about Anzalone, and how versatile he is. Can play every LB position, great instincts, very good in coverage, good w/ blitzes. When asked where SP envisions him, he of course said we will see but off the top he thinks WILL (due to his coverage skills).

Saying that to say, I think he could come in and contribute much more then on SPT's

I give the draft an 8/10. Defense was the motive, and they addressed it. I wasn't too high on the Williams selection since we had Bell already, but I'm sure he'll carve out a role

But it all but ensures that we won't be seeing Roman Harper back in a playing role, maybe coaching, but we need younger faster players on the field.

I believe (need to look it up) the Saints were in a base D last season only 34% of the time. Which means most often they were in some form of nickel coverage. Williams is a ball hawk, and will be on the field a ton this season. Mark it down.

I'm really loving this class. Only time will tell, but the quality of the players we drafted seems excellent. I was just listening to a local sports radio show here in the Tampa market and they had a PFF analyst on the phone. The hosts asked him whose draft class stood out and he first mentioned the 9ers then went on to give high praise for what our Saints did. Said we got the best corner and tackle in the draft and he loved the Kamara pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom