The Demonstrations in Minnesota (Update: Now Nationwide){Now International} (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Read the entire listed of Tweets from Ed O'Keefe under the linked Tweet. Apparently CBS News has audio of the call with the Governors :jpshakehead: :

Eager to see how this will be defended? And I’m sure it will be here. Will there be any virtue signaling and rioting or looting etc. over what happened to this man? Or is it ok because he’s just a white guy? Will it get the same no MSM attention and outrage as the elderly white couple assassinated by the black man while visiting their dead son’s grave? Or the same coverage as the two elderly white people beaten to a pulp by the young black boxer, and filmed?
I know the answer. Sadly. It’s ok to murder white people
Anyone who defends this is as trash as the people in the video.

Did that happen in a vacuum? Do you know what led to that beating or does it even matter?

I'm asking because I've seen plenty of white and black people rioting together and haven't seen them turning on and attacking each other. The times I have seen it is because of the white guy was spewing racist BS.

That's not an excuse for ganging up and beating the guy to a pulp, just the reason that isn't all that surprising given the circumstances. And if that was the reason the mob turned on him, I don't have much sympathy or empathy for him.

Every media clip of a Former President commenting on the actions of a Current President? Cross-Party, Same Party. It doesn't matter. From meme's to actual comments. If a Prior President doesn't agree with a Current President that is the story that runs for it's 15 mins of spotlight until the next comment is made.

From "Thanks Obama" to "Miss me Yet" to Regan/Bush commenting of Clinton's Impeachment to Clinton bashing Bush's response to Hurricane Katrina to Obama Bashing Trump on multiple occasions. It is not party specific but it is politics.
Ok, we need to pivot back to the point that the article Obama wrote was. He's not trashing the current admin. He doesn't even mention them.

He's talking about protest, violence, and translating that to political action. He's a calming influence on an uncalm situation. Take this part...

Second, I’ve heard some suggest that the recurrent problem of racial bias in our criminal justice system proves that only protests and direct action can bring about change, and that voting and participation in electoral politics is a waste of time. I couldn’t disagree more. The point of protest is to raise public awareness, to put a spotlight on injustice, and to make the powers that be uncomfortable; in fact, throughout American history, it’s often only been in response to protests and civil disobedience that the political system has even paid attention to marginalized communities. But eventually, aspirations have to be translated into specific laws and institutional practices — and in a democracy, that only happens when we elect government officials who are responsive to our demands.

Moreover, it’s important for us to understand which levels of government have the biggest impact on our criminal justice system and police practices. When we think about politics, a lot of us focus only on the presidency and the federal government. And yes, we should be fighting to make sure that we have a president, a Congress, a U.S. Justice Department, and a federal judiciary that actually recognize the ongoing, corrosive role that racism plays in our society and want to do something about it. But the elected officials who matter most in reforming police departments and the criminal justice system work at the state and local levels.

It’s mayors and county executives that appoint most police chiefs and negotiate collective bargaining agreements with police unions. It’s district attorneys and state’s attorneys that decide whether or not to investigate and ultimately charge those involved in police misconduct. Those are all elected positions. In some places, police review boards with the power to monitor police conduct are elected as well. Unfortunately, voter turnout in these local races is usually pitifully low, especially among young people — which makes no sense given the direct impact these offices have on social justice issues, not to mention the fact that who wins and who loses those seats is often determined by just a few thousand, or even a few hundred, votes.

So, let's all get off that tangent, and if you want to address the merits of what was written in this article, then go for it to a point.

it's actually exactly what I told my kid. What will he do about it in a month from now? in 6 months? Protest doesn't fix anything, it bring attention. Guess what, attention.. .Mission Accomplished!

Now, let's have some action.

Ok, we need to pivot back to the point that the article Obama wrote was. He's not trashing the current admin. He doesn't even mention them.

He's talking about protest, violence, and translating that to political action. He's a calming influence on an uncalm situation. Take this part...

So, let's all get off that tangent, and if you want to address the merits of what was written in this article, then go for it to a point.

it's actually exactly what I told my kid. What will he do about it in a month from now? in 6 months? Protest doesn't fix anything, it bring attention. Guess what, attention.. .Mission Accomplished!

Former President Obama's call to action is a good one. Let's hope it doesn't fall on deaf ears.

But the attention is now focused on property destruction, civil unrest and the President's actions and not on the death of a man caused by a reckless Police Officer.

But the attention is now focused on property destruction, civil unrest and the President's actions and not on the death of a man caused by reckless racist Police Officers.

Fixed it!

No one has forgotten George Floyd, I can assure you. Nearly every protest includes a "say his name" chant, not to mention the multiple signs bearing his name. There has certainly been an attempt by some to move the discussion away from racism to demonizing the protests, but the people protesting haven't forgotten why they do it, I promise you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom