The fight for the ownership of the Denver Broncos is getting ugly. (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/12/sports/football/bowlen-denver-broncos-owners.html

https://deadspin.com/the-intrafamily-squabble-for-ownership-of-the-broncos-i-1831048485

This is starting to get bad with the Bowden family fighting over ownership of this team.

The Broncos are 3 years removed from hoisting a Lombardi trophy in SB 50. They are one of the most storied franchises in NFL history with a long line of success reaching playoffs and winning 3 SBs.

This could get very bad for them. Makes you thankful our ownership has not turned into this kind of mess.

We weren’t really that far from this kind of mess only a few years ago.

We weren’t really that far from this kind of mess only a few years ago.

That's why I posted it here. I'm thankful it didn't turn out like this. Broncos fans may be in for a rough ride through all of this. It's crazy to think about how they just won a SB a few years ago and now this is happening.

Thankfully Rita showed her true nature while Tom was still alive and he could create a succession plan that didn’t involve her. If Tom had passed 6-7 years earlier it could have been rough.

I don't know what to think of this... The trust must not like her. Firing her for going back to school to get an advance degree. They went to every length to discredit her and some reason "choose" the youngest daughter.

Either she must be a bad apple or the trustee are really stalling to be in power for as long as they can. Crazy situation to be in...

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/12/sports/football/bowlen-denver-broncos-owners.html

https://deadspin.com/the-intrafamily-squabble-for-ownership-of-the-broncos-i-1831048485

This is starting to get bad with the Bowden family fighting over ownership of this team.

The Broncos are 3 years removed from hoisting a Lombardi trophy in SB 50. They are one of the most storied franchises in NFL history with a long line of success reaching playoffs and winning 3 SBs.

This could get very bad for them. Makes you thankful our ownership has not turned into this kind of mess.
It came close with Rita.

I think the dude in the sunglasses in the Deadspin link should get the team. He looks like he'd be really fun.

This reminds me, I need to formalize a living will. And I ain’t even rich.

This reminds me, I need to formalize a living will. And I ain’t even rich.

It doesn't take a lot. If there are fissures in the family, it can get ugly over the smallest things. Property is one of the worst things from what I hear. I've seen a $250,000 home (split 5 ways) spoil relationships. I can only imagine a 2.6 billion dollar franchise.

Last edited:
My Mom, Aunts, and Uncle have been fighting for over a year over my Grandpa's sheetty 150k house...imagine 2.6 billion is rough.

They were talking about this on local sports radio last night. The trust seems to be pretty blatantly favoring Brittany Bowlen, but it kind of sounds like (or at least they're trying to make it appear as if) Pat Bowlen had identified her to be his designated successor. Or perhaps there was an unwritten sentiment that ("of course") Pat's successor would be one of his children with Annabel (wife #2), and then Beth showed up from Hawaii and had the audacity to try and horn her way in. The criteria established to become controlling owner includes having an advanced degree plus five years of "senior management" working experience with the team, league or stadium. Beth worked for the team for three years and then went back to school to get her law degree, but since then has since been frozen out from going back to work for the Broncos.

With the Saints I do worry about what will happen should anything happen to Mrs. Benson. I think it probably worked out for the best for the team and the city of New Orleans that she became the heir and now owns the team instead of Rita, but who will be her successor? She's not quite as old as Tom, but she'll be 72 early next year. If/when she passes, will Rita try to make a play for the team? Will it be sold? A plan needs to be put in place, if they don't have one already.

They were talking about this on local sports radio last night. The trust seems to be pretty blatantly favoring Brittany Bowlen, but it kind of sounds like (or at least they're trying to make it appear as if) Pat Bowlen had identified her to be his designated successor. Or perhaps there was an unwritten sentiment that ("of course") Pat's successor would be one of his children with Annabel (wife #2), and then Beth showed up from Hawaii and had the audacity to try and horn her way in. The criteria established to become controlling owner includes having an advanced degree plus five years of "senior management" working experience with the team, league or stadium. Beth worked for the team for three years and then went back to school to get her law degree, but since then has since been frozen out from going back to work for the Broncos.

With the Saints I do worry about what will happen should anything happen to Mrs. Benson. I think it probably worked out for the best for the team and the city of New Orleans that she became the heir and now owns the team instead of Rita, but who will be her successor? She's not quite as old as Tom, but she'll be 72 early next year. If/when she passes, will Rita try to make a play for the team? Will it be sold? A plan needs to be put in place, if they don't have one already.

Before the NFL will approve a new owner, one stipulation is that they have an established succession plan. So Rita already has one ready to go if something were to happen to her. We just don't know what that plan entails, and it's likely we won't know until the end of her life, which I hope is a few decades away!

Before the NFL will approve a new owner, one stipulation is that they have an established succession plan. So Rita already has one ready to go if something were to happen to her. We just don't know what that plan entails, and it's likely we won't know until the end of her life, which I hope is a few decades away!
Rita ready to go? I thought she was written out of any succession plan.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom