The greatest guitar duel of all time (1 Viewer)

there really is only one answer for that question
Tony Levin?
Stanley Clarke?
Jaco Pastorius?
EDIT: Charles Mingus? (correcting brain dead error!)
Chris Squire?
Geddy Lee?
John Entwistle?

Personally, I'd argue for Tony Levin, but as has mentioned by several posters, genre plays into the equation so it's hard to compare Stanley Clarke or Jaco Pastorius to people like Chris Squire and Geddy Lee. Then again, Levin has played extensively in many different genres, so there's that for my argument.

Last edited:
Tony Levin?
Stanley Clarke?
Jaco Pastorius?
Thelonious Monk?
Chris Squire?
Geddy Lee?
John Entwistle?

Personally, I'd argue for Tony Levin, but as has mentioned by several posters, genre plays into the equation so it's hard to compare Stanley Clarke or Jaco Pastorius to people like Chris Squire and Geddy Lee. Then again, Levin has played extensively in many different genres, so there's that for my argument.
Yeah. Think AP was hinting at Les Claypool. But I’d throw Muzz Skillings and/or Doug Wimbish on that list.

you know, Flea is pretty talented but he's hamstrung by being in a band that makes the same song over and over

the correct answer is Beefcake the Mighty from Gwar

He is and yes RHCP has made the same song for the past 20 years.

But, I know your one true love is Les Claypool.

Tony Levin?
Stanley Clarke?
Jaco Pastorius?
Thelonious Monk?
Chris Squire?
Geddy Lee?
John Entwistle?

How does Rocco Prestia not make this list?

How does Rocco Prestia not make this list?
While we're on bass players - Charles Berthoud would like a word (and he highlights a large number of quite talented players around the world if you watch other videos on his channel) -

And Jim Stafford....

Wow! I'm a hard rock kinda dude, but as a little kid, I always sat still to watch Roy Clark on hee-haw. Buck Owens...meh....Roy Clark...WOW! But I had NO IDEA Jim Stafford was such a shredder! Thanks for the share....I thoroughly enjoyed that! Hell....Ima watch it again! ;-P

Wow! I'm a hard rock kinda dude, but as a little kid, I always sat still to watch Roy Clark on hee-haw. Buck Owens...meh....Roy Clark...WOW! But I had NO IDEA Jim Stafford was such a shredder! Thanks for the share....I thoroughly enjoyed that! Hell....Ima watch it again! ;-P
I'm the same. I've always been a rocker. That said, if you can't appreciate Clarks genius I don't know what
to tell you. It's not only the guitar he masters,he masters any instrument that has a string.

I offer Roy Clark...

Roy Clark and Chet Atkins....my favorite bluegrass guys who actually played multiple styles, they could play anything......great, great innovators.....

Tony Levin?
Stanley Clarke?
Jaco Pastorius?
Thelonious Monk?
Chris Squire?
Geddy Lee?
John Entwistle?

All great players, I would add Victor Wooton and Dave LaRue to that list....the thing almost all those guys have in common is they can play multiple genres....

Thelonious Monk was a pianist, a great one....not a bass player....

Oops, yes, I'll attribute that to brain death. I was thinking of Mingus, not Monk! I edited it just now. I'm an idiot... :rolleyes:

Far from it, honest mistake and Mingus belongs on any list.....

As for current guitarists still out there, I think this guy is mind-blowing.....

These lists are always interesting to hear other's perspectives, and they are COMPLETELY subjective. Music is meant to be an emotional experience, so it only makes sense that different people, with different perspectives will have different emotional experiences.

I don't think I'm any special judge of talent, but I can acknowledge mind-blowing talent when I see it....even if it's not "my preference". But when given the choice between a technically proficient and brilliant player, and the emotive, expressive player that speaks to my soul; I'll be wowed by the first, and TOTALLY appreciate the sacrifices and time it took to achieve and demonstrate that level, but I'll choose the 2nd. There's a sweet spot somewhere in the middle of that spectrum, and I imagine THAT is different for everyone also. I have no reservations in admitting that Steve Vai appears to be a more technically proficient player than Ry Cooder; but MOST of the time, I'd prefer to listen to Ry Cooder play guitar....with a little Vai action to break it up. I'm "Flex-able" like that, LOL!

Anyone who has studied macroenomics is familiar with the "guns vs. butter" curves on supply & demand graphs, with the intersection representing the optimal mix of guns & butter IN THAT MOMENT of time. I think music is analogous because I think when you first start playing music, you are 100% emotional expression and close to 0% technical proficiency. I think that, as you practice and become more technically proficient, you lose some of your emotive expression. This is why so many technically proficient shred guitarists have so many fans who are similarly inclined, but so few fans in the mainstream. A 15 minute guitar solo of jaw-dropping and mind-blowing fret gymastics may make you say "WOW!", but will you listen again, or will it even catch on with others? Usually....NOT!

So I think these discussions are interesting because you get to see what other folks' "proficiency vs. emotion" curves look like. The only thing I'd add is that someone always gets left out of the discussion, and there are NO wrong answers. Keep 'em coming!

These lists are always interesting to hear other's perspectives, and they are COMPLETELY subjective. Music is meant to be an emotional experience, so it only makes sense that different people, with different perspectives will have different emotional experiences.

I don't think I'm any special judge of talent, but I can acknowledge mind-blowing talent when I see it....even if it's not "my preference". But when given the choice between a technically proficient and brilliant player, and the emotive, expressive player that speaks to my soul; I'll be wowed by the first, and TOTALLY appreciate the sacrifices and time it took to achieve and demonstrate that level, but I'll choose the 2nd. There's a sweet spot somewhere in the middle of that spectrum, and I imagine THAT is different for everyone also. I have no reservations in admitting that Steve Vai appears to be a more technically proficient player than Ry Cooder; but MOST of the time, I'd prefer to listen to Ry Cooder play guitar....with a little Vai action to break it up. I'm "Flex-able" like that, LOL!

Anyone who has studied macroenomics is familiar with the "guns vs. butter" curves on supply & demand graphs, with the intersection representing the optimal mix of guns & butter IN THAT MOMENT of time. I think music is analogous because I think when you first start playing music, you are 100% emotional expression and close to 0% technical proficiency. I think that, as you practice and become more technically proficient, you lose some of your emotive expression. This is why so many technically proficient shred guitarists have so many fans who are similarly inclined, but so few fans in the mainstream. A 15 minute guitar solo of jaw-dropping and mind-blowing fret gymastics may make you say "WOW!", but will you listen again, or will it even catch on with others? Usually....NOT!

So I think these discussions are interesting because you get to see what other folks' "proficiency vs. emotion" curves look like. The only thing I'd add is that someone always gets left out of the discussion, and there are NO wrong answers. Keep 'em coming!

I can't like this post enough.....brilliantly spoken....

Being a rather sloppy guitarist myself, I love guitar players....There is no best, there are only personal favorites.....and it's not even that simple.....I have an overall favorite (Steve Morse) because I value the dynamic players out there and there are very few of them (that can play multiple genres/styles well). But I also have different favorites for different genres/styles.....example,

Spiritual favorites include - SRV, Hendrix and Derek Trucks
Technical favorites - Paco, DiMeola, Morse, Govan, Roy Clark

and so on.....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom