The man or bear hypothetical (2 Viewers)

Oh and for the record - the Internet hypersensitive agenda trolls win again... making up a completely non-sensical hypothetical situation for everyone with too much free time and brain free space to idlily fret over... hook - line - sinker

Why not a tender young male with a choice between being stuck in the forest with a cougar... or *gasp* a cougar!?!?!?

*EDIT* - I also thought this specific question was already answered in reality - Because when I watch Naked and Afraid - the Male and Female will nearly always work as a team, regardless of the terrain, to avoid being eaten or killed by wildlife and dangerous critters... so it was a bunk question to begin with.

Last edited:
If you haven't seen this one lately, then congrats, you have a fulfilling life and don't waste any time on the internet. Because it's everywhere. Someone posted it in the "bear attack" thread, but it didn't get much traction there, so here we go.

The hypothetical was posed "Would you rather be alone in the woods with a bear or alone in the woods with a man (who is a random stranger)."

One point of note here is that women choose bear in overwhelming large numbers.

A second point of note is any man who says why it would be foolish to choose bear is widely labeled a predatory incel. "You're the reason we all choose bear" and so forth.

I don't think either choice is necessarily more foolish than the other. Clearly women deal with a lot more danger from a man that most men would, both in terms of physical harm and emotional trauma. And who am I to say that someone is foolish for preferring a medium likelihood of being violently mauled to a medium likelihood of being harassed or made to feel uncomfortable (plus a better than zero chance of being killed).

But what I find more fascinating than the hypothetical itself is just how well it incapsulates the internet as a whole. Women in large numbers taking an absurd position just to show us men that they see us as the real threat. Then men in large numbers getting all butthurt because how dare you think I'm more dangerous than a bear! Then all the incel name calling because how dare you point out the logical flaws to my largely symbolic response.

Anyway, all that being said, man is the correct answer and anything else isn't taking certain factors into consideration.
I understand the women's choice, a bear would be my choice as well.

It IS my choice because anytime I go alone into the woods I'm alone with a bear, and I do go alone into the woods. Therefore ...

Same thing for women, if they go alone into the woods they'll be alone with a bear, they might take along a random strange if they want, a bear will not be interested in sex...

:cautious:

A bear would be most interested in having an opened can of cat food. Just peel the lid off and toss the can and food part between their feet.

Hopefully the can will roll a long way beyond their feet, that will cause the bear to turn around and move to where the can is.

Hopefully the bear will have some difficulty getting the food out of the can. That will give one time to back away. If you got more cans of cat food, open one once in a while and drop it on your back trail as you move on out of there. Leave that bear behind.

• 1Like
Reactions: cpg
But this is "would you take a 90% chance of death by firing squad or a 10% chance of death by injection administered by a man?" and the answers are coming back "if a man's doing the injection, then give me the firing squad."
It's not.

Hard for men to reconcile answers like that. Which all goes back to the OP and the construct I find most fascinating about this whole exercise is how people are reacting to the answers.
I don't find it hard to reconcile, because I get what the question is trying to reflect. You are just fixated on an actual, literal situation of man vs bear.

There are a couple female accts I follow as they give some perspective. This is one. She doesn't roast or make fun of so much as point out the logic fails as she sees em

I rest my case.
Getting stuck on 11 does nothing for your case.

There are a couple female accts I follow as they give some perspective. This is one. She doesn't roast or make fun of so much as point out the logic fails as she sees em

The Dadvocate. She puts out some really good stuff. You can tell when people here have fallen into that poisoned echo chamber.

Never heard of this before (one of the rare ones I guess) but I'd prefer the man. I know man better than bear. I know I'm man's friend straight away by default, the way I see life. Bear, not quite sure of his feelings, maybe he's hungry. Man is easier to read and I have confidence physically against a man more so than bear.

Never heard of this before (one of the rare ones I guess) but I'd prefer the man. I know man better than bear. I know I'm man's friend straight away by default, the way I see life. Bear, not quite sure of his feelings, maybe he's hungry. Man is easier to read and I have confidence physically against a man more so than bear.
This analysis is spot on, and also misses the point of the last 8 pages of discussion.

At this point in time, I don't understand why you wouldn't put your daughters in self-defense classes at an early age and also teach them how to handle a gun + gun safety when they reach a proper age. My daughter is going into self-defense classes asap and will know her way around a gun when she comes of age. Maybe when many had kids, you didn't need to do this in the old world. I see 0 reason why you wouldn't do this in today's climate of weirdos and mass shooters, give her a fighters chance should something go down. There are WAY too many young women today who are crippled with anxiety every time they're out and about alone these days when doing mundane every day stuff. This will at least give her some confidence.

I want to instill a pure FAFO with my daughter. (F around and find out)

The overwhelming negativity and attempt to steer towards a confirmation bias per this question is what I see. In a world where we want "everyone to be equal and fair and love one another", it's hypotheticals like this that only divide. Clearly, this is a loaded question looking for a specific answer.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom