The Saints defense is soft out in the elements (1 Viewer)

FFSaint

uh, no.
Reaction score
Before I get railed on this, stop and consider this: Ray Rice, who was having a below average year, ran the ball down our throats and gave us fits out of the backfield. Michael Turner and the falcons were rolling on the ground and completely got shut down. From a week to week basis, good defenses don't just all of a sudden get THAT much better. Can anyone attribute the disparity in rushing yards allowed between week 15 & 16 to anything other than outside in the cold vs dome?

I'm not trying to troll. This is a serious question that needs to be answered without our black and gold glasses on. I think this is a subconscious realization that we all have come to and to illustrate I would like to ask you how you feel about us matching up with the Bears PERIOD. Then how do you feel about it if I told you that game would be played outside at 30F with 20mph winds?

Ivory will be back by then. Drew is great on those short passes that are not effected as much by snow and wind.
Beside Patriots killed them in the snow.
Not worried about the D at all.

We don't play well in the cold, especially on D. This showed in both the Cinci game and Bmore game. We were sluggish, and it showed.

IMO if we have to go to say to the iggles or to chicago i think it would be wise to go a couple days early to practice in that environment, or maybe some other cold weather environment just to get adjusted to it so its not such a shock. If they can get more accustomed to it i think they would be okay.

Indeed. I think the Saints should be practicing in the Metrodome right now.

Ray Rice and Michael Turner are 2 totally different kind of backs. Rice has the speed to beat our slow OLBs to the edge and take advantage of cut back lanes as well as the ability to evade tackles. Turner doesn't, he has to rely on his brute power to break tackles and gain yardage. Our d-line did a great job at either stopping him before he gained momentum or turning him outside.

Can't blame the weather.

Before I get railed on this, stop and consider this: Ray Rice, who was having a below average year, ran the ball down our throats and gave us fits out of the backfield. Michael Turner and the falcons were rolling on the ground and completely got shut down. From a week to week basis, good defenses don't just all of a sudden get THAT much better. Can anyone attribute the disparity in rushing yards allowed between week 15 & 16 to anything other than outside in the cold vs dome?

I'm not trying to troll. This is a serious question that needs to be answered without our black and gold glasses on. I think this is a subconscious realization that we all have come to and to illustrate I would like to ask you how you feel about us matching up with the Bears PERIOD. Then how do you feel about it if I told you that game would be played outside at 30F with 20mph winds?

I have a tendency to agree with this. They seemed reluctant to hit in the cold. Understandable from a certain perspective, but it's their job to hit.

Ray Rice and Michael Turner are 2 totally different kind of backs. Rice has the speed to beat our slow OLBs to the edge and take advantage of cut back lanes as well as the ability to evade tackles. Turner doesn't, he has to rely on his brute power to break tackles and gain yardage. Our d-line did a great job at either stopping him before he gained momentum or turning him outside.

Can't blame the weather.

lol

You just killed this thread. Thanks

Can't blame the weather.

While I agree with you analysis of the contrasting styles of running between Rice and Turner, didnt most of Rice's big runs come from running between the tackles?

The defense shut the run down in Cincy pretty well, and it also got gashed by Turner in the Dome the first time the teams played. You're drawing a pretty big conclusion from just one game, and ignoring evidence that clearly goes against your conclusion. That is what makes (Mode Edit, mv :nono:), above all else.

Last edited by a moderator:
From a week to week basis, good defenses don't just all of a sudden get THAT much better. Can anyone attribute the disparity in rushing yards allowed between week 15 & 16 to anything other than outside in the cold vs dome?

you learn from your mistakes and build on them :9:

The defense shut the run down in Cincy pretty well, and it also got gashed by Turner in the Dome the first time the team played. You're drawing a pretty big conclusion from just one game. That is what makes this (Mod Edit), above all else.

Well you're comparing two games that happened 13 or so weeks apart. It is more conceivable for a team to improve over that span of time than it is for it to improve or fluctuate on a week to week basis, EDIT.

run defense vs cincy

Average Gain per Rushing Play 3.7

We were totally outcoached by the ravens. This had nothing to do with cold weather.

Edited out entire post due to personal attacks that were completely uncalled for.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom