Saints Thoughts From Saints-Chargers Joint Practice, Carr Not Expected To Play on Sunday - 8/17 (1 Viewer)

AdamWest

Daydream Believer
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
Was able to go the Saints/Chargers joint practice today. Where we were sitting only got to see Saints D v Chargers O - Saints O v Chargers D was on the other side of the field (media credentialed side) so can't speak to the offense at all.

Just some tidbits:

- Felt like the Saints defense largely dominated the Chargers throughout the practice. K. Allen got his and made an amazing play but overall the D looked strong.
- Interior of Saints DL is VASTLY improved. Breese is an anchor in the run game
- Alontae got to start at CB2, the feel is that if he is going to win the CB2 role; this is the week to show it. He was stellar throughout the day except getting beat pretty badly in 1-on-1's but next rep came back and had insanely good coverage on rookie WR Q. Johnson for PBU
- Was at the porta-potty area with my friend getting ready to walk out, I come out and he said he talked to Derek Carr's dad who said he was not going to the game because Carr wasn't playing. We both looked it up on our phones and it was without question the parents of Carr.

More thoughts to follow on tonight's recording of the Saints Block Party Podcast - make sure you check us out at SaintsBlockParty.com! Most of the pics/videos I got are wayyyyy too big to be attached to a thread post so I'll link a couple of things I posted from Twitter

How did you get in? I’m off tomorrow, & if they’re practicing, I’d love to go.

Was able to go the Saints/Chargers joint practice today. Where we were sitting only got to see Saints D v Chargers O - Saints O v Chargers D was on the other side of the field (media credentialed side) so can't speak to the offense at all.

Just some tidbits:

- Felt like the Saints defense largely dominated the Chargers throughout the practice. K. Allen got his and made an amazing play but overall the D looked strong.
- Interior of Saints DL is VASTLY improved. Breese is an anchor in the run game
- Alontae got to start at CB2, the feel is that if he is going to win the CB2 role; this is the week to show it. He was stellar throughout the day except getting beat pretty badly in 1-on-1's but next rep came back and had insanely good coverage on rookie WR Q. Johnson for PBU
- Was at the porta-potty area with my friend getting ready to walk out, I come out and he said he talked to Derek Carr's dad who said he was not going to the game because Carr wasn't playing. We both looked it up on our phones and it was without question the parents of Carr.

More thoughts to follow on tonight's recording of the Saints Block Party Podcast - make sure you check us out at SaintsBlockParty.com! Most of the pics/videos I got are wayyyyy too big to be attached to a thread post so I'll link a couple of things I posted from Twitter

I expected Carr not to play. DA was coy when asked earlier in the week vs last week he was quick to say the offense/Carr would get a look.

Carr's interview also hinted that the work they get in practice is actually better than in games because the opposing defense will show different looks/blitzes vs more vanilla schemes in games. Finally, you saw the #1 and #2 QB get all the work and no looks for #3. Meaning Haener will get some good work this game after Winston goes out.

Hope you enjoyed. Cheers!

How did you get in? I’m off tomorrow, & if they’re practicing, I’d love to go.
Sadly, the joint practices are ONLY open to Chargers season ticket holders (which is ridiculous in itself). My good friend is a Chargers season ticket holder here in SoCal because he uses them as investment to sell more than anything because he's a Saints fan as well. Anything other than that, you legit won't be let in. First time they've done it like that and I've been to numerous Saints/Chargers joint practices in Costa Mesa.

I expected Carr not to play. DA was coy when asked earlier in the week vs last week he was quick to say the offense/Carr would get a look.

Carr's interview also hinted that the work they get in practice is actually better than in games because the opposing defense will show different looks/blitzes vs more vanilla schemes in games. Finally, you saw the #1 and #2 QB get all the work and no looks for #3. Meaning Haener will get some good work this game after Winston goes out.

Hope you enjoyed. Cheers!
IMO, the teams, their players n coaches, really like these practices! Not only do they get to go against a different opponent, but the 1s n 2s can get in lots more “quality reps” against the other team than they would in a preseason game.

It’s also more “controlled”. That alone helps to avoid injuries. It also allows teams n coaches to work more on “situational packages”, like red zone, goal line, n 2 minute drills.

Went more in-depth about my thought from yesterday's practice on the podcast we recorded last night. Did not attend the joint practice today but a lot of good nuggets from me regarding yesterday!

The joint practice was the game, I'm not concerned with them suiting up if they put the work in with the chargers in the "scrimmage".

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom