Time to fire up the defense..... (1 Viewer)

CajunSaint08

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
I was watching some youtube video's of the Dome Patrol...….man they were vicious and fast. Would showing the present defense video's of the Dome Patrol help or intimidate them? I know they got me fired up.

One of my favorite plays by Sam Mills came against the Phil Eagles. Sam Mills was so fast that when the QB dropped back to pass, Sam Mills stole the ball directly from his hand as he was starting to pass. Watch at the 2:52 mark. Awesome.....

I'm sure the Saints have their own way to get motivated, but.....oh the memories.

Geaux Saints!!!

If only Carl Smith had decided to do anything in life other than being an offensive coordinator.

CajunSaint - Thx much for the post and the vids. I forgot just how great those 4 LBs really were. They were totally dominant and brutally physical. They punished offenses. I was just kinda guessing that with the new offensive friendly NFL rules, the Dome Patrol would probably have had about 300 YPG in penalties. That was real defensive football at its best. I love those 4 guys!

One of the things I used to love about Jim Henderson was his ability to take some mainstream phrase and apply it to something he would use in his play-by-play descriptions. Back in the 1980s, the scientific community had put the subject of 'atomic particle accelerators' in the news, and these facilities were known as 'Super Colliders'. It didn't take Henderson long to attach the moniker to the Saints' own Vaughn Johnson after watching him make a few crushing hits and tackles. Not only did I get a big smile every time I'd hear Jim refer to Johnson as 'Super Collider', but I'd always think of Vaughn Johnson every time that subject was being talked about in the news!

If you were around during the Dome Patrol Era, then you understand just how fitting that name was! :9:

Last edited:
I was watching some youtube video's of the Dome Patrol...….man they were vicious and fast. Would showing the present defense video's of the Dome Patrol help or intimidate them? I know they got me fired up.

One of my favorite plays by Sam Mills came against the Phil Eagles. Sam Mills was so fast that when the QB dropped back to pass, Sam Mills stole the ball directly from his hand as he was starting to pass. Watch at the 2:52 mark. Awesome.....

I'm sure the Saints have their own way to get motivated, but.....oh the memories.

Geaux Saints!!!

So thankful I grew up watching that defense. So awe inspiring.

Even though the rules make it tough to achieve, the Dome Patrol is why I still to this day love defense more than offense.

Teams literally absolutely feared playing us. They knew they would get mauled. That linebacking group was incredible, and incredibly intimidating.

Just put Sheldon Rankins awesome manhandle push on the center and abuse the qb on loop. That fires me up. Is there a gif of that btw??

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom