To those who think we got "hosed" on the trade up or "mortgaged the future" (1 Viewer)

WxM

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
By the trade chart below, we got 255 points. Using the rule of thumb that a pick next year is worth a pick this year one round lower, next year's second is worth about 220 points. The 7th rounder this year is one point. So we come out ahead by 34 points, the equivalent of SF's pick 143 at the end of round 4 this year. And given the depth of the draft this year in particular, I would say the pick we just got is worth even more than it usually is. And, do you really think we will be picking at 11 next year? I don't. So what we gave up should be worth even less.

2017 NFL Draft Trade Value Chart

Yeah, I said it in the other thread. Usually these trades involve a team giving up a future 2nd for a late third.

For us to get an early third for a future second and change is a coup.

Forget charts. This kid was a great talent! Traded our a 2nd next year for a very early 3rd to get a player who people didn't expect to be there. When we get a edge rusher with our next pick this pick gets 100 times better

Kamara showed his skills by posting a 39.5-inch verticle leap and a 10-foot-11-inch broad jump. Both of those marks topped Christian McCaffrey, Dalvin Cook and Leonard Fournette.

Bucky Brooks @BuckyBrooks
He will walk out of Indy as the biggest winner in RB class. He crushed the interviews. High football IQ & great personality.
https://twitter.com/nfl/status/837723957327323136

I know what picks are worth on the chart, but what a pick this year buys vs a higher pick next year is a coach or GMs job for a year, at the cost of fans who will suffer deeply if the coach or GM robbing them blind on a gamble fails.

Just because something has a price does not mean it is smart to pay that price. By mortgaging the future fans are getting hosed, and you are just saying we paid market price for the hose.

I know what picks are worth on the chart, but what a pick this year buys vs a higher pick next year is a coach or GMs job for a year, at the cost of fans who will suffer deeply if the coach or GM robbing them blind on a gamble fails.

Just because something has a price does not mean it is smart to pay that price. By mortgaging the future fans are getting hosed, and you are just saying we paid market price for the hose.
No, we paid below market price. And I would argue, way below.

Not to worry. After a second 1,000 yard season, they'll trade Ingram for a 2nd round pick next offseason. The starting RB will be an UDFA from the Sun Belt.

We should be investing in the future so we will be rich in picks down the line like the smart teams do. Instead we Payton and Loomis are buying heels on the credit card and bragging that it was a sale. I don't care if the heels were on sale. We just bought a luxury, a role player, on the credit card of higher future picks. It is inexcusable. It is weak. It is the Atlanta Falcons way.

We paid a 2nd next year for a guy who had low-1st/high-2nd grades by many. Hardly a rip-off.

31 other teams did not think he was more than a 3rd round talent and we passed on him in both the low 1st and early 2nd round to take players that were not even at our positions of greatest need.

The thing all great satellite backs in recent NFL memory have in common is that they have been available in free agency at reasonable salaries at some point in their career. We mortgaged the future for a position that is easier to address in free agency than kicker or punter.

Bucky Brooks @BuckyBrooks
He will walk out of Indy as the biggest winner in RB class. He crushed the interviews. High football IQ & great personality.
https://twitter.com/nfl/status/837723957327323136

giphy.gif

31 other teams did not think he was more than a 3rd round talent and we passed on him in both the low 1st and early 2nd round to take players that were not even at our positions of greatest need.

The thing all great satellite backs in recent NFL memory have in common is that they have been available in free agency at reasonable salaries at some point in their career. We mortgaged the future for a position that is easier to address in free agency than kicker or punter.

Mortgaged the future?

We traded a future 2nd for a guy we had a 2nd round grade on and a guy some analysts had a late first grade on.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom