Tommy Stevens will have to remain on the roster (1 Viewer)

Already an SR legend, like Mike Hass and Andy Tanner :) I do hope Stevens sees more action than his predecessors in this legendary status, of course.
It's the ballad of Adrian Arrington all over again.

I remember people screaming at the top of their lungs that he absolutely could not be risked on the PS. And yet we did it, multiple times in fact, and no other team ever touched him.

Moral of the story: We think we know, we don't really know.

This is funny because one of us will have to sign him to our active roster. I bet he is happy.

If he doesn’t make the Saints’ active roster, can’t he choose to sign on any team’s practice squad that makes him an offer? If so, he may again choose to go with Carolina, even to be on their PS. My hope is that by that time he will be so impressed with the Saints, and see his opportunities here, that he will now want to stay with us.

Because of the situation with Carolina, Tommy Stevens can never be put on the practice squad. Carolina will sign him as soon as they do that. That means he will have to remain on the roster. He will need to be on special teams and be a 4th TE. Do we release one of our special team players to make room for him? Who could he replace?
I think Stevens is one of the special teams players. Unlike Taysom, Stevens was acquired with the understanding that he is not a QB to be developed. His role is exactly what Taysom is used for right now be it at NOLA or Carolina. I fully expect to see him and Taysom both out these covering kicks, punt return, out at WR, H-back, etc. He's going to be one of the 53, IMO.

I think it’s possible that we could see Stevens asked to fill a TE/FB hybrid role and of course special teams. Maybe Zach Line becomes expendable. Not saying it’s a great move, if they go that route, but the rosters are so limited and I don’t think Payton and Ireland would have gone so public about getting one over on Brady if there was a high likelihood of him being on Carolina’s roster week 1 after being cut.

Carolina will sign him to active roster the moment he hits practice squad.

Meaning he'll be taking a spot on their active roster that won't go to a more skilled player. I fail to see the problem.

For those who say if Stevens was a viable weapon he would have been drafted by Carolina, not true. Taysom wasn't drafted now he's one of the deadliest weapons in the NFL. Stevens is a great athlete who doesn't fit a particular mold but can still make a great difference.

The fact that Payton a brilliant NFL mind and Brady who was phenomenal at LSU were battling over him speaks volumes.

I bet he ends up on IR..

If not he will be converted into more of a FB/TE/WR role

Oh he has IR written all over him. He'll have a leg before the season starts. SP isn't going to let anyone take his toy.

Carolina would have to sign him to their active roster from our practice squad. If they really want to use a spot on someone who couldn't make our squad, have at it.
If it places them in the Lawrence/Fields/Lance(Qbs that fit Rhules history of qbs) range longterm they probably don't mind.

For those who say if Stevens was a viable weapon he would have been drafted by Carolina, not true. Taysom wasn't drafted now he's one of the deadliest weapons in the NFL. Stevens is a great athlete who doesn't fit a particular mold but can still make a great difference.

The fact that Payton a brilliant NFL mind and Brady who was phenomenal at LSU were battling over him speaks volumes.
Have to disagree. No one saw the Taysom on his draft day as the Taysom he is now.

In this case, if either coach saw Stevens as being that important, they absolutely would have drafted him, and earlier in our case. They didn't, he isn't, this is just another developmental player that may or may not turn into something down the road. I hope he does, but if he doesn't it's just football.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom