Training camp preview: Will Saints surprise? (1 Viewer)

Dan in Lafayette

Staff member
Administrator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Training camp preview: Will Saints surprise?

By Conor Orr -- NFL.com

Training camp is quickly approaching, which means it's time to preview the most exciting part of the summer. Over the next month, Around The NFL's Conor Orr will break down all 32 teams and give us something to look for in late July.

Training camp report date: Rookies July 20, veterans July 27.

Training camp location: The Greenbrier, White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia.

Offseason in a nutshell:
Though the Saints were a disaster a year ago and all signs pointed to the team playing without either Sean Payton or Drew Brees in 2016, something happened this offseason to put the rocking boat at ease. While change is sometimes healthy, Payton brought up a good point about an old message being new in a league with so much turnover. There is a sense around the team that after years of expensive free agency miscues and salary cap difficulties, there is actually a bedrock of affordable and potentially explosive talent on the roster. A 2016 second-round pick (Michael Thomas) and a 2014 first-round pick (Brandin Cooks) should be starting at wide receiver. A 2013 third-round pick (Terron Armstead) has developed into one of the five best offensive tackles in the league. First-round pick Sheldon Rankins has been advertised as Aaron Donald Part 2, and lines up next to Cameron Jordan and in front of 2015 first-round pick Stephone Anthony. Obum Gwacham is a name to watch as a situational pass rusher this year, and, on the back end of their defense, Delvin Breaux is a bright young cornerback with a tremendously high upside.

MORE -- NFL.com

Good read. And I do think we'll see a more power based offense with plenty of multiple TE sets.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I don't think 11 wins is that unbelievable. If the defense can improve just some from last place, it will make a huge difference. Give Brees 1 or 2 extra possessions and watch the magic!

We can't start off 0-4, 1-3. Can't bury ourselves early. Need to start off strong and finish strong, too. Last few seasons we just buried ourselves in losses and didn't have the D to fight our way out of it. This is a tough schedule. We got to play our best ball every game.

If the defense can stay healthy, I think we could indeed make a dramatic improvement. I think Keenan Lewis' and Delvin Breaux's health specifically will be key. Having two very good corners will in turn allow us to bring more pressure.

The offensive talent is loaded. There is some concern about the OL, but I still feel they're more than adequate.

We win 7 games in years in which we have historically bad defenses. Assuming our offense is its typical top-3 self...If this D is even just below average, we win 9-10 games. If they're average, we win 11-12. If they're actually pretty good, we win 12-13 and dominate.

Biggest key is getting through this camp relatively injury free. Losing Kikaha already blows. Do that, and I'm really excited for the intrasquad scrimmage and preseason. In '06, '09, and '11, you just knew our team was different. Our starters were clicking.

But more than anything, like was early said. If our team starts the season out slow...pretty much shut it down. Weakest start I think we can handle is 2-2.

Lord I will be thrilled if we can improve by 3 measles games.

I don't think 11 wins is that unbelievable. If the defense can improve just some from last place, it will make a huge difference. Give Brees 1 or 2 extra possessions and watch the magic!
I recall a season where we went from being 7-9 to 13-3 and winning the Super Bowl. So I think 11-5 is well within the realm of possibility.

Nice read, Dan. :9:

Resolve the issues on the O-line as well as the defense, and the Saints are a playoff team... without a doubt.

If we're not settled on the O-line, then the health and safety of #9 is in serious jeopardy.

I'm hoping that players like Landon Turner, Jack Allen and others are pleasant surprises, and emerge out of camp to adequately fill the missing pieces.

New Orleans Saints | Roster

:gosaints:

We can't start off 0-4, 1-3. Can't bury ourselves early. Need to start off strong and finish strong, too. Last few seasons we just buried ourselves in losses and didn't have the D to fight our way out of it. This is a tough schedule. We got to play our best ball every game.

S.o.s varies every year, but the way the 2016 schedule is set up, i see us winning 4 out of the first 5 then at least 3 of the last 5. If we go .500 in the middle 6, that puts at at least 10 wins.

Take out all the help from Browner and we have improvement!

I could not agree more. At first when the Saints signed Browner I was excited about having a big physical corner with the enforcer mentality reputation that came with Browner but as the season went on and game after game after game it just kept getting worse.

I honestly believe that Browners awful play and the mountain of penalties cost the Saints at least 3 games which even with that horrid defense the Saints could have been a 10 win team easily!!

Do we or will we have a training camp thread? Just found out I'm going.

It's imperative that the Saints get off to a better start than they have the last few seasons. An improved defense would be beneficial but I also feel a more efficient running game is just as vital because it gives you more control of the game!!! Especially when the pass blocking for some reason takes a few weeks to get better to where Brees feels somewhat comfortable in the pocket. It's time for Ingram and co. to carry more of the load while allowing Brees to instill confidence with his precision passing. WHO DAT!!!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom