Training camp preview: Will Saints surprise? (1 Viewer)

I could not agree more. At first when the Saints signed Browner I was excited about having a big physical corner with the enforcer mentality reputation that came with Browner but as the season went on and game after game after game it just kept getting worse.

I honestly believe that Browners awful play and the mountain of penalties cost the Saints at least 3 games which even with that horrid defense the Saints could have been a 10 win team easily!!

Agree 100%!!! I can add nothing to this quote.....

I think that if Laurinaitis and Lewis are healthy, we can be around the 20th in total defense which would probably be enough to win 10-11 games. I have a very good feeling about Laurinaitis but hey guys, I honestly don't have the football knowledge that most of you have!

Some outsiders may view an emphasis on a power running game to be something new or at least out-of-the-norm for the Saints. But those of us who've been watching over the years know that the Saints usually do their best offensive work when the running game is cranked up.

Often times when we see a game where the Saints have dropped 40-plus points on an opponent, we've become conditioned to assume "that was a Drew game".......which is usually partially true.......but check the rushing stats in those games as well.

Case in point...November 2013 vs. Dallas.......49-17. Yep, Drew did throw the ball 41 times and had just under 400 yards passing....to go along with 4 TD passes. But Mark Ingram had 145 Yards rushing in that same game.

In fact, if you ever look at some of those games in the second half of the 2011 season.....around the time that the Saints just started absolutely clobbering teams.....usually as a team we had like 140 or more rushing yards.

Looking at the offense, the weaknesses, etc etc........ We aren't suddenly going to be a power running team with the questions we have at guard.

The strengths at tackles Armstead/Peat for best case scenario suggest our strength is on the edges so outside zone runs, pitches, sweeps, swing passes, quick screens to WR's and Spread sets are going to be our offense this year along with the usual Play Action and runs up the middle etc etc.

We aren't about to transform into a power run team this year......don't have the pieces.

Way-too-early season prediction: We predicted a monumental divisional shakeup this offseason already (the Panthers missing the playoffs, perhaps?) and that means another team in the division needs to step up. This Saints' defensive line has the potential to be beastly under the right circumstances, and we're buying in. There are teams that surprise us every year, and wouldn't 11 wins for the Saints be a surprise?

:spaz2:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom