Tre’Quan Smith visited Broncos (1 Viewer)

He missed out on PM because PM didn't want to come to New Orleans. I remember in an interview, he told the Chiefs that if they don't move up, Saints would draft him.

“As the process went on, I got a feeling I was going up in the draft,” Mahomes said. “I had a couple of teams that have been out there now that said they were going to draft me and that’s true. It’s not like these coaches were making that up. I talked to them during the draft process and they were like ‘Hey, if you’re there we’re going to take you.’ And so, I kind of gave a little inside info to the Chiefs. ‘Hey if you all let me go anywhere, I didn’t know about the Saints spot, below 12 or below I’m going to get drafted by someone else.’ “So I gave the Chiefs a little bit of info on that because I wanted to be here.”
Simply not true about him not wanting to be here nor did he imply that. While that very well could be the case, he never even hinted to that being the case.

Broncos: *get absolutely destroyed in a historic fashion*

Sean Payton: What we need is the WR that's better at blocking than he is receiving from my old team

So, you may want to re-read what you quoted. Does not say or indicate anything about not wanting to come to New Orleans.
We were literally number 11 that year. KC moved up to #10. Ended up with Lattimore so it still worked out for us in the end. He said he wasn't making it past 12.

Tre’Quan is the spark that the Broncos need right now.

We were literally number 11 that year. KC moved up to #10. Ended up with Lattimore so it still worked out for us in the end. He said he wasn't making it past 12.

Again, not once did he say he did not want to go to the Saints.

"Making it past 12."

To remind you who held the #10 and #12 picks...

#10: The Bills, rumors were they were considering a QB.
#11: The Saints, who everyone expected to draft defensively after Brees had a 5208 passing yard, 37 touchdown season, but was let down by the defense.
#12: The Texans, who were 100% absolutely positively going to take a QB.

You misread or misunderstood what Mahomes said.

TQS needs to be a Jet. They will throw flowers at him there, like they do Anzalone in Detroit.

It would be fascinating to see if you ran a world simulation of what happens if Payton is able to draft Mahomes for the Saints. No Lattimore, so our defense probably is still very shaky in the back. Does Brees still hold on til 2020? Does Mahomes get fed up waiting for that long?
Payton/Saints may have not re-signed Brees to the 2 year deal in 2018 if Mahomes was drafted here. I’m not sure Payton would wait 3 seasons to let Mahomes take over while he thought of him as the greatest prospect ever. Brees’ contract was expiring at the perfect time to roll with Mahomes in 2018 and start the SB run he’s been on since then.

CB would’ve been interesting without drafting Lattimore. Gilmore and Bouye were FAs in 2017. We could’ve signed either to a short term deal, and/or trade up from 32 to mid 20s to draft Tre’Davious White. Shaquil Griffin was available in the 3rd round that year. Jaire Alexander was a late top 20 pick in 2018. Maybe he could’ve been an option to trade up for, instead of Davenport, in the 2018 draft.

There would’ve been great players to draft or sign at CB. But who knows if we would’ve picked the right one to anchor the secondary and lead the defense for a decade, like Lattimore’s outlook, if the Saints drafted Mahomes in ‘17.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom