UFC 125: Resolution (01/01 Saturday on PPV) ((DREAM 12/31)) - LAST PICK 'EM EVENT FOR 2010 STANDINGS (1 Viewer)

stunpals

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
UFC 125: Resolution (01/01 Saturday on PPV)
Las Vegas

It’s been a fun year. Thanks for all that played along. Peet, would you like to take over the thread starting now? If not, can someone else? I anticipate a lot of players in our contest next year for me to keep track of. Anyway, on to the show…

prelim
Antonio McKee v Jacob Volkmann
McKee is making his UFC debut at the age of 40 (I think). He’s a grappling ace who dominated the MFC for some time. He was labeled as boring, but has finished a few guys now. Interesting to see how his UFC stint goes.

Daniel Roberts v Greg Soto
Daniel left Tulsa to train with Diaz brothers, Shields and Melendez. His bjj is high level as is his wrestling. His standup is improving too, but rumor has it his chin is suspect. Shouldn’t matter against Soto.

Mike Brown v Diego Nunes
Remember when Brown was the toast of the town in the WEC? He dethroned Urijah Faber then soundly defeated him a 2nd time before being annihilated by Jose Aldo. Unless Diego does yes cartwheels, I’m going with Brown.

Phil Baroni v Brad Tavares
Poor NYBA. I can honestly say I would not pick Baroni over any UFC fighter at this point in time. This includes bantam weights.

Josh Grispi v Dustin Poirier
Grispi went from title shot against Aldo in the co-main event to undercard against someone I’ve never heard of.

Marcus Davis v Jeremy Stephens
I just think Davis has taken one too many shots to the head. Stephens should catch a tired Davis in the 3rd.

Main Card
Takanori Gomi v Clay Guida
Gomi hits hard and Guida has a hard head. Immovable force meeting an immovable object? Hope Gomi’s takedown defense is up to par or it could be a long night of leg humping, weak hammer fists and curly locks making Guida look more exciting than he really is.

Nate Diaz v Dong Hyun Kim
He ain’t no ***** homie! Should be a good tussle. Dong is strong but Nate has a decisive advantage in striking and bjj.

Thiago Silva v Brandon Vera
Imagine is a scientist (probably Canadian) could combine these two into an elite title contender. Would we call him Thiago Vera or Brandon Silva. I’m leaning toward Thiago Vera.

Chris Leben v Brain Stann
I am not a fan of boo’ing former US Marines, but Stann has me reconsidering my stand. Come on Leben!

Lightweight Championship
Champ Frankie Edgar v Gray Maynard
Mayard said in an interview he hopes to control all five rounds. So in other words, he doesn’t plan to finish the fight. Maynard is 10-0 with only two finishes by TKO and no submissions. Yawn!

Edgar is 13-1 with the one loss coming to Maynard in 2008. He has 2 TKOS, 3 Subs to go along with his 8 decisions. His speed overwhelmed BJ Penn, twice. He also has wins over Sean Sherk, Hermes Franca, Jim Miller and Mark Bocek. Impressive.

Maynard defeated Ken-flo to earn his title shot and also has wins over Nate Diaz (controversial split decision), Jim Miller, Rick Clementi and Frankie Edgar.

Here is hoping Edgar wins as he’s slightly more exciting.

DREAM “Dynamite!! 2010”
A quick rundown of the surprisingly interesting card. It airs live on HDNet at 3AM CST on 12/31/2011 ** not part of the pick’em contest.

• Satoshi Ishii vs. Jerome Le Banner
• Sergei Kharitonov vs. Tatsuya Mizuno
• Alistair Overeem vs. Todd Duffee*
• Bob Sapp vs. Shinichi Suzukawa^
• Champ Bibiano Fernandes vs. Hiroyuki Takaya (for featherweight title)
• Champ Marius Zaromskis vs. Kazushi Sakuraba (for welterweight title)
• Shinya Aoki vs. Yuichiro Nagashim+
• Tatsuya Kawajiri vs. Josh Thomson
• Kazuyuki Miyata vs. Caol Uno
• Akiyo "Wicky" Nishiura vs. Tetsuya Yamato@
• Kyotaro Fujimoto vs. Gegard Mousasi@
• Hideo Tokoro vs. Kazuhisa Watanabe
• Jason High vs. Hayato Sakurai
• Hiroshi Izumi vs. Ikuhisa "Minowaman" Minowa
• Katsuaki Furuki vs. Andy Ologun
* - Not officially announced
^ - IGF special rules
+ - MMA/K-1 mixed-rules bout
@ - K-1 rules bout

Main Card
Guida has a head of granite. He also has much better wrestling and will control the fight. Unanimous 30-27 decision.

Diaz by sub in the first.

Silva by rape/spit.

After his two fights earlier this year, I can't root against Leben.

Lightweight Championship
Maynard due to size and great great wrestling. 25 minute nap though. I've never been this underwhelmed for a championship fight.

Not a problem. I will start up the threads again so it is easier to keep tabs on the standings. I think maybe this is why I did so bad this season :hihi:

I'm looking for any excuse possible :)

Alright, time to focus. The pressure's on. :hihi:

I'm putting all my focus on the main card here...gotta beat Ed. :hihi: To be honest, I wanted to pick an odd-number of matches different from Ed to ensure a winner, but I just see two going the other way and so hopefully we don't split those. :9:

Main Card
Gomi's had one issue when he's had problems...cardio. Cardio has never been a problem for Guida. So the question is can Gomi punish Guida first. I'm banking on no, and I'm banking on Clay getting him down and wearing him out and taking a late submission win.

If it was Nick, I'd take the Diaz brother in this case...but Kim's a strong guy and I think he will control Nate enough to take the decision win.

Same as Ed.

Same as Ed.

Lightweight Championship
Same as Ed.

everyone is invited to participate but if you miss a couple of events, we'll just stop keeping track of you in the official contest.

I know it seems harsh but if you miss two events, you probably cannot win anyway so it just focuses on the guys (maybe gals???) who keep up.

Also, when this event is complete, I'll post my Year in Review Recap in this thread!

Only one of these two will be participating in UFC 125

Attachments

• chuck-liddell1.jpg
    chuck-liddell1.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 1
Cain Velazquez out 6-8 months with torn rotator cuff.

Dos Santos is quickly becoming one of my favorite fighters.

"MMAWeekly.com was able to speak with Dos Santos’ manager, Ed Soares, on Wednesday as well. According to him, the top contender in the heavyweight division will not be waiting for Velasquez to return before fighting again.

“He is not going to wait six months,” Soares said in a text message to MMAWeekly.com.

Dos Santos last fought in August when he defeated Roy Nelson by unanimous decision at UFC 117 in Oakland. The Brazilian would end up sitting out almost a year between fights if he waits for Velasquez to return, so it appears for now he will be looking for another fight in 2011 before he challenges the champion."

that's what I'm talking about

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom