Underhill: Jake Haener has been working one on one with Jon Gruden for the past year (1 Viewer)

I so badly want to see Haener succeed, cuz that's good for my Saints. And I love hearing this....working 1 on 1 with a QB guru can only help his chances...certainly can't hurt him any. And if I'm being honest, I see Haener as potentially a better fit for Kubiak's quick-release aerial attack than Carr.

But when trying to read the tea leaves, I get mixed messages coming in. They let JW2 walk, which indicated maybe they were confident in Haener. But then PC was let go and Kubiak was hired....implementing his own system. So whatever confidence they had in Haener MAY NOT translate to confidence in running Kubiak's offense. (although I think a lot of Haener's strengths are similar to Purdy's, FWIW...) Then they brought in Nathan Peterman and Kellen Mond for the QB room. Both with prior ties to and familiarity with Kubiak's system. Competition is a good thing right? The fire that melts butter also forges steel. But it's Peterman and Mond...is it truly competition? Or are they simply camp arms who understand Kubiak's system? Is this an indication of wavering confidence in Haener? Has Kubiak seen enough of Haener to think he needs a different optin? Or are Paterman and Mond simply an attempt to save reps on Carr and Haener's arms?

If only we had some indication from an insider...
I think it's fair to suppose that Kubiak will evaluate all of his QBs with his own criteria for what he is looking for, this means that players will be evaluated with a new perspective that kind of gives them a clean slate. But it is also clear that Haener has an uphill climb since he is a holdover from the previous regime, and the team has brought in players with experience with the Kubiak/Janocko system.

That being said, I see Peterman's role in the team as a kind of teacher communicator that can assist the coaching staff, and Mond as proper competition for Haener for the backup QB job. Wouldn't be surprised that they carry 3 QBs this year and Taysom.

I think it's fair to suppose that Kubiak will evaluate all of his QBs with his own criteria for what he is looking for, this means that players will be evaluated with a new perspective that kind of gives them a clean slate. But it is also clear that Haener has an uphill climb since he is a holdover from the previous regime, and the team has brought in players with experience with the Kubiak/Janocko system.

That being said, I see Peterman's role in the team as a kind of teacher communicator that can assist the coaching staff, and Mond as proper competition for Haener for the backup QB job. Wouldn't be surprised that they carry 3 QBs this year and Taysom.
Exactly my thoughts. I’ve posted that same belief in a couple of threads. I believe Petermen will end up as a young coach similar to the role DJ Williams — Doug Williams’ son — played for then Saints in recent years. Great mind and knowledge, which is why they brought him in. He can be useful for things like last week’s workouts and rookie minicamp. But Mond is much more likely to be a true QB3.

Last edited:
So, you're sayin' jake's not smart??
Maybe you missed my long winded 😂 posts/replies earlier.

I’ve provided them for your review.
I completely agree, like I said he’s talented. What I neglected to include is that he’s got good accuracy and a good arm (good talent). He seems to be very intelligent as well, but is it football intelligence? I’d like to see him continue to develop and see just how football intelligent he can become.

Look at Brees (no I’m not saying he’s Drew. Nobody is or will be) Drew’s a first ballot hall of fame QB, not so much because of his great physical talent, but because of his football intelligence (what’s between his ears). Haener has “similar” physical tools to Drew but, just like any quarterback with “good” physical tools, his ceiling is based on his football intelligence and how he uses it to process the information given to him on the field.

I guess that’s a very long winded way of saying he’s smart and talented I’d like to see how he puts it together on the field. 😂😂😂

Again, I completely agree. He has good physical tools and intelligence. I’m very interested to see him put it together on the field. If he can put it together on a NFL field, the floor for him is a very capable backup, his ceiling is a very good starter IMO. I’m looking forward to seeing him progress this offseason.
He has good not great physical tools and is intelligent. My questions are, does that intelligence include strong “football intelligence” and if it does, how will it translate to the field in the NFL. I’m actually excited to see him on the field as his “football intelligence” increases and he translates it to the field.

I love Gruden, but I never thought of him as a QB guru.
Gruden has a reputation for turning backups and average QBs into very serviceable-above average starters during his tenures.

Rich Gannon (AP-3x PBer), Brad Johnson (PBer-SB), Griese (20 tds/12 ints in 04), Simms (NFCS title ‘05), Gradkowski (udfa rookie starter), then Derek Carr became a 4k yard passer and 67+ comp % QB during all 4 years of Gruden’s 2nd Raiders stint. Carr threw for 4800 in Gruden’s last year.

Haener will be a solid QB2 if Gruden’s work with his past QBs are an indication. I think he’s also in good hands with Kubiak and Janocko.

Maybe you missed my long winded 😂 posts/replies earlier.

I’ve provided them for your review.

He has good not great physical tools and is intelligent. My questions are, does that intelligence include strong “football intelligence” and if it does, how will it translate to the field in the NFL. I’m actually excited to see him on the field as his “football intelligence” increases and he translates it to the field.

So the answer is yes after attempting to manipulate your words more

So the answer is yes after attempting to manipulate your words more
listen, I didn’t “manipulate” anything! I clarified my original statement. I never said he wasn’t smart as I pointed out in my statements used for clarification.

I’m here to talk Saints football, not play word games and “gotcha”.

listen, I didn’t “manipulate” anything! I clarified my original statement. I never said he wasn’t smart as I pointed out in my statements used for clarification.

I’m here to talk Saints football, not play word games and “gotcha”.

gotcha

His college tape seems to differ. Now this is the NFL but given the chance I think he will succeed

I will be honest and state that I had never heard of Jake Haener until after we drafted him, so I never really watched his actual college tape, only his highlights, which of course he would look like an all-time great on. All I can go by is how is he looked in the preseason action we saw him in, and to my eyes, I see a guy who knows where he wants the ball to go but his placement needs improvement.

I do see he was #2 in completion percentage among qualifiers in his senior season at Fresno though, so that's very encouraging. Hopefully he just needs time to adjust to the speed of the game.

I will be honest and state that I had never heard of Jake Haener until after we drafted him, so I never really watched his actual college tape, only his highlights, which of course he would look like an all-time great on. All I can go by is how is he looked in the preseason action we saw him in, and to my eyes, I see a guy who knows where he wants the ball to go but his placement needs improvement.

I do see he was #2 in completion percentage among qualifiers in his senior season at Fresno though, so that's very encouraging. Hopefully he just needs time to adjust to the speed of the game.
Placement is very important for sure, and very hard to get right until you put in a lot of work with the WRs. Most of them were 3rd team, I will reserve judgment until he plays with better WRs and OL.

Why can't he become a Drew Brees 2.0, Brees wasn't all of that when he came out, kid the kid a shot can he do any worse than Z Wilson, J Fields , T Lawerence , or any other first rounder
J Manzel.....keep the hit coming

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom