We need to move on from Andrus Peat (1 Viewer)

saintmike23

BRING THE WOOD!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I know he had a decent year but it was also a contract year and he all of a sudden could stay on the field. Peat has a real scheme going with the injuries. I’m not saying it’s not legit but he know the system very well. We just have to bring in at least 3 new linemen.

If we bring Peat back we have 2 linemen who are often injured in Peat and Ramczyk. One third year lineman in Penning who doesn’t belong on an NFL field until proven otherwise.

That leaves 6 roster spots make a viable line instead of 7. And please don’t say Doug Marrone because these issues are beyond him. Moving on from Peat gives us one more spot to absorb the absence of Ram and the ineptitude of Penning.

We have 2 viable starters on the line. Ruiz and McCoy. I just don’t want to risk Peat coming back and doing his usual pulled pectoral shenanigans again.

That's all fine but who are you getting to start at LT? I'm all for upgrading from Peat but you need to identify a guy that will be better than him that is available at a reasonable price. It does not look like we will be in a position to get a LT in the draft that is a definite day one starter. Then again, I don't think any draft pick is a definite day one starter. And since the draft is after free agency, you would be taking a huge risk that you will be able to draft a starting LT if you don't sign Peat or someone better.

So, to me, what you have to do is sign Peat, unless you can identify a better player for similar money and then go into the draft with the flexibility to draft a LT if the right one falls to you and not be forced to reach for a LT because of need.

I think that which players stick will depend on the offense that the new coordinator brings. They might need a different blocking scheme. The new scheme might favor Penning but maybe not Ruiz. We'll see.

I need video evidence that Penning is good at zone blocking like people are saying.

Peat has a real scheme going with the injuries.
I’m not saying it’s not legit but he know the system very well.

So, which is it?

A deliberate scheme to fake injury, for the sole purpose of frustrating some fans?

Or a 'legit' series of injuries that happen in the course of playing an incredibly violent game, that coincidentally frustrates some fans?

Pick a lane.

Adding OL, meanwhile, is not a point of debate. Everyone is saying it.

Peat won't be expensive. He doesn't have many if any suitors around the league.

I suspect that is true, but I think his play at LT this year raised his price and could have a few teams at least take a look. In the end, I think we need the new OC and new OL coach look at Peat and the rest of the OL. Then they can decide who fits the scheme and who can or can't be replaced with someone better. But, I will say that I think they should be able to sign Peat at a reasonable price given that he showed that at this point in his career he can play sollid at LT.

Peat won't be expensive. He doesn't have many if any suitors around the league.
Depends in what you mean by expensive. A veteran free agent that is expected to go into training camp as your starting left tackle probably is not taking less than 5 million a year, right? What if it's 10 million (average starter money)? What is the max you would pay him?

While not a world beater or elite Peat is still a starter at both LG and LT in this League. He may not start for every team at those positions but he would for 5-8 teams which makes him valuable. Plus if we do happen to draft a day one starter he instantly becomes one of the best backups in the league. With the state of our OL we can not afford to let him walk unless he demands top 10-15 LT money (which I doubt).

Depends in what you mean by expensive. A veteran free agent that is expected to go into training camp as your starting left tackle probably is not taking less than 5 million a year, right? What if it's 10 million (average starter money)? What is the max you would pay him?
Peat only getting $10 million a year IF decided to bid against ourselves just like we did when we gave a $50 million contract when he had no interest as a FA.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom