What do you think of Greer this week? (1 Viewer)

bergeaux

Building my own team!
Reaction score
Last week someone gave it up for Greer after the tipped pass that Will Smith intercepted.

http://www.saintsreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124546

What is the feeling after the NY Jets game? Did he do a good job? I don't have the game saved to re-watch and figure it out, but did he cover his man well? Was he just on Cotchery? (5 rec for 71 yrds) or was he just on one side.

Thoughts?

He made several great plays including tipping away a couple of passes. His importance to the D is as big as Sharper's IMHO.

Greer was exceptional...he was glued to his man the whole game it seemed and poked a few balls out of the receivers' hands. He did this especially well on third downs. He was our best CB on the field. Sharper will get all the props and Gay had some good plays and an INT, but Greer was right where he needed to be on almost every play.

He made several great plays including tipping away a couple of passes. His importance to the D is as big as Sharper's IMHO.

I totally agree with above statement. Greer is so technically sound that he's hard to beat. He has some great coverage skills and is underrated as a physical corner considering his size. If you notice, alot of Sanchez's sacks were because his first read was Cotchery and since Greer was all over him, it forced Sanchez to look elsewhere and make decisions.

Cotchery finished with 70+ yds but he got a big chunk of it late in the 4th qtr. If you take away those two catches when Greer was playing soft coverage he finished with about 40 yds receiving.

I remember him making at least two really nice pass defenses (breakups) one was textbook and the other was on a deep pass in which, he had to deflect it twice to prevent the TD.

Buffalo has to be kicking theirselves for letting Greer get away especially after losing Mckelvin.

I'm sure they are. I remember how bummed those Bills fans were when we signed him. I went to their message board and not one person said something negative about him on and off the field.

I remember him making at least two really nice pass defenses (breakups) one was textbook and the other was on a deep pass in which, he had to deflect it twice to prevent the TD.
The double tip was especially nice. After he deflected the pass the first time it was still about to fall into the receiver's arms for the TD. He quickly reached out with his other hand and knocked it away. He deflected the ball twice in mid jump before hitting the ground. Just a wonderfully athletic play.

I was actually surprised the Jets threw to Greer's side so much. Prior teams have been avoiding Greer's side and going after Porter (which hasn't worked due to Porter's play). I guess Ryan/Snachez decided to test Greer.....he passed with flying colors.

Oh and in case you didn't notice Randall Gay had an exceptional game at nickel.

He basically shut cotchery down until the very end. Cotchery had some garbage time catches for big chunks where he lined up in the slot and got lost in the middle of the field. There was one nice play when Greer had great coverage and Cotchery caught a backdoor fade type catch and just got his feet in.

Greer shut him down on third down and most of the game when it mattered. He's been a beast but I was actually more impressed with Porter. Greer is a veteran and we know what he's capable of but Porter was locking down his side of the field.

There were plenty of plays where we were in cover 1 or cover 0 with no safety help and they covered long enough to get sacks or force bad throws.

Gay also played some free safety after lining up at nickel then dropping back while Lbs and DEs covered the slot guy and the safeties blitzed.

We have a great pair of corners and it showed this Sunday. I drove 9 hours to see that game mainly to see our defense in person. There were some "what?? No safety help?!?" moments and then someone shoots out to that position. I could see why Sanchez seemed lost at times they did some very creative confusing things and it was all because Williams trusted Greer and Porter to not get beat.

Greer continues to thrive out there on the island. I wonder if Porter is able to pick up a few pointers by watching/practicing with Greer since their physical attributes are so similar?

I'm glad that other people saw the same thing that I thought I saw when I was just watching the game and not specifically paying attention to Greer!

Great news. :)

Greer is in that 2nd-tier of CBs where he's not a shutdown CB like Nmandi/Revis, but he's just a hair below him. Greer is playing like a top 5 CB IMO.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom