What is DA's message to the team? (4 Viewers)

I've heard many vet players talk about how there's really no such thing as a trap game in the pros. College and high school for sure, but not the pros. All NFL teams are "good" and every player in the league is at least "good" and it doesn't take much to flip a score. The difference between winning and losing, is mental and physical prep during the week. Said all players have down weeks where they can't get all the way up for a game during the weak for whatever reason. The greats are the ones that happens to the least. When things go badly for a whole team during a game, you can almost bet there's injuries and/or it wasn't a sharp week at the training facility.

I wanna say it was Cam Jordan I'm paraphrasing, but I've heard other say the same.

“Keep doing what you’re doing”
Yep. Being a head coach thats trying to build/rebuild something has a plan/vision, and its important that they stick to it. When they start throwing stuff at the wall, it's near the end. In spite of what some folks believe, DA knows what he wants to achieve and has been working toward it for the past 2+ seasons. Consistency in his approach and the way he addresses the team is important.

If you were Dennis Allen, what would be your message be to the team heading into week 3? You're coming off one of the most dominant starts to a season ever that nobody anticipated. Facing another potential playoff team coming off a loss where mistakes and poor execution cost them the game. You'd expect renewed focus and intensity from the Eagles going into this game as they have more to lose and the secret is out about the Saints. The team is riding high, everything is going right. They're hosting the game. They're favored to win. The media has jumped on the wagon. The Falcons beat the Eagles, surely the Saints can! Knowing the NFL, all of this adds up to a potential trap game.

In the Payton era, he would have baskets of cheese dropped off in the locker room to remind his players to not eat the cheese. Don't give into the hype.

Its only week 3 but this is definitely an early test for this team. Dennis Allen is a very different coach to Sean Payton and has worked to build this team in his vision. What do you think his message is to the team to keep them focused this week?
It’s definitely got all the makings of a loss and a game that I think is a complete coin flip for either team.

If we win it, it shows that we are clearly focused in the take it one game at a time mindset .

If we lose it, it’s not the biggest deal ever, but it could turn into that down the road.

My message would simply be “screw every media person that wants to jump on the wagon, this is one of the teams that they thought we couldn’t beat. Don’t take their bait. The Eagles are coming into your house. Defend your house at all cost”

Go undefeated at home and split your games on the road. That there likely gets you the number 1 seed, definitely in the running for it. Every game is a big game.

If you were Dennis Allen, what would be your message be to the team heading into week 3? You're coming off one of the most dominant starts to a season ever that nobody anticipated. Facing another potential playoff team coming off a loss where mistakes and poor execution cost them the game. You'd expect renewed focus and intensity from the Eagles going into this game as they have more to lose and the secret is out about the Saints. The team is riding high, everything is going right. They're hosting the game. They're favored to win. The media has jumped on the wagon. The Falcons beat the Eagles, surely the Saints can! Knowing the NFL, all of this adds up to a potential trap game.

In the Payton era, he would have baskets of cheese dropped off in the locker room to remind his players to not eat the cheese. Don't give into the hype.

Its only week 3 but this is definitely an early test for this team. Dennis Allen is a very different coach to Sean Payton and has worked to build this team in his vision. What do you think his message is to the team to keep them focused this week?
Don't eat the cheese. Simple as that.

Yep. Being a head coach thats trying to build/rebuild something has a plan/vision, and its important that they stick to it. When they start throwing stuff at the wall, it's near the end. In spite of what some folks believe, DA knows what he wants to achieve and has been working toward it for the past 2+ seasons. Consistency in his approach and the way he addresses the team is important.
i like what DA said, that to avoid eating the cheese, etc etc. You dont focus on that, you focus on the plan and if each individual player is doing their individual part of that plan. With them already knowing, that if they follow the plan, then the results will take care of themselves either way.

IMO,You can apply the same thought process in anything you do. Forget the end result, instead live where your feet are and do your job.

i like what DA said, that to avoid eating the cheese, etc etc. You dont focus on that, you focus on the plan and if each individual player is doing their individual part of that plan. With them already knowing, that if they follow the plan, then the results will take care of themselves either way.

IMO,You can apply the same thought process in anything you do. Forget the end result, instead live where your feet are and do your job.
Exactly. If you think you are doing the right things that will eventually get you to where you want to be, keep it up. Thats how DA operates, thats how he wanted his team to operate, so thats how he communicated. It's a process that doesn't always provide immediate results. It's a process that may take a year or two to fall in place. Makes total sense. Made sense then, makes sense now. He had to go with what he had at those moments. The last thing you want to do is become desperate. While some suggest the team was falling apart, I tend to think he was holding it together. Having the defense in his corner and believing in the process helped too.

Shouldn't be hard. Disrespect is a good motivator. Most people would be taking the Eagles. Eagles have 10x the media exposure.

Its a matter of coming up with a good game plan and seeing that the guys continue to be sharp in practice.

When coaching things I often find myself saying, 'You'll play like you practice. Cut corners or do things at half speed and expect to play sloppy.' Every step on the court or field has to be taken with purpose and a certain degree of intensity or it will be hard to find it in a game.

This is why DA got so much slack last year. Whatever PC was doing with the offense reflected on him. The team played terrible last year. They were sloppy - eg they drew pentalites on every series and missed blocks nearly every play - in all phases. It just stank of a program that didn't demand intensity and attention to detail in practice. Most of that was on the offense, but one side seemed to bleed into the other as we started to see DB's miss assignments and no one check a running QB.

They look like they've done a complete 180 and appear to be one of the better executing teams on the field. This is dispite having a complicated amount of motion going on.

Last edited:
Exactly. If you think you are doing the right things that will eventually get you to where you want to be, keep it up. Thats how DA operates, thats how he wanted his team to operate, so thats how he communicated. It's a process that doesn't always provide immediate results. It's a process that may take a year or two to fall in place. Makes total sense. Made sense then, makes sense now. He had to go with what he had at those moments. The last thing you want to do is become desperate. While some suggest the team was falling apart, I tend to think he was holding it together. Having the defense in his corner and believing in the process helped too.
Absolutely. Some people including myself at first, wanted a more Rex Ryan / Gruden type coach that gave an impression that they would handle any issues. And be a funny charismatic face of the Saints for the National media. But knowing that DA has built and maintained a dominant D for years, it’s apparent that the aforementioned type isn’t required, and may end up more as a distraction. Grudens issues, Sean Paytons myriad of issues, etc. The last person anyone would suspect as being a distraction is Da. And that’s a great thing. Klint Kubiak is also the same way, they’re ying and yang, both with taskmaster personalities. Guys that are so focussed on the plan being accomplished, and everything else is just noise. We want this type as the Saints HC. Plus he’s been here 16 years, or so, so he’s naturally Nawlins by now! Lol.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom