What is the definition of a mass shooting? (2 Viewers)

Krodwhodat

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I’ve read a few different ones and they all differ. I was wondering how to classify this?

4 or more is what i've heard
and usually with a 'random' element (ie not targeting specific people)

eta - did not see where they reported it as a mass shooting
seems a pretty clear drive-by

very odd part of town for a drive-by - i would think they shooting car was exiting from I10

I’ve read a few different ones and they all differ. I was wondering how to classify this?

There is no set in stone definition of a "mass shooting." Would you like this one to be?

wwl is reporting it as a sextuple shooting - hard to be that for accurate nomenclature

eta, from WWL
um...
Gunfire rang out Friday night on Canal Blvd. in New Orleans.

"The NOPD is investigating a homicide at the intersection of City Park Avenue and Canal Boulevard," Public Information Officer Aaron Looney confirmed.

Witnesses described a series of gunshots around 10:30pm.

Looney said, "There are a total of six victims in this incident - one deceased victim, four victims wounded by gunfire who have been transported via EMS and one victim wounded by gunfire being treated at the scene."

No other details were immediately available.

4 or more is what i've heard
and usually with a 'random' element (ie not targeting specific people)

eta - did not see where they reported it as a mass shooting
seems a pretty clear drive-by

very odd part of town for a drive-by - i would think they shooting car was exiting from I10
I agree, when we were building the VA Hospital I was there ever morning and night at that intersection. Not far from the Bulldog...?

There is no set in stone definition of a "mass shooting." Would you like this one to be?
No my point was we hear crazy numbers like there were over 300 mass shootings in x amount of time and I wonder if these were counted. Like there were 34 people shot over Labor Day weekend in Chicago. Just wondering how we get to these large mass shootings.

No my point was we hear crazy numbers like there were over 300 mass shootings in x amount of time and I wonder if these were counted. Like there were 34 people shot over Labor Day weekend in Chicago. Just wondering how we get to these large mass shootings.

In that case, wherever you are getting that number I'm sure they provide their own definition or source, or you can contact whoever published it to give you their source.

However, I'm sure going into a church and shooting everyone in it simply because they were "black", or opening fire on any large gathering simply because they are there, deserves it's own category.

In that case, wherever you are getting that number I'm sure they provide their own definition or source, or you can contact whoever published it to give you their source.

However, I'm sure going into a church and shooting everyone in it simply because they were "black", or opening fire on any large gathering simply because they are there, deserves it's own category.
So yes the above is classified as a mass shooting

i define it as an indiscrimitive shooting where more than one person is wounded. yet now that i think about that statement, workplace and family shootings could still be classified as such when unintended people are hurt.

Good question---i obviously dont have the answer

Some definitions require a certain amount of people to be shot in a single event, while others require a certain amount of death during a single event. I have included the FBI's definition of active shooter since they are related. I don't believe the FBI has a mass shooting definition.

A "mass shooting" is an incident involving multiple victims of firearm violence. There is no widely accepted definition of the term "mass shooting" but the FBI defines a "mass murder" as "four or more murdered during an event with no "cooling-off period" between the murders."

Different media outlets and research groups use different definitions for the term "mass shooting" For example , Crime violence research group "Gun Violence Archive" defines a "mass shooting" as " FOUR or more shot (injured or killed) in a single event [incident], at the same general time and location, not including the shooter,” differentiating between mass shooting and mass murder and not counting shooters as victims.

The United StatesCongressional Research Service acknowledges that there is not a broadly accepted definition and defines a “public mass shooting”[1] as an event where someone selects four or more people and kills them in an indiscriminate manner, echoing the FBI’s definition of the term "mass murder." But adding the indiscriminate factor.[2]

Basically, the typical definition is somewhat useless when talking about different kinds of events. A typical (sadly) gang drive by is usually a "mass shooting"

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom