What is the definition of a mass shooting? (1 Viewer)

I am playing with the data from 2000-2018 that's on this site. I think these are only ones reported to the FBI. Not all. Or it is only "active shooters", not all mass shootings. Not sure how they split that hair.

They have 281 incidents listed, but only 271 where someone was shot (injured or killed).

If I use 10 casualties (injured and killed combined), there would be 48 incidents.

If I use 20 casualties, there are 13 incidents.

Those 13 incidents (which are all from 2007 to 2018) had 1036 casualties, 269 being murders. Every shooter in this group was a male. Handguns were the most commonly used weapon, followed by a rifle. 3 incidents using a rifle, also had handguns. Six out of the top 8 body counts, used a rifle (or multiple rifles). Almost half were in a school.

1569379181848.png

Attachments

• 1569379045135.png
    1569379045135.png
    109 KB · Views: 1
I’ve read a few different ones and they all differ. I was wondering how to classify this?

I say choose the one with the criteria you like best then apply that criteria to this incident. Or come up with your own definition.

Wikipedia is as good a source as any
A "mass shooting" is an incident involving multiple victims of firearm violence. There is no widely accepted definition of the term "mass shooting" but the FBI defines a "mass murder" as "four or more murdered during an event with no "cooling-off period" between the murders."

Different media outlets and research groups use different definitions for the term "mass shooting" For example , Crime violence research group "Gun Violence Archive" defines a "mass shooting" as " FOUR or more shot (injured or killed) in a single event [incident], at the same general time and location, not including the shooter,” differentiating between mass shooting and mass murder and not counting shooters as victims.

No one wants to talk about the data I posted?

No one wants to talk about the data I posted?

I think the definition of mass shooting is complex. But for statistical purposes, someone has to come up with criteria to define so they can do their studies. Personally, it’s more complex than just setting a number of hurt or killed, you have to look at each incident individually and judge. But like I said, that doesn’t work well in gathering statistical data.

The media will call it a mass shooting only if an AR-15/AK-47 type weapon is used in killing more than 1 person. The shooting of 6-10 people with a handgun in a major city does not count.

I spent some time on it. I thought @Krodwhodat had a specific question he wanted to nail down.
From my experience, an active shooter is a current/on going event. When responding, we proceed direct to threat and terminate the threat. A mass shooting is an event has concluded and may or may not have injuries and or casualties. Mass murder would be 4 or more people dead at one overall event. Hope that helps.

The United StatesCongressional Research Service acknowledges that there is not a broadly accepted definition and defines a “public mass shooting”[1] as an event where someone selects four or more people and kills them in an indiscriminate manner, echoing the FBI’s definition of the term "mass murder." But adding the indiscriminate factor.[2

I think this is the only useful definition, one that helps us determine what type of animal (classification term) we are dealing with. If you are just crunching numbers somewhere or trying to see what kind of murders you face most, it makes no sense to have revenge or gang related right along side psychopath (the other kind) murders. And they are two very different kinds of crimes. One you are usually trying to solve a crime and the other you usually have the culprit and the only thing you can do is learn and try to prevent future ones.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom