What is your favorite part of history to read/learn about? (2 Viewers)

No, but thanks again for the different steer. There was a time that I started with the Shaara Civil War books and really liked those so I moved on to the Turtledove books. After a few of those though I lost the taste for the alternate history stuff.

I like the sound of trying the "historically accurate" Flashman stuff. I've always had to be very picky about what I chose to read because of limited time but I am retiring at the end of the year so I'll be ready to take on all comers -- thanks again!
No problem. I read the William Forstchen sci-fi series about a civil war brigade teleported to an alternate reality. It was well-written and fascinating, but after 6 books it kind of ran out of steam.

I absolutely love reading about WW2 and watching documentaries. I find my self more interested in the war in Europe than in the pacific. I even preferred band of brothers over pacific. I also enjoy reading about it from other countries perspectives.

Same here. For me, i believe it's the difference between the pacific (island hopping campaign) vs liberating Europe and it's cities just makes it more interesting for me. Even though most of my relatives who actually served in WWII served in the Pacific theater. I did however thoroughly enjoy the documentary on the "Enterprise" air craft carrier that served through out WWII in the pacific.

Can't say I'm much on reading about any of this. But I thoroughly enjoy a good documentary or movie portraying the WW2 era. Also find myself interested in our Revolutionary period.

Civil war memoirs are my favorites.
One of most interesting I've read on civil war is "Lost Triumph: Lee's Real Plan at Gettysburg--and Why It Failed." Well conceived theory on disastrous third day's battle.

That sounds interesting. Who's the author? I think I've read just about everything James McPherson has put out with the exception of this new book he's done.

Civil War. I loved studying the battles. I bought a bunch of battle board games, and the ones from the Civil War were my favorite (Gettysburg, Chancellorsville, and Antietam).

I love studying all history, but the Civil War battles were the best.

I've actually started a battle site tour. So far I've done Shiloh, Corinth, Fort Hudson, and Vicksburg. The three you've mentioned are the ones I'm most looking forward to.

Same here. For me, i believe it's the difference between the pacific (island hopping campaign) vs liberating Europe and it's cities just makes it more interesting for me. Even though most of my relatives who actually served in WWII served in the Pacific theater. I did however thoroughly enjoy the documentary on the "Enterprise" air craft carrier that served through out WWII in the pacific.

Can't say I'm much on reading about any of this. But I thoroughly enjoy a good documentary or movie portraying the WW2 era. Also find myself interested in our Revolutionary period.

When I was younger I was more into the Pacific - I think I loved the naval aviation story. But in much more recent time, I have really been into Europe and the Battle of Britain in particular. I think it's pretty incredible how it all unfolded: a force of roughly 800 interceptors fought off an attacking force of 3,000 due to a brilliant strategy with a new technology that wasn't fully appreciated by the enemy. Then the whole thing changes after a navigation error brings civilians into the horror of war but saves the defensive force - and the British Isles effectively defeat any prospect of a Nazi invasion.

I have been so into it at times that I would read some of the day-by-day diaries that are online. They were teetering on the knife's edge for a while there. Must have been terrifying to live in England at the time.

That sounds interesting. Who's the author? I think I've read just about everything James McPherson has put out with the exception of this new book he's done.

I've actually started a battle site tour. So far I've done Shiloh, Corinth, Fort Hudson, and Vicksburg. The three you've mentioned are the ones I'm most looking forward to.

Tom Carhart

I like all history. For a long time I was fascinated with Ancient Greek history. I have also been very interested in Civil War history. I have visited several battlefields. I also enjoy the antebellum period & have visited most of the antebellum houses with tours in both Louisiana & Mississippi. Lately, my husband & I have been watching a lot of tv & Netflix documentaries on Nazi Germany. I have mentioned before that I believe in reincarnation & I am quite sure my last life was as a victim of the Holocaust. The documentaries give me a vivid sense of déjà vu & are sometimes quite painful for me to watch. The loss of life in WWII is almost incomprehensible.

It's kind of interesting to me how several of you are into the 60's. I lived through them. It was definitely an exciting time to be coming of age. I was always very interested in current events, even as a child & teenager. I was very aware of everything happening. I graduated high school in 1969 in the middle of Viet Nam. I attended a funeral of a good friend killed in battle the week of my graduation. Looking back, it was quite a decade to grow up in.

Jan

Went to Antietam battlefield when I was young, there was the most overwhelming sadness that hung in the air. One of Most eerie places I've ever been.

Went to Antietam battlefield when I was young, there was the most overwhelming sadness that hung in the air. One of Most eerie places I've ever been.

Visited Vicksburg over the Mardi Gras holiday. The size of the memorial park itself was mad crazy. Reading some of the plaques was just overwhelming considering how long the siege lasted before Vicksburg fell.

I enjoy reading just about any history, but lately I've been most occupied reading about the Spanish Civil War. From the political infighting to inherent drama of village-against-village it really was incredibly sad. Of particular interest to me were the International Brigades; they easily foreshadow modern day international combatants in the Middle East.

I wonder if I would have had the courage of my convictions had I lived through that time, and then have to wonder if I actually have the courage of my convictions right now. That should be the ultimate goal of all history, in my mind.

I've been to Antietam and Gettysburg. Quite a few times while just walking I'd get a chill for no reason, as the weather was warm on both occasions. Many spirits in unrest at both places. They're not maleficent at all, just still troubled.

When I was younger I was more into the Pacific - I think I loved the naval aviation story. But in much more recent time, I have really been into Europe and the Battle of Britain in particular. I think it's pretty incredible how it all unfolded: a force of roughly 800 interceptors fought off an attacking force of 3,000 due to a brilliant strategy with a new technology that wasn't fully appreciated by the enemy. Then the whole thing changes after a navigation error brings civilians into the horror of war but saves the defensive force - and the British Isles effectively defeat any prospect of a Nazi invasion.

I have been so into it at times that I would read some of the day-by-day diaries that are online. They were teetering on the knife's edge for a while there. Must have been terrifying to live in England at the time.

One of the reasons the Nazis could not invade Britain is that they never developed a landing craft. Nothing even like the Higgins boat much less a LST, so they were reliant on capturing intact an English port city. The English were well aware of this and had wired all dock facilities for demolition if invasion became imminent.

Following the Battle of Britain the Nazis never again held air superiority, so their tactic of invasion by paratroops as in Greece was out of the question.

The American Civil War, World Wars I and II. I have studied the civil war since I was a child, and I grew up with many World War II veterans and a few World War I veterans. I am very versed on the civil war and WWII, still learning about WWI.

I have been to most civil war battlefields and am a member of the New Orleans Civil War Roundtable.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom