Where our Defense improved the most (1 Viewer)

David Robbins

Ole Miss Rocks!
Reaction score
This defense has become great. Top 10 ranking. Getting Turnovers, Sacks, stopping the run. Where it's really improved is against the pass. Why? Has anyone even considered this question? I know I have.

Think back to week one. We were not the defense we are now, then. Here is the reason why. Dennis Allen was forced to make a change. Drew went down with injury. Dennis is a very aggressive Coordinator, and loves the blitz. He could do this when he had Drew, because he knew that if he gave up a TD, Drew could get it back.

Then, Drew goes down, and we could no longer score with anyone in high scoring contests. So what does he do? He relies more on the front 7 to play as a unit for pressure and stopping the run, and gave more help to the Secondary to allow them to really cover and shut down opposing QB's going for the big play. He still blitzed, but more in a timely manner, and not just to be aggressive. And, the change has been mind boggling.

The only area we have a problem on defense yet is in the prevent mode of defense. I actually lengthen out that name to what it actually is, and that is trying to prevent your team from winning. :loopy::loopy::loopy:Still, this is why I believe our defense has become as great as they are, and it is all atrributed to DA making that change.

I don't think it had anything to do with Drew. It's just with Drew out, the D got highlighted more. Game one was typical first game of season performance. Since then the D has been really good. The times they have given up a lot of points and yards have been in prevent.

Also, we got Onymata and Rankins back into the line. It's the D line taking a step forward that is the difference this year IMO.

The big improvement overall I see this year is in 3rd down defense.

The prevent hasn't prevented us from winning this year as we won the games where we deployed it (CHI, SEA, TB). The goal was clearly to make other teams burn clock while slowly moving down the field as opposed to getting big plays like they did vs. HOU in the season opener, CLE last year, MIN. 2017, etc. In that regard, it was a success. SEA only made it a 1-score game on the final play of the game (meaningless for anything but stats), TB made it a 1-score game with like 10 secs left and we beat CHI by 11 points (and it would've been more if our special teams hadn't had an inexcusable meltdown).

This defense has become great. Top 10 ranking. Getting Turnovers, Sacks, stopping the run. Where it's really improved is against the pass. Why? Has anyone even considered this question? I know I have.

Think back to week one. We were not the defense we are now, then. Here is the reason why. Dennis Allen was forced to make a change. Drew went down with injury. Dennis is a very aggressive Coordinator, and loves the blitz. He could do this when he had Drew, because he knew that if he gave up a TD, Drew could get it back.

Then, Drew goes down, and we could no longer score with anyone in high scoring contests. So what does he do? He relies more on the front 7 to play as a unit for pressure and stopping the run, and gave more help to the Secondary to allow them to really cover and shut down opposing QB's going for the big play. He still blitzed, but more in a timely manner, and not just to be aggressive. And, the change has been mind boggling.

The only area we have a problem on defense yet is in the prevent mode of defense. I actually lengthen out that name to what it actually is, and that is trying to prevent your team from winning. :loopy::loopy::loopy:Still, this is why I believe our defense has become as great as they are, and it is all atrributed to DA making that change.

I think (based on the eye test only) that the difference this year is the ability to get consistent and effective pressure on the QB from just the front four. This allows the entire secondary to actually cover everyone, and the LBs to drop into coverage or plug holes, without using an extra man or two pass rushing. (Of course, that's not the only thing.)

I mostly credit the strong and deep interior line. They force the QB off his spot, and that causes enough mayhem without blitzing. Also, our DE's and LB's are penetrating and blowing up screens. Yet, through it all, our line is maintaining gap discipline and stopping the run. I love to watch this group work.

I mostly credit the strong and deep interior line. They force the QB off his spot, and that causes enough mayhem without blitzing. Also, our DE's and LB's are penetrating and blowing up screens. Yet, through it all, our line is maintaining gap discipline and stopping the run. I love to watch this group work.
All this is true, but it also helps that DA is not blitzing like he used to. He now picks his spots to blitz.

Biggest change D - Line. Getting pressure to the QB.
I disagree here. I think our D-line was already playing lights out. A lot of people talk about this though. If anything, I think the D-line took a step back (slightly) when we lost Hendrickson. I just look at how DA toned down the blitzing, and I don't see us giving up the big play. We now play a smothering defense, and time the blitzes for when they are appropriate. This helps to confuse their O-line, because they don't get used to all the blitzes. They have to try to figure out when they are coming. I love that change.

The biggest change from last season, to me, is the improved Safety & Secondary play. Von Bell, Marcus Williams, CGJ, Eli Apple...they've all stepped up (I realize CGJ is a rookie)

As far as this season goes, I consider the first two games an anomaly. The first game we're playing with some rust against a top flight offense. We ALWAYS struggle early in the year. The second game (and this was proven in film study), we attempted to copy the Patriots from the Super Bowl by playing mostly Zone...which are NOT built for. Now, maybe there was a more elaborate plan that we couldn't execute because of Brees going down on the other side of the ball...But bottom line is we made a bad decision to not play to our strengths in Game 2.

Since then? I'm pretty sure we're top 3 defense for weeks 3 through 9, right? As long as our Secondary continues to show up, our defensive line can get those pressures without have to blitz all the time.

WhoDat?!?

The biggest change from last season, to me, is the improved Safety & Secondary play. Von Bell, Marcus Williams, CGJ, Eli Apple...they've all stepped up (I realize CGJ is a rookie)

As far as this season goes, I consider the first two games an anomaly. The first game we're playing with some rust against a top flight offense. We ALWAYS struggle early in the year. The second game (and this was proven in film study), we attempted to copy the Patriots from the Super Bowl by playing mostly Zone...which are NOT built for. Now, maybe there was a more elaborate plan that we couldn't execute because of Brees going down on the other side of the ball...But bottom line is we made a bad decision to not play to our strengths in Game 2.

Since then? I'm pretty sure we're top 3 defense for weeks 3 through 9, right? As long as our Secondary continues to show up, our defensive line can get those pressures without have to blitz all the time.

WhoDat?!?

This!

I dunno. Our DB play has gelled somewhat, but our interior line is creating mayhem. We're not letting QB's step up in the pocket, so they have to throw from a spot they didn't practice very much.

Could be a different side of the same coin.

One could make a case for our kicking game. Starting field position is better with Harris back there.

I dunno. Our DB play has gelled somewhat, but our interior line is creating mayhem. We're not letting QB's step up in the pocket, so they have to throw from a spot they didn't practice very much.

Could be a different side of the same coin.

One could make a case for our kicking game. Starting field position is better with Harris back there.

I certainly wouldn't argue against Edwards, Onyemata and Rankins (amongs others) making plays on the interior. You're right. Could be different side of same coin....I'll take it!

DAs defenses have stumbled out of the gate every single year only to turn it around with strong showings. So I don’t think you can use game one. And I really don’t think the injury changed anything we do but it may have lit a fire under their butts to go show just how well they can do it. They had a chance to put their own skins on the wall and they pounced on it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom