Saints Which ancillary weapon benefits most from the revamped WRs? (1 Viewer)

Michael Thomas, Chris Olave, and Jarvis Landry have gained some attention lately as a “problematic” group for defenses… but who stands to get a chance at really breaking out?

Callaway, Taysom Hill, Harty, and even TQS are about to get largely ignored in the early part of next season… you can even add Trautman to that mix.

So… who, of those “other guys” has the best chance of making a name for themselves and really putting this team over the top if everything works out?
M Thomas - I don't see MT as the catalyst this season, he is going to have his hands full just getting back to where he was 2 yrs ago. I really think he made a business decision to play one more yr for us, and is mentally already gone. He will put in good work, but won't be a game changer. He will benefit most, because CO, and JL really take the load off his shoulders.

Olave - Will fit in seamlessly, because he is already very good at what we will ask him to do for us. If you are fast and a good route runner, you will thrive in our offense w/ Pete.

J Landry - He is such a known commodity. I think he will get his targets and do a great job, but in this offense it will be hard to put up gaudy stats.

Harty - He will benefit the least from the revamped WR core. He was pressed in to service last season, because Jamies exposed Harty as a darn good WR, and we had little in the way of a WR core. That isn't the case any longer. Harty will loose targets to Olave and JL. Short of a run on WRs, he will not get the necessary targets to really break out. I see him more in the KR and use him over the top.

Calloway - He will be the first to come in w/ the loss of the 3 starters, but short of that. He will do good work, but may not get the necessary targets to break out.

TQS - Look good early, get hurt just when he looks like he is going to turn the corner. Rinse and repeat.

Trautman - He just falls back with the pack, he has a lot to prove. But, could also be the game day starter. I just don't know.

JJ- Like Trautman, he has a lot to prove, but he is out of Sean's dog house.

Taysom Hill - I really can't see him having much impact as a TE. Perhaps, if he gets in early and can cut on that surgically repaired foot.

The real beneficiary will be the QB and the O line. No doubt!!!!

Harty.
He should stay in Landry's hip pocket all throughout camp. If he continues to develop the nuances of route running, I could see a scenario where he winds up taking a big portion of Landry's expected snaps in the slot. He's electric when the ball is in his hands, and he catches the ball well enough.
If/when Kamara gets suspended, I'd like to see Harty on more motion sweeps/end arounds to help put more pressure on the 2nd level of run defenses, and make things a little easier for the backup RBs. It seemed like we didn't use that element of Harty's game as often last year. Sprinkle a little bit Taysom running the counter with a head of steam off the fake and we could still see some big runs without Kamara.

I’m gonna go with Calloway and Trautman. I can see Calloway getting in the dirty work with other teams best DB’s focused on our other WR’s and AK. And Trautman if he can keep focused and catch the ball will be open in the shallow zones due to the main 3.

Trautman should do much better with other weapons on the field. And it's scary to think about what Harty might be able to do if defenses are focused elsewhere. Dude is a game breaker.

Harty.
He should stay in Landry's hip pocket all throughout camp. If he continues to develop the nuances of route running, I could see a scenario where he winds up taking a big portion of Landry's expected snaps in the slot. He's electric when the ball is in his hands, and he catches the ball well enough.
If/when Kamara gets suspended, I'd like to see Harty on more motion sweeps/end arounds to help put more pressure on the 2nd level of run defenses, and make things a little easier for the backup RBs. It seemed like we didn't use that element of Harty's game as often last year. Sprinkle a little bit Taysom running the counter with a head of steam off the fake and we could still see some big runs without Kamara.

I love Harty but running him on those jet sweeps will put him on IR faster than whippity snap (or something).....

I think both Harty and Calloway will get chances in the offense....

Taysom. Opens up the underside of the zone way more than it was last year. He is going to be extra dangerous

I’m interested to see what Taysom as a full time TE looks like. The attention shift should allow him to get up the seam, hopefully he can make some big plays.

Touchdown Taysom! Those DBs tied up with MT, Juice and Olave. Best LB tied up on AK. That leaves scraps to cover Taysom and he is going to eat or cook, whatever the current term is.

Harty...because everyone will be so focused on limiting MT/Olave/Landry that Harty's explosiveness will not be able to get the defensive attention it needs to slow him down.

I see him being a "Chuck it up there, dawg" type of breakout. Also, If you put him and Olave on opposite ends...that'll attract safety help where MT and Landry can make a killing underneath. This offense is going to be scary good.

I love Harty but running him on those jet sweeps will put him on IR faster than whippity snap (or something).....

I think both Harty and Calloway will get chances in the offense....
I don’t think you’ll see him on those jet sweeps much this season.

I look for DA to be more aggressive with deep throws. So he’ll need both Harty n Olave, n their speed, as his top deep threats!

As for Winston, I’d like to see him throw about 26-30 passes a game. I’d like to see him go deep about 4-5 times a game, again, mostly to Deonte n CO. But don’t b surprised if Jameis looks to somebody else every now n then for deep shot either!

The Tight Ends will benefit most, because they will look better than they really are with coverage focused elsewhere.

If Hill is used creatively then he could do a lot of damage, from runs, deep routes, and an occasional pass.

If they force the Trautman Project on us then it would be unfortunate - he would look artificially good when we should be focused on getting a Tight End that helps the rest of the offense rather than the other way around.

Running Game hands down Kamara if he doesnt get suspended could kill it

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom