Who Is The Next Big Rock Stadium Band/Tour? (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
So, we were having this discussion and I wanted to bring it here. Who is the next big arena/stadium rock band? I personally do not see any up and coming bands with the power to fill a stadium. Right now, it’s Taylor Swift, Kenny Chesney or other country artists are filling the stadiums but I don’t see any new rock bands being able to fill an arena or a stadium.

All the rock arena bands are the old ones: Metallica, Foo Fighters, Rolling Stones, Motley Crue (as bad as it is), Billy Joel and so on but there are no big bands that I see. For a while, it was thought that Greta Van Fleet would fill that void but they have faded.

Now, this isn’t a “post my favorite metal band” thread but who do you see as the next “big thing”?

Last edited:
There won't be one.

Rock died sometime around 2000

This.

I'm not putting a resurrection outside of the realm of possibility (there's rock sounds going on right now in mainstream music, see e.g. Olivia Rodrigo, but no full fledged rock bands) - it could come back.

But to have a big stadium tour, you have to be a very high-demand act. Rock bands just aren't in high demand right now and been that way for a while. It's a style/taste trend, not for lack of young bands trying IMO.

I have a question and it’s genuine. I’ve not been to a concert in almost 20 years. Are they generally still a big deal?
I’m asking because my kids, 18 and 20, respectively, have never asked to go to a concert, and I know they listen to some of the more popular artists. My wife and I even offered to buy them tickets and they declined each time. Their friends are the same.
I guess I have two questions. Is there an abundance of good, new music out there?

I have a question and it’s genuine. I’ve not been to a concert in almost 20 years. Are they generally still a big deal?
I’m asking because my kids, 18 and 20, respectively, have never asked to go to a concert, and I know they listen to some of the more popular artists. My wife and I even offered to buy them tickets and they declined each time. Their friends are the same.
I guess I have two questions. Is there an abundance of good, new music out there?
New, great music is absolutely there to find, but one will have to do some work to find it.... so not abundant.

Also, so many shows are just people there with their phones, so you could hear the music from any show on the tour instead of going.

I really don't know... but last weekend my wife and our two mid-20s "boys" went see Tab Benoit at Gruene Hall (1880s Texas dance hall)... First time for them to see Tab... they loved the show, as did I. My boys are always up for a show if Dad and Mom are paying.. Heck, the older one drove ~3hrs to join us.

My students are still gaga for Taylor, but she’s the only concert I hear them talking about
Maybe one student was excited about an Olivia Rodriguez concert (maybe in Houston)
BUT
Lots of older kids still do festivals- I know a few of my kids were going to big festivals this summer

I’ve not been to a concert in almost 20 years.
I’m asking because my kids, 18 and 20, respectively, have never asked to go to a concert

Paul, bruh.

Take your kids to a concert! While there's still time!

My parents took me to my first two concerts, at age 9 and 11 - and my dad took me to my third concert, at 15. My kids are now 9 and 11 and I think it's time for me to start looking for shows to take them to - I think concerts are great but I think I need to show that to them.

I have been to three concerts in the last month.

Paul, bruh.

Take your kids to a concert! While there's still time!

My parents took me to my first two concerts, at age 9 and 11 - and my dad took me to my third concert, at 15. My kids are now 9 and 11 and I think it's time for me to start looking for shows to take them to - I think concerts are great but I think I need to show that to them.

I have been to three concerts in the last month.
We like to do local shows at least. Haven’t done any huge concerts with them. Winston Salem is always bringing in some older acts. They had The Fray do a free concert for the Gears and Guitars festival. A couple of years ago it was Cowboy Mouth, Gin Blossoms, and Better Than Ezra. My kids (9, 12, and 14) absolutely love these shows. We do small live music shows all the time. There is even a great Yacht Rock band that they love.

I did take my son (12 at the time) to see Metallica a couple of years ago. That's always going to be a great memory for us.

Gotta agree w/ @superchuck500

Even if an outdoor venue. Seeing/hearing a band live changes a lot for them.

My oldest went to first concert at 7. She has been now to at least 12. ( if counting Jazz Fest, probably closer to 20 ) Her last was Greta Van Fleet at JAzz fest ( her 3rd time seeing them live )

My youngest we took last year to Lana Del Rey in Brandon MS. It was a 7500 seat outdoor amphitheater and i was thinkin " this place?!!?"

IT was one of the best concerts ive been to in some time. It was very small ( compared to say a 20,000 seat arena ) and quite intimate. Almost as if she was playing to YOU.

Not sure what music they are into, but have to imagine they wouldnt turn down an opportunity to go if you got the tix.

We like to do local shows at least. Haven’t done any huge concerts with them. Winston Salem is always bringing in some older acts. They had The Fray do a free concert for the Gears and Guitars festival. A couple of years ago it was Cowboy Mouth, Gin Blossoms, and Better Than Ezra. My kids (9, 12, and 14) absolutely love these shows. We do small live music shows all the time. There is even a great Yacht Rock band that they love.

My oldest discovered Cowboy Mouth at Jazz Fest this year lol. They were on just before Greta.

Came home and was like " Hey Dad....ever heard of Cowboy Mouth?"

LOL. Yeah baby, been to several of their shows when they played bars not venues lol.

And to continue that thought....smaller venues are really intimate and give you a different experience than having to go 20x zoom in Superdome just to see the performer on stage.

My oldest discovered Cowboy Mouth at Jazz Fest this year lol. They were on just before Greta.

Came home and was like " Hey Dad....ever heard of Cowboy Mouth?"

LOL. Yeah baby, been to several of their shows when they played bars not venues lol.

And to continue that thought....smaller venues are really intimate and give you a different experience than having to go 20x zoom in Superdome just to see the performer on stage.
Cool story. Greta opened for the Metallica concert my son and I went to. I knew that they come from a town in Michigan where my friends from college moved to. Texted my friends to say Greta was on stage and my friends replied that they were at Greta's parents' house (the brothers) having supper.

Thank you all for the feedback and allow me to clarify. We’ve taken the kids to Jazz Fest many times as well as The French Quarter Festival and have watched/listened to live bands and they enjoyed it.
I was speaking more of a Taylor Swift concert in the Dome, for example. My wife tried to take my daughter and she said “sure” but she really had zero interest. I tried to take my son to a couple of shows when we still lived in Louisiana and he said he’d rather take the money to go see the Saints and Pels. Offered to buy tickets for them to go with their friends and they were like “yeah, that’s ok”.

I just remember being a teenager and it was like a dream come true when I was able to see Rob Base, Heavy D and the Boyz, etc.

Forgot my oldest said he wants to go see Childish Gambino
Didn’t get tickets right away bc we usually don’t know his rehearsal/performance schedule until a few months In advance
But we might be hitting that one

Take them to a concert before all the older acts are done. I have taken my 13 year old son to see the Stones twice, Dead and Company. Def Leppard, Styx etc. He is constantly after me for the next show.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom