Why not trade up? (1 Viewer)

birdog

SR is my life!
Reaction score
No one seriously asked this question as of yet, but there might be a way to trade up, and draft one of the 2 premiere DTs in this year's draft.

Right now we're sitting at #10 and on the value chart our position is worth 1300 points.....if we want to trade up, we could offer our next year's #1 draft pick, which at this point would be the 16th pick, worth 1000 points. So both of them would be worth 2300 points, which could put us up to the 3rd spot in this year's draft, if Oakland would be willing to trade with us.

At #3 we would possibly have a shot to either Dorsey, or Ellis, and both of them are a can't miss talent. If we could sign Briggs in FA, and then draft a MLB in the 2nd rd, we could solve the majority of our defensive problems, and as we saw in the SB, our pass rush would be one of the best in the league!

Yes, I'm mindful of our CB needs, but we could get some help in the FA by signing some middle level talent, and we could possibly be a formidable team next season!

So.....why not trade up???

We need too much. We could arguably get a starting LB/CB in round 1 and startng LB/CB round 2 and DT in round 3.

And then you end up with Jonathan Sullivan and set your franchise back 10 years? We're still paying for drafting that **** up.

Next year's draft appears to be much stronger than this one, so I wouldn't want to trade away any of next year's picks. If anything, I'd trade a couple picks this year for higher ones next year.

And then you end up with Jonathan Sullivan and set your franchise back 10 years? We're still paying for drafting that **** up.

You seriously think Dorsey or Ellis is the 2nd coming of J Sully??

I personally just hate the idea of giving away next year's #1 pick, regardless of who we're moving up to get. I'd also be against giving up #2 and/or #3 of this year's draft because it appears as though we could get legitimate defensive starters with those picks this year.

Plus, you just never know. Sometimes "can't miss" talent slips just enough come draft day. We can still land a good player with the tenth pick.

I think there will be a player of need anyways with pick 10, I hear ya, lets get it done and gett he sure thing. But sure things are non exsistent.

I would rather trade back and get some more picks

I , for one, am against trading our number 1 next year. Besides, who knows--if we screw this draft up like last year, it could even be higher than #10.(I sure hope not, but it's possible).

The only reason to move up is if you're 1 player away and there's a stud where you're trading up to. In our situation where we need several upgrades, I'd rather either trade down and pick someone or pick someone too early to make sure we get who we want. Trading up just costs too much.

You seriously think Dorsey or Ellis is the 2nd coming of J Sully??

There are no guarantees in the draft. I'd be a little nervous about trading up, even for Dorsey despite the fact that I think he will be great for years to come. The draft really can be a crapshoot at best sometimes.

If Ellis or Dorsey start to slide, it would not shock me to see the Saints make an offer to move up. It's amazing to even consider one of those players in B&G....

Their will not be DTs like Ellis and Dorsey in next years draft so maybe it is the right time to move up and grab one of them.

I am fine with trading next years 1st to get either Ellis or Dorsey.

:covri:

Personally, I'd be willing to package a first and third to move up a few slots to grab Dorsey or Ellis if they fall to 7 or 8

The reason I asked this question was the feeling that the Saints will make the playoffs next year. And if they even win in the 1st rd, they will probably end up drafting somewhere in the mid 20s.......which THIS YEAR would be underpaying the Raiders by around 10 slots.......(they trade with us for a 1st rounder at the 16th slot, but in reality they end up with a pick somewhere around 25-26th slot......for that reason alone a trade today might be worth to make.....

If it comes down to us giving up a 3rd or 4th round pick to move up a spot or two, then yeah do it if you can get Ellis. Anything more then that is too much. The 2nd and 3rd rounds are stocked with LB talent this year. We need to keep those picks. And I certainely wouldn't trade our 1st next year. Never do that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom