Why wasn't Reggie Bush on the Sidelines??? [Edit: Payton Says Bush Was At Game] (1 Viewer)

How do you know? Stuck with him in that they did not run him 5-8 times a game. They let him run 20 times even though he may start out with 10 yards on 6 carries, for instance. Bush came into the NFL with as much or more credentials than Sanders.

this is why I dont really get involved in the "Bush cant run in this league debate"....who am I kidding yes I do, its fun....but we talk about Payton's inability to have a balanced game plan (running and passing)....and we say he passes to much....well, doesnt that mean Reggie isnt getting alot of carries in the run game?....he has like 100 some odd attempts this year (sure he missed 4 games) and has 400+ rushing yards...and a 3.8ypc average...thats like a 4 game season for most backs who get consistent carries....I still dont think ANY back on this team aside from the 06 season, has really gotten a chance to run the ball consistently....and speaking of which, I find it hard to believe even the Bush Haters dont see the improvement in the mans game this year, he was leading the league in touchdowns and receptions up until the 1st Carolina game...then missed 4 games, then had a poor outing against the Bucs...then came back like the beast that he is against ATL...and he only got the ball 10 times that game...but had a 8.0ypc average (10 carries 80yrds) then started off good against Chi before the knee acted up on him....I dont have to be a fan of Bush to see that he has improved...and his injury didnt happen because he cant take the pounding, it was because (imho) he didnt have surgery on that same knee last year (which apparently he has had this year).....

I think Payton and Co. have played to Reggie's strenght in the run game, those toss and counters are great plays, its a staple of the run game, like the counter is in San Diego with L.T.....but hey, he if you wanna talk about his lack of production in the run game, then dont just look at the rush yards, look at the rush attempts...he is on par (if the season was 4 games) he barely got a chance, Payton passed the ball to much...nobody really got a chance.

this is why I dont really get involved in the "Bush cant run in this league debate"....who am I kidding yes I do, its fun....but we talk about Payton's inability to have a balanced game plan (running and passing)....and we say he passes to much....well, doesnt that mean Reggie isnt getting alot of carries in the run game?....he has like 100 some odd attempts this year (sure he missed 4 games) and has 400+ rushing yards...and a 3.8ypc average...thats like a 4 game season for most backs who get consistent carries....I still dont think ANY back on this team aside from the 06 season, has really gotten a chance to run the ball consistently....and speaking of which, I find it hard to believe even the Bush Haters dont see the improvement in the mans game this year, he was leading the league in touchdowns and receptions up until the 1st Carolina game...then missed 4 games, then had a poor outing against the Bucs...then came back like the beast that he is against ATL...and he only got the ball 10 times that game...but had a 8.0ypc average (10 carries 80yrds) then started off good against Chi before the knee acted up on him....I dont have to be a fan of Bush to see that he has improved...and his injury didnt happen because he cant take the pounding, it was because (imho) he didnt have surgery on that same knee last year (which apparently he has had this year).....

I think Payton and Co. have played to Reggie's strenght in the run game, those toss and counters are great plays, its a staple of the run game, like the counter is in San Diego with L.T.....but hey, he if you wanna talk about his lack of production in the run game, then dont just look at the rush yards, look at the rush attempts...he is on par (if the season was 4 games) he barely got a chance, Payton passed the ball to much...nobody really got a chance.

dude... there is only 5 backs in the game with 300 carries, and only two of those have 350, none have 400. you really believe bush could hold up to even a 350 carry season along with his other duties?

we can argue about this all day, but bush improved zero in the run game. zero. its even debatable that he is worse than ever this year, the one big run put him right back in the same territory he has been, other than that, he was absolutely horrible running the ball. he had double digit carries in his first 6 games, here is his avg...

he had over 60 yards 1 time in that stretch, 240 total rushing yards, and 3.0 ypc.... in 6 games.... that is improvement? that is ok by your standards? to me that is pitiful.

you talk about payton getting away from the run game, what do you expect when your back has 12 carries for 24 yards? once we put someone in capable of running the ball, payton ran the ball a little more and the running game was successful and efficient.

Last edited:
this year, he was leading the league in touchdowns and receptions up until the 1st Carolina game.
I don't mean to cherry-pick but frankly I'm getting sick of the receptions argument. Many of his receptions are "actually extended handoffs" (search it), so how come he gets credit for the catches if they're merely running plays that don't involve Brees stuffing the ball in his belly? Wouldn't he just lead the league in extended handoffs?

I don't mean to cherry-pick but frankly I'm getting sick of the receptions argument. Many of his receptions are "actually extended handoffs" (search it), so how come he gets credit for the catches if they're merely running plays that don't involve Brees stuffing the ball in his belly? Wouldn't he just lead the league in extended handoffs?

They have to be counted as receptions since his detractors simply don't buy the concept of "extended hand off" and still claim he's a liability in the run game. So the fact remains that he was leading the league in TDs and receptions at the time of his injury.

dude... there is only 5 backs in the game with 300 carries, and only two of those have 350, none have 400. you really believe bush could hold up to even a 350 carry season along with his other duties?

we can argue about this all day, but bush improved zero in the run game. zero. its even debatable that he is worse than ever this year, the one big run put him right back in the same territory he has been, other than that, he was absolutely horrible running the ball. he had double digit carries in his first 6 games, here is his avg...

he had over 60 yards 1 time in that stretch, 240 total rushing yards, and 3.0 ypc.... in 6 games.... that is improvement? that is ok by your standards? to me that is pitiful.

you talk about payton getting away from the run game, what do you expect when your back has 12 carries for 24 yards? once we put someone in capable of running the ball, payton ran the ball a little more and the running game was successful and efficient.

And here's diat150, showing again that he doesn't even come close to comprehending simple statistics.

He's good at what he does, not what people think he should be doing....and I dont mean leading the league in receptions like he is out there running routes on db's and stuff, just that he was producing this year, scoring points, making plays....more consistently in the beginning before the injury.

And here's diat150, showing again that he doesn't even come close to comprehending simple statistics.

if you think that bush is a viable(or improved) running threat then it is not me that has trouble comprehending statistics.

They have to be counted as receptions since his detractors simply don't buy the concept of "extended hand off" and still claim he's a liability in the run game. So the fact remains that he was leading the league in TDs and receptions at the time of his injury.
So you can have it both ways. Gotcha.

Nope but it has to be one or the other. His detractors don't want him to have credit for his receptions OR extended handoffs.
And the strapholders will tout that he leads the league in receptions in one thread, then in a thread discussing his rushing inadequacies, call his receptions "extended handoffs" that deserve consideration when evaluating him as a rusher.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom