Will Kubiak utilize Taysom Hill ? (1 Viewer)

Isn’t Taysom too light to be a true tight end; too tall to be a true fullback; too stiff and upright a runner to be a true running back; lacks enough wiggle to be “Debo” or a true wr …..
He is a strong runner and reasonably fast, hits hard and gives his all but gets hurt often. He has a lot of the qualities of all those positions but is really not a standout at any one of them. He is a good gadget player that will give his all but would probably not survive full-time duty at any of those other positions - just my observation, right or wrong, not an expert by any stretch.

Surprised nobody's said trick plays (like the CMC one). Stuff like that mixed with all the motion makes Taysom a legitimate threat on any trick play via running or passing.
Exactly. I'd like to see it not even be so much of a trick play but part of the offense. Make the pass a legitimate threat. Force defenses to factor it in. Let Taysom do his Wildcat power off tackle stuff but then throw in some short, high % passes in there as well. Just a simple crossing route where the TE gets lost in the shuffle at the LOS and then sneaks out. Any type of pass will work as long as they show that Taysom is a legitimate threat to throw on any given play. Simply force the defense to hesitate for a split second before they sell out against the run.

Another thing I'd like to see on Taysom packages is that when he's in the game at QB then Carr is on the sidelines. Don't waste that extra man. Put in someone who will block or possibly catch a pass. Use the numbers advantage that the Wildcat provides.

I really want to see Taysom more involved. It was one thing when we were taking the ball out of Drew Brees' hands. But taking it out of Carr's hands? I have no problem with that. None. When Taysom has the ball good things usually happens. Unless he turns the ball over. But I'm willing to live with that. I don't know if we're going to out talent (especially up front) teams but by god, we have the weapons to keep them confused.

I think giving Hill a few QB snaps per game should still be in the game plan, other than that Hill can continue to line up in a variety of positions as he did last year.

Isn’t Taysom too light to be a true tight end; too tall to be a true fullback; too stiff and upright a runner to be a true running back; lacks enough wiggle to be “Debo” or a true wr …..
He is a strong runner and reasonably fast, hits hard and gives his all but gets hurt often. He has a lot of the qualities of all those positions but is really not a standout at any one of them. He is a good gadget player that will give his all but would probably not survive full-time duty at any of those other positions - just my observation, right or wrong, not an expert by any stretch.
That’s what makes it tough to carve out a specific role for him.

Can’t be Deebo if you need to depend on him to run a variety of WR routes from out wide or in the slot, others would be better suited for those routes.

Can’t be Juszczyk or Kittle if you need him to be blocking playside from an FB or ITE alignment to clear running lanes, or to be blocking 1v1 in pass protection, he likely won't be the best player on the roster for either of those assignments. If he’s lined up as a FB it will also limit opportunities to get him the ball.

If you try to have him do the portions of those roles that he excels at from those positions, you need to have enough play designs with him doing things he doesn’t excel at to keep from tipping off the play based on his alignment, and determine whether you are coming out ahead on average.

If the Saints can get a little more athletic on the offensive line, I'd love to see Hill get involved in the screen game. Something like this:

I think Taysom and Shaheed will both combine to play Debo type role in this offense. I see Taysom doing more of the Debo scheme at or behind the line of scrimmage like runs, screens, jet Sweeps, etc; and Shaheed doing the downfield work.

Hopefully KK will keep the power runs with Taysom and like Saint_Drago said let him throw also.

If you try to have him do the portions of those roles that he excels at from those positions, you need to have enough play designs with him doing things he doesn’t excel at to keep from tipping off the play based on his alignment, and determine whether you are coming out ahead on average.

i was listening to Underhill and he said the magic of Kyle Shanahan is that everything looks similar and they break tendencies often. You can’t really have too many substitutions if that is your goal. There will be ways to use Taysom, there always are, but I think the main contributions need to come from our running backs and wide receivers, and hopefully an upgraded, every down type of tight end.

Last edited:
I'm sure Taysom could be used in a FB role but do you really want him out there banging his head into defenders over and over? He's no spring chicken and he's no stranger to injures.
He is a strong runner and reasonably fast, hits hard and gives his all but gets hurt often.

It's frequently said that Taysom is hurt often. I suspect that this is because the way he plays, we expect injuries.

But history does not back this up.

You want to guess how many games he's missed due to injury in 7 years?

FOUR. (Plus one for Covid). And not 1 in the past 2 seasons.

In 21, he was out 2 games due to concussion - OK his style may have contributed there. Missed another 2 due to plantar fasciitis - a non-contact injury. He also had the mallet finger that he played through, but that could happen to any QB and was not related to his play style.

The idea that TH is frequently injured is greatly exaggerated.

There is just nobody in the league like Taysom, I would hope Kubiak is cooking up plays in the lab.
Not really much to cook up. Keep the QB runs and mix in some read options for Kamara and Miller and hit them with some play action out of those two plays, exactly how he's been used.

Last edited:
i was listening to Underhill and he said the magic of Kyle Shanahan is that everything looks similar and they break tendencies often. You can’t really have too many substitutions if that is your goal. There will be ways to use Taysom, there always are, but I think the main contributions need to come from our running backs and wide receivers, and hopefully an upgraded, every down type of tight end.
This is what I’m looking forward to. In the beginning Payton’s offense was great. The substitutions and such worked well. You’d have every player on offense getting a turn to get the ball. What it turned into was a predictable offense based on personnel packages. It didn’t fool defenses anymore, and certainly not since Payton left.

So now at least that will change. I remember the Super Bowl when Terrell Davis tore up the game. There were only 6 basic formations and they only used 4 of them. Every play was run out of that. Now I know Kubiak’s dad wasn’t there. But his dad was, and Shanahan’s dad was the head coach.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom