Speculation Would y’all be happy with this change to the kickoff? (1 Viewer)

SigFreudianSlip

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Scrolling and happened upon this, first I’ve seen it as I couldn’t get into the XFL.
Would y’all like to see this in our game? I don’t think I’d hate it…..

I could live with something like that, except it would require special rules for an onside.

I still like the idea of replacing the kickoff with a punt after a score or at e start of a half.

Deonte Harty would feast on that. He was great at running straight ahead and getting past the first wave.

Should get punt machine and punt to the 50 yd line both teams start at their 25... you get the ball your team starts at their 35yd line.... lol talk about some hits...

No! leave the game alone or better yet go back to what used to be there that the league has already messed up.
I wish. I miss the old days.
Lame

How many injuries were we seeing on kickoffs in the first place? I feel like we're going crazy trying to find a solution for something that wasn't that big a problem
I wish they’d leave it all alone but they’ve got to put on the appearance that they care about player safety with all of the concussions and lawsuits.
I’d prefer keeping it the way it is. However, changes are coming like it or not. I’d take this over eliminating the kickoff all together, as I’ve heard some speculate.
Agreed.

I could live with something like that, except it would require special rules for an onside.

I still like the idea of replacing the kickoff with a punt after a score or at e start of a half.
XFL doesn't have only onsides. I believe they have a 4th and 15 rule:

SFIAH

XFL doesn't have only onsides. I believe they have a 4th and 15 rule:

SFIAH
I think that’s even more reason to go the punt route since it allows for surprise for an onside.

The kicking team snaps the ball from the 35, they can punt it away or try to cross the 50 with a run or pass to maintain possession. Gets rid of the artificial 4th down.

That's one of the least terrible suggestions I've seen, although it seems a bit too easy for the runner to break contain in that situation.

I'm not a fan at all of the 4th and 15 rule replacing onsides kick. They'd have to really relax the pass interference rule to make that work else there will be games where one team just never gives the ball back to the other ... especially late in games when defenses are more tired. Something like KC vs the Jags.

Maybe add a 5 second rule (or whatever time seems fair) where the play gets whistled dead if the ball doesn't cross the line of scrimmage by the 5th second. That would at least prevent DBs from getting caught in a scramble drill thus reducing the chances of PI/holding.

Lame

How many injuries were we seeing on kickoffs in the first place? I feel like we're going crazy trying to find a solution for something that wasn't that big a problem
Correct. That's why the NFL and their "making the game safer" BS, is just that, BS.
If safety were a concern, they would eliminate Thursday night teams playing after a Sunday game.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom