Would you sign Nigel Bradham back or bring in Clay Matthews ? (1 Viewer)

If peanuts, both. We are one more lb injury away from disaster now. Imo.

I didn't realise Clay Matthews wasn't playing. I guess his play has dropped off significantly, or he wasn't playing in the right scheme?

We drafted a guy. Hopefully baun can contribute

Baun was basically a DE at Wisconsin and the Saints are trying to convert him to an off-ball LB... that’s not the guy you want taking over just prior to the playoffs in your “Coverage LB” role. I like Baun, but he’s not the Kwon Alexander replacement... at least not now or anytime soon.

Id rather see Swearinger play more of a hybrid SS/LB role... or even give Chase Hansen a look next week vs Carolina and see if he can “not suck” in the Kwon role.

I know Kaden Elliss is an athlete, but I don’t really see him as a coverage LB...

*Darkhorse ALERT*
I want to mention a guy that could be a darkhorse in the scramble to fill the hole left by Kwon Alexander in the coverage LB role...
Saints current practice squad member Andrew Dowell. Dowell is a very athletic LB that really plays more like a big SS. Dowell has been on the PS long enough to where he should understand the defense and scheme.

It will be Anzalone, and we”ll be fine. Our defense was good with Anzalone. Kwon was an upgrade, but Anzalone is also a good LB. It’s amazing how people have gone from thinking Anzalone was great to worthless. The truth is in between.

Clay Matthews? He doesn’t play inside. When he does on the rare occasion it is just to rush.

It will be Anzalone, and we”ll be fine. Our defense was good with Anzalone. Kwon was an upgrade, but Anzalone is also a good LB. It’s amazing how people have gone from thinking Anzalone was great to worthless. The truth is in between.

Anzalone appeared to be coming into his own prior to his season-ending injury last season. However, this season, he has not played well... so much so that the Saints felt it was necessary to go out at the trade deadline and acquire his upgraded replacement in Kwon Alexander.
Anzalone has a chance to get things right and make himself a lot of money when he hits free agency next offseason... but if the Anzalone that played up until the 49ers game picks up where left off, then it’s a problem! ...a problem that the Saints recognized.

I have no doubt that Anzalone is plan A to step back into a starting role... but Anzalone has another MAJOR concern around him outside of his sub-par play this season... his past issues with availability 😬

The Saints absolutely MUST have another LB on the roster that can play (and play at least decent) should they need him to. Robertson is a STer ONLY at this point. Baun isn’t ready to play a brand new position as a coverage LB... and Kaden Elliss is largely an afterthought at this point.
So it’s either going with one of the 2 “coverage-style” LBs on the practice squad (Hansen or Dowell), or going out and bringing a new face in.

*EDIT*
I just want to add that I hate that the Eagles poached Joe Bachie away from the Saints PS... I really liked Bachie, and although he’s not exactly considered a coverage LB, I think this would’ve been an opportunity for him to get a look.

I’ve been hard on Anzalone lately, but I’m fine with him as a backup. Stepping in for these kind of situations. Him being #1 on our depth chart was obviously the weakest part in our team chain.

I'm not in freak out mode. Anzalone's book isn't written (as long as he can stay on the field). He's had some nice bright spots in his career.

Certainly sucks, Kwon is a playmaker. Makes his offseason even more interesting. I've moved LB up to "need" from "want" for next offseason. We need a true 3 down backer to learn beside Davis that can stay on the field.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom