WSJ praises Jindal (1 Viewer)

Jindal is one of the best things going for Louisiana. We couldn't have gotten a governor like him at a better time. He should have been gov. 5 years ago.

Did you read the last part of the article? There is a lot of room for optimism, but there is still a chance he could fizzle out like Roemer. The first regular session will be a much better barometer of how well he will govern.

Like I said though, there is a lot of room for optimism.

BR Advocate had an article about one of his major contributers getting the first big state contract which Jindal asked for 4million more to be added to the project at the last special session. While it may be perfectly above board it sure does feel like the old days prior to Jindal.

the WSJ said:
Mr. Jindal's got some things going for him that Mr. Roemer lacked, including a broader electoral mandate and a legislature populated with new faces owing to a new term limits law. There is also a hope that in the wake of natural disaster and the faltering rebuilding effort that followed, Louisiana politics may finally be ready for a sea change.
I think the biggest thing Jindal has going for him is the lack of an Edwin Edwards-type orchestrating state politics from behind the scenes and constantly undermining what the elected Governor is trying to do, waiting to regain control. Roemer had a lot of good ideas, but lacked the political influence to see many of them come to fruition.

I've got my fingers crossed for that man. So far so good but we all know there is a ton of damage to be undone.

I think the biggest thing Jindal has going for him is the lack of an Edwin Edwards-type orchestrating state politics from behind the scenes and constantly undermining what the elected Governor is trying to do, waiting to regain control. Roemer had a lot of good ideas, but lacked the political influence to see many of them come to fruition.

Agreed :plus-un2: on all points!

The liberal Times-Picayune editorial board?

A reason Roemer failed--and there were several reasons--is that he had terrible people skills. Jindal doesn't have that failing.

BR Advocate had an article about one of his major contributers getting the first big state contract which Jindal asked for 4million more to be added to the project at the last special session. While it may be perfectly above board it sure does feel like the old days prior to Jindal.

The thing is that the donor was Gary Schouest.... Yes he is a major donor, but he is also one of the largest employers in the state. He has a multibillion dollar operation that creates tons of jobs and taxes for the state of Louisiana. When you have an office of economic development you try to attract new business, keep existing business, and assist in developing local businesses.

With the upgrades to the ports that the money went to, Schouest will be able to add over 1000 new jobs and continue to grow his ship manufacturing facilities. Its just smart investing..

The thing is that the donor was Gary Schouest.... Yes he is a major donor, but he is also one of the largest employers in the state. He has a multibillion dollar operation that creates tons of jobs and taxes for the state of Louisiana. When you have an office of economic development you try to attract new business, keep existing business, and assist in developing local businesses.

With the upgrades to the ports that the money went to, Schouest will be able to add over 1000 new jobs and continue to grow his ship manufacturing facilities. Its just smart investing..

Like I said it may be above board, BUT the additional 4 million added at a special session makes it seem like the old days.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom