Your favorite local bands... (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Let's face it, we live in one of the most music rich regions of the world. I'm sure that many of you have some local favorites, and folks like me might like to hear about them...

I know many of you aren't down here on the Third Coast, so I'm particullary interested in the grooves from your area (probably haven't heard of those guys yet).

I'll start: The Red Stick Ramblers out of Lafayette/Baton Rouge.

Last edited:
I caught Red Stick Ramblers at 307 a few months ago, they were really impressive.
My local favorite is Drew Zaunbrecher, a blues guitarist that plays in Lafayette.

I checked out Drew Zaunbrecher's myspace page and listened to a few of his tracks. It is indeed some good smooth blues.

Kudos on Sonny Landreth & the Bluerunners. Lafayette legends both.

Growing up, Woodenhead was the only thing in the city that did it for me.

TPS

The Bluebirds, with Buddy Flett on guitar.. out of Shreveopolis, LA :9:

The City Life
Glasgow!
Antenna Inn
Big Blue Marble
Fay Wray

all these guys are on myspace.

My favorite Austin band was (and always will be) the ARC Angels. After SRV died, they released one of the best one-off albums, in tribute to his memory.

Too bad Bramhall couldn't stay clean.

My favorite Austin band was (and always will be) the ARC Angels. After SRV died, they released one of the best one-off albums, in tribute to his memory.
Yeah, they're pretty good. If you want to talk tribute bands, we have a couple out here. One of them is an AC/DC tribute band (name escapes me) and they rock pretty hard ! They sound just like them ! It's simply amazing.
Also we have a Beatles tribute group here called the Eggmen. The music is right on, however the vocals have left me wondering at times...... Maybe I just caught them on a bad night.

I'd also need to add the Asylum Street Spankers in to the mix of favorite local acts. These people are hilarious ! Here's their site : asylumstreetspankers.com

Weird Austin at its finest !

On the New Orleans Scene:

The Radiators -- they've been rocking the Big Easy for nearly 30 years -- they have a couple of anniversary shows in January at Tips.

The Subdudes and Juice -- yeah, I check Da Night Tripper out every chance I get -- are up there too, and Anders Osbourne and Theresa Andersson also put on pretty good shows, and I'll check out Bonerama every chance I get.

During Jazz Fest last year I saw the New Orleans Social Club (Leo Nocentelli, George Porter, Jr., Ivan Neville, Raymond Weber & Henry Butler) a couple of times and they blew me away.

And Ivan's Dumpstaphunk is the greasiest funk since the Meters.

Last edited:
They may be a little "hokey", but on a good night Dash Rip Rock is one of the best bar bands I have ever seen. George Porter Jr. is also a good show. I will always enjoy seeing the Neville Bros live. But my favorite band from New Orleans is still Zebra.

Attachments

• drrba.jpg
    drrba.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 106
  • 159379.jpg
    159379.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 105
In New Orleans, I'd go with The Rads and Kermit Ruffins.

In NYC, I'll go with Kaki King (she is one GREAT geetar player) and Lancaster Prison (I've never heard banjo with Celtic tones and a punk groove).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom