10 Most Overrated NFL Players In 2024 (Kamara Included) (1 Viewer)

In the article/story below from Sportsnaut by Matt Johnson he breaks down his opinion of the 10 most overrated NFL Players in 2024. He has Kamara on his list.

Note: This is an opinion piece.

Do you agree?

Most Saints fans want to give AK41 a bit of a pass on the 2023 season. He had legal issues with an unfavorable look leading up to the season and was forced to miss the first 3 games due to his suspension. The offense was mostly a mess until the last 6 games of the year and the offensive line play in particular wasn't good. It was the lowest rushing output of Kamaras 7 seasons and the second lowest average per carry of his career.

Going into the 2024 season Kamara appears to be healthy. He's not coming off of any type of serious injury. He doesn't have clouds hanging over his head as a distraction. There's a new offense being installed that supposedly his skill set adheres to pretty well. The down numbers from last year and his age are somewhat of a concern as a bell cow back but part of why he is on this list is his extremely high salary cap hit.

Excerpts From Article:

Alvin Kamara used to be one of the best running backs in the NFL, but time catches up with everyone. Heading into his age-29 season, Kamara really only cleared 1,100 scrimmage yards last season because Derek Carr dumped the football off to him 75 times. Kamara ranked 40th in yards per carry (3.9), 48th in yards per touch (4.5), 40th in breakaway run rate (3.3 percent) and 107th in Expected Points Added (-11.6). Carrying an $18.553 million cap hit in 2024, Kamara is now a below-average runner and not as explosive as a playmaker in the open field as he used to be.

Link To Full Article Below:

Nothing from that excerpt is a reason to say that AK is overrated. The writer is saying something that we already know. He doesn't give an accurate analysis of why AK is overrated.

Nothing from that excerpt is a reason to say that AK is overrated. The writer is saying something that we already know. He doesn't give an accurate analysis of why AK is overrated.
He's suggesting that AKs numbers in the passing game are over inflated with Carr checking it down way to often and otherwise AK would not have eclipsed 1,100 yards from scrimmage in 2023, and also his 3.9 yards per carry which was his 2nd lowest in his 7 year career. Couple that with his salary and cap hit for 2024.

Keeping things in perspective I don't necessarily agree with it all. First, he ignores the fact the AK missed 4 games on the year, 3 due to suspensions and 1 due to injury. Next, he doesn't take into account the in cohesiveness of the offense most of the year along with poor line play. Next, he doesn't realize that the entire RB room struggled behind the Saints line in 2023. Most of the running plays saw the backs being hit in the backfield before having a chance to gain any yards.

Kamara still has the wheels and the vision to play at a high level. He still has a burst through the hole when given one. His strengths are vision, quickness, making people miss, balance, and slipping tackles. He can excel doing that running between the tackles or even on the outside zone running plays where he can find a cut back lane. His forte' has never been breakaway speed to take it to the house. If he is used correctly, he can still be quite productive.

I said 3 years ago that "feeding" AK41 like an every down back would tear him apart.

He was always best lined up all over the field. He's a nightmare in space and has made some great catches when lined up wide.

I still think he's one of the top backs in the league but the offense has been a train wreck with a 1,000 pound anchor around its neck since Sean Payton left and it's not only Kamara's production that has suffered.

Hopefully Kubiak changes that.

Are you really going to pick a player to make your case that hasn't hardly played football in 4 years?
1715169912523.png
..........................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Artifactual​

1715169961690.png
.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
In 2023 Hill averaged 6.75 touches a game!

Taysom Hill was paid $6,869,000, he had 91 touches in 2023.

$6,869,000
----------- = $75,453.52 Per Touch... Per Play

That is outrageous for any player in the NFL!

CASE CLOSED!

Fun fact, Taysom Hill has more non-passing (Rushing+Receiving) TDs than Michael Thomas in 31 less games started. The NFL doesn't play football that way anymore!
I feel like if any Saint belongs on this list it’s MT and not AK.

1715169912523.png
..........................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Artifactual​

1715169961690.png
.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
In 2023 Hill averaged 6.75 touches a game!

Taysom Hill was paid $6,869,000, he had 91 touches in 2023.

$6,869,000
----------- = $75,453.52 Per Touch... Per Play

CASE CLOSED!
Taysom might make a list of top ten most overpaid players, but I wouldn’t say he’s overrated. He plays his role well for the most part.

Taysom Hill was paid $6,869,000, he had 91 touches in 2023. ***False! Paid $9,900,000 in 2023. TH7 had 125 touches, 81 rushes, 33 receptions and 11 passing attempts.

$6,869,000
----------- = $75,453.52 Per Touch... Per Play ***Corrected Math = $79,200 Per Touch.....Per Play In 2023*** (Sources: OTC/Cash Paid...Pro-Football-Reference)
That is outrageous for any player in the NFL! Really?...Facts over Fiction....The cost per touch today can be a lot. Amount of Cash Paid in 2023 to the following players: Jameis Winston $78,846, Deebo Samuel $116, 564, Travis Kelce $121,287, Mark Andrews $163,043, Keenan Allen $172,727, George Kittle $184,242, Darren Waller $232,602, Deshaun Watson $233,502, Nick Chubb $381,250, Aaron Rodgers $36,888,888

CASE CLOSED!

CASE REOPENED FOR BROADER CONTEXT!

While you were Cherry Picking numbers for one season you could have shown those of MT13 (on a reduced prove it restructured contract for 2023) for better context in comparison to what you presented for TH7.

You didn't, but for comparisons sake I've done your homework for you. You might be surprised to find they don't help your case. Let's review.

Michael Thomas was paid $6,460,000 in 2023. He had 39 touches. He was paid $165,641.02 Per Touch....Per Play in 2023.

Taking a broader view using a 4 year window, as you falsely criticized Snakehead of doing when in fact he didn't, I'll take the liberty of using that window.

During the most recent 4 year window of 2020, 2021, 2022, and 2023 the Saints paid Michael Thomas a total of $46,060,000. He had 96 touches during that time.

$46,060,000 divided by 96 touches equals $479,791.66 Per Touch....Per Play. A half million bucks per touch. Playing in only 20 of 67 games over 4 seasons.

That is Beyond Outrageous for any player in the NFL!

CASED CLOSED AGAIN!

I’m excited to see Kamara in this scheme. It sucks that he’s 29 y/o, but it is what it is.

Taysom might make a list of top ten most overpaid players, but I wouldn’t say he’s overrated. He plays his role well for the most part.
The Saints game him a bad contract & it only get worse from here...
Hopefully it gets renegotiated to more favorable terms.

He has to have more than 6.75 touches a game to justify this contract & I completely understand that this isn't his fault.
Hopefully Kubia will give him more touches this year!
CASE REOPENED FOR BROADER CONTEXT!

While you were Cherry Picking numbers for one season you could have shown those of MT13 (on a reduced prove it restructured contract for 2023) for better context in comparison to what you presented for TH7.

You didn't, but for comparisons sake I've done your homework for you. You might be surprised to find they don't help your case. Let's review.

Michael Thomas was paid $6,460,000 in 2023. He had 39 touches. He was paid $165,641.02 Per Touch....Per Play in 2023.

Taking a broader view using a 4 year window, as you falsely criticized Snakehead of doing when in fact he didn't, I'll take the liberty of using that window.

During the most recent 4 year window of 2020, 2021, 2022, and 2023 the Saints paid Michael Thomas a total of $46,060,000. He had 96 touches during that time.

$46,060,000 divided by 96 touches equals $479,791.66 Per Touch....Per Play. A half million bucks per touch. Playing in only 20 of 67 games over 4 seasons.

That is Beyond Outrageous for any player in the NFL!

CASED CLOSED AGAIN!
I'm not cherry picking. Those stats are directly from the link I posted...

As I stated in my original post, some of you aren't going to like it!

The truth is the Saints gave him a large contract and it only gets worse as time goes by & there isn't much he has been able to do about it because he doesn't determine how many touches he gets a game. That was Carmichael.

Hopefully Kubiak will get him more involved in the Offense.

Last edited:
He has to have more than 6.75 touches a game to justify this contract & I completely understand that this isn't his fault.
I'm not going to argue his contract but for comparison he had more touches last year than every player labeled a tight end and more touches than all but 4 wide receivers. If you compare him to running backs his touches put him around 50th.

He's a difficult player to put a dollar value on for me.

I agree. If anything, he should be on a list of most underutilized players.

I’ve never seen a player that instantly changes a game be so passed over in situations where they could thrive than I saw last season with Taysom.

If Kubiak doesn’t see a way he could utilize him more effectively than Carmichael did last season - then he’s not trying hard enough. 😄

Some of AK’s struggles are due to poor offensive line play and no complimentary backs. Jammal Williams was 💩. Kendre Miller was injured. And we refuse to line Taysom up as a running back.
I would wager its was the lack of a creative run game and the Saints running Kamara like a battering ram and not using him as a satellite back and designing plays to get him to the outside and in the slot as a receiver like CSP used him and guys like him.

I would wager its was the lack of a creative run game and the Saints running Kamara like a battering ram and not using him as a satellite back and designing plays to get him to the outside and in the slot as a receiver like CSP used him and guys like him.

That started before Payton left as soon as we got rid of Latavius Murray. Ingram wasn't the same and got hurt. Jammal Williams isn't the guy either. Kendre Miller was hurt. And part of that is the Oline as well. Basically everything I said in my prior post.

I think his lack of production was due to the absolutely idiotic offense they ran last year. He will make them eat those words this season.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom