#178 overall - New Orleans Saints poll (2008 "Experts" Mock draft) (1 Viewer)

With the #178 overall selection in the 2008 NFL Draft, the New Orleans Saints select . . .

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would choose Hart over Hester.

That being said, I could go Wallace...but I'm thinking Mehlaff. Take that Martin.

I don't get all the love for Ikegwuonu. Even if he hadn't been hurt or in trouble, the guy is not a blazer (reportedly a 4.67 before his injury) and all the draft write-ups project him as a Tampa 2 type who would not do well in man coverage at all. Sure, he's a value pick in the 6th round for a team that runs a Tampa 2, but why is he a good pick for the Saints who play mostly man? Doesn't make sense to me.

I'm with the Grant-Ellis camp on this pick, because my actual choice somehow did not end up on the poll. C Kory Lichtensteiger is who I would choose and as someone mentioned on the main thread there is a report out that the Saints have shown some interest in him.

Anyway, Grant-Ellis from this list for me.

I had to select Dunlap because K. Barton from OSU was left off the list again.

I also nominated Barton, but give LSS and kooldak a break, guys! Everybody can't be grading prospects the same this far down the list! This late in the draft, one could come up with a list of probably 40-50 players that somebody thinks should be "the one", and that would be head-spinning. The list is long enough as it is.

I would choose Hart over Hester.

That being said, I could go Wallace...but I'm thinking Mehlaff. Take that Martin.

I think Hester is a pointless :homer: pick for the Saints, but I have to disagree here. Hart is a great college back, but will never be anything more then a backup in the NFL IMO. Way undersized, extremely slow for a RB, has a ton of injury concerns, and is in noway a powerful back. He's just one of those players who is smart enough to beat up on lesser college talent but will be engulfed by the NFL's speed.

I can agree....but what's wrong with getting a backup in the 6th round? Sure you get your Colston's every 10-15 years but 90% of the time, a team would be ecstatic with a backup in the 6th....oh just to make the roster.

I can agree....but what's wrong with getting a backup in the 6th round? Sure you get your Colston's every 10-15 years but 90% of the time, a team would be ecstatic with a backup in the 6th....oh just to make the roster.

What I meant was Hester offers more value then Hart here if I had to choose between them. I agree though, that in the 6th your just hoping the pick can make the team and offer depth, much less contribute on any large level.

For me Hester was the best football player on this list. Hart may be a higher rated runner, but his injuries concern me and Hester actually ran a faster 40 time than Hart at the combine. Hester also ran faster than Green-Ellis.

Keglar intrigued me as well. He has all the physical abilities, but has never translated that to success on the field. Under-achiever? Poor instincts? Poor tackling skills? All add up to passing IMO.

Ikegwuono was never on my draft board because of his burglary and criminal trespassing arrest. We don't need a player stealing X-Boxes. Did I mention he likely will not even be ready to play this season because of his torn ACL and MCL?? I am surprised he is getting so many votes.

I picked Hester because we only have Kevin Dudley backing up Karney.

I firmly believe that Hester would be much better than Dudley if Karney got hurt.

Pretty tight poll. I wonder what the second choice would be for the six people that voted for Tommy Blake.....

(165) 31 Phi (19from NYG) - DE Tommy Blake, TCU

I think Hester is a pointless :homer: pick for the Saints...

I think you are selling Sean Payton short. You think if we draft Hester he would compete/back-up M Karney?? No way. He could be incorporated into our offense as a situational runner/pass catcher. I see him being used as a RB or even an H-Back ala C Cooley in WAS.

Yes I'm a :homer:.

Pretty tight poll. I wonder what the second choice would be for the six people that voted for Tommy Blake.....

(165) 31 Phi (19from NYG) - DE Tommy Blake, TCU

Ikegwuono. Those two have the greatest value. Both have 1st round talent, but have fallen due to injury (Ikegwuono) and attitude (Blake).

Ikegwuonu in the sixth would be really good value when he comes back. His speed was the biggest concern before the injury (reportedly ran in the 4.4's but scout's wanted to time him to make sure) but even if he has lost a step he could still slide over to the safety position (Listed at 6 feet 194 lbs). I saw an ESPN article when he first declared and a scout in the article had said Jack could project better to FS in the pro ranks. Then again it was an ESPN article so take it with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
Oh come on... Hester is only 1 vote back.. Please no... unless he is going to move to TE, we shouldn't be drafting him. I don't argue with him as a good value here, trust me, but we don't need a FB/RB hybrid unless he intends to be a TE most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom