A proper Drew Brees sendoff (1 Viewer)

Bill

Thirsty for more!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I can't help but to think about all that Drew Brees has meant to New Orleans and to Saints fans everywhere over the last 15 years. For those of us who grew up with Saints football from the beginning, it is impossible not to wonder if we will ever see a more impressive stretch of quality football from the Black & Gold as what we saw during Drew's tenure as the Saints starting quarterback.

Say what you will about his decline in the twilight of his football career, watching him glance back at his 'office space' as he left the field for the last time left me with a lump in my throat and a bitter feeling that it never should have ended as unceremoniously as it did. Whether his retirement was to be after a victory or a loss was not as big of an issue for me as was the inability to have a Dome full of adoring fans give him a proper sendoff into the next chapter of his life.

The way things ended left quite a void for me. Perhaps you felt it too. This made me wonder what would happen if Saints fans had the opportunity to give our departing hero a real sendoff. Oh, I suppose a day will come when Drew will visit the Superdome to lead the pregame Who Dat! Chant, or otherwise be introduced during some formal halftime celebration in an effort to give a lot of us the 'closure' that we were looking for. But somehow doing either of those things would still fall short (in my estimation) of how it should be.

So this pondering eventually led me to wondering how many Saints fans would be in favor of having Drew signed to a one week contract in 2021 and be introduced with the offense as the starting QB in Week 1 against the Green Bay Packers. No, I would not be in favor of having an 'un-camped' Drew Brees come in to play an entire game or even one series. I would be satisfied just to see him lick his fingers once again, step up behind the center, and take the first snap for our offense just one last time.

After that first play, he could then leave the field and turn the QB duties over to the guy who earned the starting job in this upcoming training camp. Then as Drew leaves the field (for the real final time) it would now be with the opportunity for the full throat of the Superdome crowd to let him know how much we appreciate what he has meant to us all.

I may be in the minority on doing such a thing and I certainly have no clue as to what the league would have to say about such a stunt. But I couldn't help but to wonder how many other Saints fans would be in favor of seeing such a thing become a reality. No, I don't believe this scenario would even be possible. But to me it would right the wrong of how Drew left the playing field (and his playing career) last January. And it would be what he deserves as the greatest player to ever wear a Saints uniform.

He’s gone, let’s all get thru the stages of the grieving process and let him go. How about at the seasons 1st game, he stands on the 50 yard line, they show some film of vintage Brees and then he starts The Who Dat chant.

he can also hand the baton to Winston or hill at the start of the game. Fade out, goodbye, but not forgotten.

if Saints have a home playoff game this year, that would be the perfect time - ultimate bat game

regular season would be hard bc starting QB (and rest of offense) doesn't need to hear Drew cheered harder than current players

if it's not this year, then it should probably be like 5 years down the road when his Jersey is put in the rafters

At some point this season, likely during a nationally televised home game, they will bring him in a a non-roster honorary captain, and honor him. This is what was planned for Duece but a third string DT got injured late in the week during a practice and anyone else they brought in would be inactive so they gave the inactive roster spot to Duece. That allowed Duece to get a play-off game check and and partial Superbowl check. Even if something like that happens for Drew he will not take a snap.

nice thought, op, but all the cheering will cost us a d.o.g. penalty or timeout, which sp needs for challenges later in the game

Been thinking the same as the OP but my idea is the M Monday PS game. Sign him to a 1 day contract. Tell The Who Dat nation so the place is packed. One play then call time out. Let us say goodbye properly

Been thinking the same as the OP but my idea is the M Monday PS game. Sign him to a 1 day contract. Tell The Who Dat nation so the place is packed. One play then call time out. Let us say goodbye properly
Though I still don't believe it will happen, I could live with it being a preseason game as you have suggested. But only if all the fans knew well in advance in order to ensure the place would be packed just like a regular season game. I'm glad to know someone else imagined the same scenario!

:melike:

When was Archie's last game? Until Drew he was who we hung out legacy coat on. Drew's legacy for us will last his and our lifetime plus our kids most likely. I 100% think the team will do something for drew this season. Does it matter? Not for me or my kids....or maybe even for some of their kids. Drew as of right now is the greatest saint to ever wear the jersey. A send off or flashing lights is not going to change that a generation from now.

When was Archie's last game? Until Drew he was who we hung out legacy coat on. Drew's legacy for us will last his and our lifetime plus our kids most likely. I 100% think the team will do something for drew this season. Does it matter? Not for me or my kids....or maybe even for some of their kids. Drew as of right now is the greatest saint to ever wear the jersey. A send off or flashing lights is not going to change that a generation from now.
No, in the grand scheme of things it really won't change Drew's legacy at all. He'll be no more or less loved and/or admired for what he has meant to long-suffering Saints fans. Archie Manning is certainly still admired in these parts even though he didn't finish his career in a Saints uniform. I realize that sooner or later Drew will get the acknowledgement he deserves in front of the patrons who appreciated him the most, right there in the Superdome.

To me it just seems different that he will be doing so in street clothes instead of the uniform that we will always associate him with. I just think it would have been appropriate for him to come out of an actual game for the last time in front of a full house to send him off into retirement. But as you said... it really doesn't change a thing about the player we loved to watch perform on the field for 15 amazing years!

I would like to see some kind of halftime send-off, that would be cool, but it's not high on my list of Saints priorities....I'm ready to move on and hope DB has a long and healthy life after football. I would like to see him as part of the Saints org in some capacity someday....

I can't help but to think about all that Drew Brees has meant to New Orleans and to Saints fans everywhere over the last 15 years. For those of us who grew up with Saints football from the beginning, it is impossible not to wonder if we will ever see a more impressive stretch of quality football from the Black & Gold as what we saw during Drew's tenure as the Saints starting quarterback.

Say what you will about his decline in the twilight of his football career, watching him glance back at his 'office space' as he left the field for the last time left me with a lump in my throat and a bitter feeling that it never should have ended as unceremoniously as it did. Whether his retirement was to be after a victory or a loss was not as big of an issue for me as was the inability to have a Dome full of adoring fans give him a proper sendoff into the next chapter of his life.

The way things ended left quite a void for me. Perhaps you felt it too. This made me wonder what would happen if Saints fans had the opportunity to give our departing hero a real sendoff. Oh, I suppose a day will come when Drew will visit the Superdome to lead the pregame Who Dat! Chant, or otherwise be introduced during some formal halftime celebration in an effort to give a lot of us the 'closure' that we were looking for. But somehow doing either of those things would still fall short (in my estimation) of how it should be.

So this pondering eventually led me to wondering how many Saints fans would be in favor of having Drew signed to a one week contract in 2021 and be introduced with the offense as the starting QB in Week 1 against the Green Bay Packers. No, I would not be in favor of having an 'un-camped' Drew Brees come in to play an entire game or even one series. I would be satisfied just to see him lick his fingers once again, step up behind the center, and take the first snap for our offense just one last time.

After that first play, he could then leave the field and turn the QB duties over to the guy who earned the starting job in this upcoming training camp. Then as Drew leaves the field (for the real final time) it would now be with the opportunity for the full throat of the Superdome crowd to let him know how much we appreciate what he has meant to us all.

I may be in the minority on doing such a thing and I certainly have no clue as to what the league would have to say about such a stunt. But I couldn't help but to wonder how many other Saints fans would be in favor of seeing such a thing become a reality. No, I don't believe this scenario would even be possible. But to me it would right the wrong of how Drew left the playing field (and his playing career) last January. And it would be what he deserves as the greatest player to ever wear a Saints uniform.
SP has the slyest play coming: 1st play of Regular Season game, both TH and JW take the field, they huddle, but there's only 10 in the huddle.

Then...

Drew Brees takes the field and The Crowd Goes WILD!!!!!

[Hey, I can dream, can't I?]

There's no way for the fans or the organization to give Drew Brees a proper sendoff. How could we possibly show our appreciation? How could a city thank a man for helping to save it? How could a sports franchise thank a man for helping to keep the team in New Orleans? Obviously we'll try. The team will plan something and the place will be packed but any farewell will fall short.

You'd be hard pressed to find another player who has done so much for a city, state, and region. We're talking about having the man lead the Who Dat chant when we should be talking which streets should be named after him and where his statues will go.

SP has the slyest play coming: 1st play of Regular Season game, both TH and JW take the field, they huddle, but there's only 10 in the huddle.

Then...

Drew Brees takes the field and The Crowd Goes WILD!!!!!

[Hey, I can dream, can't I?]
You are INSANE!!!
But I like it! :very-happy:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom