AAF done? (1 Viewer)

How can you launch a league without a plan to complete a single season? What a waste of time and money.

• 1Like
Reactions: You
Knew this would happen but I really thought exposure would be their downfall. I'm a cord cutter and I'm a lazy cord cutter so I'm not willing to spend the time trying to find a good stream. Watched one game opening weekend and thought it was good...next game had zero announcers because it was a weird stream or something and never looked for a third. Those games should've been on one of the 3 networks every weekend Nationwide and they would've had a better chance.
The games where free on youtubelol

think with all the $$$ NFL makes they could keep this going or do a better job :)

The games where free on youtubelol
YouTube isn't available over the air like abc, CBS, NBC, and fox. Free or not it's a pain to watch YouTube on the TV and I'm not going to be a bentneck staring at my phone for 3 hours.

YouTube isn't available over the air like abc, CBS, NBC, and fox. Free or not it's a pain to watch YouTube on the TV and I'm not going to be a bentneck staring at my phone for 3 hours.
Ummm... Smart TVs been having youtube
Built-in since like 2015. Time for you upgrade, sir.

It was actually getting good attendance in some cities and pretty good ratings to the point where CBS (like actual CBS) was going to broadcast some games. This Dunder Mifflin guy screwed them.

But I don't understand how it got to the point where they needed him to bail them out in the first place. How can you start a minor league without a couple years of runway before you need a bailout? There's not one business in the world that profits after a couple of months, especially one with the up front costs of a nationwide sports league. What the hell were they thinking would happen? Every game would sell out, and AAF ratings would match the NFL?

Knew this would happen but I really thought exposure would be their downfall. I'm a cord cutter and I'm a lazy cord cutter so I'm not willing to spend the time trying to find a good stream. Watched one game opening weekend and thought it was good...next game had zero announcers because it was a weird stream or something and never looked for a third. Those games should've been on one of the 3 networks every weekend Nationwide and they would've had a better chance.

Just FYI, I'm a cord cutter from way back. Hulu Live is $45 and the best deal out there right now. It has an impressive list of sports channels for the price. Got all the channels broadcasting AAF games except NFL Network. Also, local bonus, it streams 3 of the 4 local stations here in the DC area and NBC Sports Washington for Capitals games (...and Wizards if they ever get worth watching) without an extra charge. As soon as I saw the Hulu Live offering I cancelled Sling TV. Hulu has better apps for various devices too. Anyway, worth checking out what they have in your area.

But I don't understand how it got to the point where they needed him to bail them out in the first place. How can you start a minor league without a couple years of runway before you need a bailout? There's not one business in the world that profits after a couple of months, especially one with the up front costs of a nationwide sports league. What the hell were they thinking would happen? Every game would sell out, and AAF ratings would match the NFL?

Apparently their original backer got cold feet and bailed. Enter this Dundon dude and the rest is history.

It is very curious that a developmental league simply NEVER works. There's an appetite for it and athletes anxious for the opportunity. I guess the game is so expensive to produce that it can't work unless it's for big bucks and you're not going to get that for a dev league product. It's a dilly of a pickle.

Some of the stories that are coming out are really shameful.

Players getting stuck with $2500 hotel bills in a strange city with no way home, should have been thought out better, they only had 2 more weeks in their season, they couldn't have found some way to tough it out?

Some of the stories that are coming out are really shameful.

Players getting stuck with $2500 hotel bills in a strange city with no way home, should have been thought out better, they only had 2 more weeks in their season, they couldn't have found some way to tough it out?

"They" was one man (Thomas Dundon) who decided to take his ball and go home. Bit of a shame really.

Given that this site is still the only place I've ever heard it mentioned, I'm not surprised.

Most if not all athletes have clauses in their contracts prohibiting things like this anyway due to injury concerns. The NFlPA was simply following their own rules and negotiations with players and the league. Besides, with the continuing issues with concussions is sure the NFLPA wasn’t overly happy with the vicious shots that players were taking in those games. Hard to be a voice of the NFL being the bad guy if you openly allow your members to participate in them

Ummm... Smart TVs been having youtube
Built-in since like 2015. Time for you upgrade, sir.

Amen brother
Youtube, prime video, ruku, a browser where you can watch pretty much anything you want, plus hundreds more apps. I love my smart tv's. Cut the cable.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom