Adventures in car buying (2 Viewers)

staphory

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
So I bought a new car on President's day. I was looking at a particular model and spoke with a salesman about it, just to see what the possibilities were. We talked numbers and a couple of hours later, reached an agreement.
The only problem was that my old car had an aftermarket radio in it that I wanted to put in the new car. The new car doesn't have nav in it so this would be solving a problem. It was raining pretty hard by then and the service department was closed so I couldn't remove the aftermarket radio that night. I told the salesman that he had a deal but I would need to leave with my current car and put it back to stock then bring it back.
They didn't want to let me leave like that and asked me to pick a time that I could come back and they would hold the car until I came back with the spare keys. We agreed on a day and time and I left happy.
Huge mistake.
The day came and I headed out. I called the guy to let him know that I was on the way. He said OK, he would be waiting. He called me back about two minutes later and informed me that they sold the car while he was off! I was livid. I didn't yell or use foul language, I did let him know that I wasn't happy. I believe the guy when he said that he had nothing to do with it, he is obviously new. The dealership's response is basically "Oh well".
I'm just telling this story to remind everyone that, when you buy a car, get all promises in writing. That is where I failed. I got in a hurry to leave and took their word on it. There is nothing I can do and the dealership only cares about getting the sale.
Caveat Emptor

Sounds to me like they owe you a nav system. If he admitted to it, then they owe it to you.

Yeah, I'd be telling ol' salesman there that I'd be expecting some new equipment put in, either by them or they could foot the bill at a local sound system place.

I bought a used car some time ago and the salesman told me he would detail this, fix that, repair that and as soon as I signed the dotted line all I got was an oil change and an car wash. The salesman told me that the issues I had addressed with the car were no longer his problem. General Manager told me the same thing. It seems once these slimeballs get you to sign you are no longer there problem and could careless about you. Car is great now but I had to pay out of pocket to get some of these issues fixed. Moral of story is get all promises in writing. Also if the car has a guarntee check to see what it covers. Make sure it covers Transmission and Engine to at least 90,000 miles.

Yeah, I do expect anything to get done. The only thing that will happen is I'm going to rip them pretty good when I get the survey. That's about it.

HA! Saleman knew exactly what was going on. As soon as you leave in the new car the old one is thiers and will be wholesaled later that day. You got jobbed, son!

I forget the exact name, but I recall most dealerships have a form that can be filled out if they owe you anything as contingent upon the sale. I.e you notice a scratch on the car before you take ownership. You want an option added or removed. It should be documented and signed by both parties.

Most salesman get their bonuses tied to their survey results. So, if that survey hasn't been taken yet, I'd totally threaten to give them a bunch of 0's or 1's over the matter, and fill out a nasty review, until everyone can come up with an acceptable resolution.

Assuming this is a new car dealership.

Did you buy a make/model at a dealership that sells primarily that make, i.e. a Ford at a Ford dealership? Usually they all have a regional manager or a national customer care line you can call.

I had a buddy who bought a Jeep...the dealership tried to screw him over in the service department when it required major repairs that was covered on the warranty. They initially refused, but he called Jeep, and Jeep called that dealership and told them to replace the engine or have their name pulled off the dealership sign by the end of the day.

Car companies understand the nature of care sales and do not like it when their dealers pull stuff over on their customer because it hurts their brand. Raise hell at that level and you'll probably get the local manager in hot water and you will likely get your problem resolved. Good luck.

Most salesman get their bonuses tied to their survey results. So, if that survey hasn't been taken yet, I'd totally threaten to give them a bunch of 0's or 1's over the matter, and fill out a nasty review, until everyone can come up with an acceptable resolution.

This is true - and a fairly new thing. They have become obsessed with JD Power and similar and want high marks.

My last car purchase was by email with the sales manager. Basically, when you decide what car you want, down to every little option, and you find where that exact vehicle is within a X mile radius of you by searching the manufacturer's inventories. Then you do the whole deal by email with the sales manager - everything is documented. Ideally, you find the same vehicle held by several dealers and you contact each of them.

But this really only works for new cars.

staph,

normally, on the sale paper, they would write down what they have to do or what you wanted to do.

did that not happen? When i bought our Expedition, there were a few items needing attention and all of those were written on the initial "negotiating page" and then on the bill of sale.

NNNNNNNNNNNNNEEEVERMIND...just saw that last few sentences .

If buying a new car tell them you want to split holdback. That's usually $100-$300 below invoice and I've never met a dealer that wouldn't do it.

Always buy on the last weekend of the month.

Get an appraisal on your car after you negotiated price on the new car. Never take the first offer as they are usually holding back there also.

You get your car appraised at a $10k number from the used car manager meanwhile the sales guy comes to you and says they'll give you $8,000.
If you accept the sales guy will make a commission on the $2,000 he withheld from you while explaining how great of a deal you are getting because of tax credits.

Get pre approved for financing. The finance guy almost always bumps buy rate by half to a whole point. Over the course of a loan that adds up.

I can save anyone looking for a new car thousands of dollars over the course of an auto loan.

And yes get everything in writing especially as it pertains to trade ins and what you are owed.

Jd Power surveys kill dealer allocations also. So if they screw you over the place to hit them where it hurts is surveys. We would get $100 cash bonuses for positive surveys to give you an idea of the significance.

Hope this helps some.

If buying a new car tell them you want to split holdback. That's usually $100-$300 below invoice and I've never met a dealer that wouldn't do it.

Get an appraisal on your car after you negotiated price on the new car. Never take the first offer as they are usually holding back there also.

You get your car appraised at a $10k number from the used car manager meanwhile the sales guy comes to you and says they'll give you $8,000.
If you accept the sales guy will make a commission on the $2,000 he withheld from you while explaining how great of a deal you are getting because of tax credits.

Get pre approved for financing. The finance guy almost always bumps buy rate by half to a whole point. Over the course of a loan that adds up.

I can save anyone looking for a new car thousands of dollars over the course of an auto loan.

And yes get everything in writing especially as it pertains to trade ins and what you are owed.

Jd Power surveys kill dealer allocations also. So if they screw you over the place to hit them where it hurts is surveys. We would get $100 cash bonuses for positive surveys to give you an idea of the significance.

Hope this helps some.
The Toyota sales rep told me that if all marks on survey were not 5/5, her commission was cut in half. The dealership followed up twice post-sale to make sure all was good, and when I brought the car back for warranty/recall work everything was done with no questions asked and a loaner car offered, I didn't even have to ask.

Always read dealer reviews :)

your other points are excellent as well.

I'm currently shopping for a new vehicle (Subaru) and have quotes down to 4.8% below invoice from a couple dealers for an order or lot vehicle. That's just from a couple rounds of emails and calls with no public incentives. Some dealers won't move below invoice which seems strange in a competitive market. Trade pricing via Subaru's Guaranteed Trade Program seems reasonable and it's nice to have up front pricing.

I forget the exact name, but I recall most dealerships have a form that can be filled out if they owe you anything as contingent upon the sale. I.e you notice a scratch on the car before you take ownership. You want an option added or removed. It should be documented and signed by both parties.

It was a new car dealer. What you are talking about is a form that says "WE OWE" in large font at the top. I failed by not getting them to write that down.

Did you buy a make/model at a dealership that sells primarily that make, i.e. a Ford at a Ford dealership? Usually they all have a regional manager or a national customer care line you can call.

I had a buddy who bought a Jeep...the dealership tried to screw him over in the service department when it required major repairs that was covered on the warranty. They initially refused, but he called Jeep, and Jeep called that dealership and told them to replace the engine or have their name pulled off the dealership sign by the end of the day.

Car companies understand the nature of care sales and do not like it when their dealers pull stuff over on their customer because it hurts their brand. Raise hell at that level and you'll probably get the local manager in hot water and you will likely get your problem resolved. Good luck.
Thanks, I'm going to give them a day or so more to do the right thing.

This is true - and a fairly new thing. They have become obsessed with JD Power and similar and want high marks.

My last car purchase was by email with the sales manager. Basically, when you decide what car you want, down to every little option, and you find where that exact vehicle is within a X mile radius of you by searching the manufacturer's inventories. Then you do the whole deal by email with the sales manager - everything is documented. Ideally, you find the same vehicle held by several dealers and you contact each of them.

But this really only works for new cars.
I haven't gotten any surveys yet, I will be brutal when I do. No exaggerating, just honesty.

Hope this helps some.
It does help. I Intend to absolutely kill them on the survey.

The Toyota sales rep told me that if all marks on survey were not 5/5, her commission was cut in half. The dealership followed up twice post-sale to make sure all was good, and when I brought the car back for warranty/recall work everything was done with no questions asked and a loaner car offered, I didn't even have to ask.

Always read dealer reviews :)

your other points are excellent as well.

I'm currently shopping for a new vehicle (Subaru) and have quotes down to 4.8% below invoice from a couple dealers for an order or lot vehicle. That's just from a couple rounds of emails and calls with no public incentives. Some dealers won't move below invoice which seems strange in a competitive market. Trade pricing via Subaru's Guaranteed Trade Program seems reasonable and it's nice to have up front pricing.
Subaru has had a lot of success lately. Sales are way up for them so I bet some dealers will get to where they don't want to deal as much. Honestly, I love Subaru. If there was a dealer nearer to me than Jackson, MS I would have gotten a Legacy.

FWIW: Someone called me from the Dealer and wanted to ask me a few questions about my sales experience. She got more than she bargained for. I had her pretty flustered on the first question and we never got to number two. I was very nice but also fairly forceful in expressing my displeasure at the sales experience, she assured me that upper management reviews all of her customer comments.
I did a google search, my car was listed at various sites online the day after I traded it. They obviously had no intention of keeping our agreement.
We'll see if anything happens.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom