Adventures in car buying (3 Viewers)

Subaru has had a lot of success lately. Sales are way up for them so I bet some dealers will get to where they don't want to deal as much. Honestly, I love Subaru. If there was a dealer nearer to me than Jackson, MS I would have gotten a Legacy.

I ruled them out while in Louisiana for the same reason. Had 1 dealer within 100 miles there while there are 13 within 100 here. I'm going from an Impreza hatch to an XV for the ground clearance and EyeSight collision avoidance among other things. Wish they had a fuel efficient turbo option, but aside from that I like both vehicles.

Hopefully your dealer provides at least some kind of compensation. You'd think they would offer some solution to avoid bad reviews.

Lost in this thread is what car you purchased and how you like it.

I ruled them out while in Louisiana for the same reason. Had 1 dealer within 100 miles there while there are 13 within 100 here. I'm going from an Impreza hatch to an XV for the ground clearance and EyeSight collision avoidance among other things. Wish they had a fuel efficient turbo option, but aside from that I like both vehicles.

Hopefully your dealer provides at least some kind of compensation. You'd think they would offer some solution to avoid bad reviews.

Lost in this thread is what car you purchased and how you like it.

Yes to the bolded part.

And also, the bad review loses some luster if you don't threaten them with it in order to get some sort of correction to your situation. They can't get you your radio back, they may not help with the cost of a new one, but they can give you a few free oil changes and tire rotations. Get something out of them for misleading you.

I'm currently shopping for a new vehicle (Subaru) and have quotes down to 4.8% below invoice from a couple dealers for an order or lot vehicle. That's just from a couple rounds of emails and calls with no public incentives. Some dealers won't move below invoice which seems strange in a competitive market. Trade pricing via Subaru's Guaranteed Trade Program seems reasonable and it's nice to have up front pricing.

My 50/50 good bad experience with my last car relates to the internet quotes I received.

I did a test drive at dealership A. I liked the sales guy, told him I'd go through him first, but even if I decided on the Mazda, I was going to shop around the other few dealerships in the area. He said he wasn't worried, he'd beat anyone's price. Ok.

Decide I wanted to come back for a followup test drive (deciding between two models). Didn't hear back for a week, I moved on (side note, two months later he finally contacted me apologizing since he had a family issue going on and fell behind..)

Get online quotes from Dealership B and C. Ask for a quote for a Mazda6 Touring and a Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring. Gave specific VIN numbers to include specific color and options. Got great quotes from both dealer's. I'm guessing a bit, but easily 2k under invoice (it was late December) for the sedan, and about 1k under for the CUV. I specifically asked if the quotes included the loyalty discount, etc. No, so I'd get an additional 1k off that price. Excellent. I said I'd come in to Dealership B in two days to drive those two specific VIN models if still on the lot, make my choice and pull the trigger.

I arrive at dealership B, meet the internet sales manager who I was talking with, and she passes me off to a sales rep for the drive. Ok. No big deal. It's just to facilitate the test drive.

We decide on the Sedan. Best overall value, and felt roomier, etc.

Then, he starts the whole "now, let's talk about price". Gives a load of crap about all the dealer add ons being worth thousands (worth about 300-400) and it would be about 4k higher than I was expecting.

"I already have a quote from your internet manager. They quoted me at this price"

"let me see. Oh, this is what they did. They gave you this price, then they included the loyalty bonus, the military bonus, the police bonus, etc. You only get the loyalty bonus, so it would be this price"

"Yeah, that's not what they wrote back to me when I followed up." Showed him the e-mail. I should have walked out at that point and called up Dealership C (only 15 more miles down the road).

Never got the price I was quoted, but I did still get it well under invoice and I got more out of my trade in (10 year old car) (took 4 trips to the manager). My fiancée was all embarrassed, but I told her don't be. They're screwing us. I'm just holding my ground. I'm the one who is putting the money down. They want my money.

Eventually the sales manager came out. Guy is from New Orleans. Man, I almost flipped, you're running a Saints fan through the ringer! If he's still there, I'm so getting a better deal next time.

So, my moral is that quotes are great, but make sure you aren't being played. They seem to be doing false quotes to get people in the door.

That's pretty shady and good info to keep in mind. You shouldn't be passed off to a random floor guy after reaching an agreement with internet sales. I'm not a fan of the dance and dislike the whole sales process. Don't need someone to haggle with or pretend to be my friend, just a competitive price and a car. I'm avoiding all financing, promotions, and options beyond factory/port packages so that helps simplify things.

Mazda is one of the few local dealers we lack. Not that many in the region either though there's a bunch right across the border. They've made some nice cars lately.

I've also heard that buying a used car from a Rent-A-Car place(Hertz,Enterprise) are pretty reliable and haggle free . This is probably where I will get my next car when the time comes.

It was a new car dealer. What you are talking about is a form that says "WE OWE" in large font at the top. I failed by not getting them to write that down.

Thanks, I'm going to give them a day or so more to do the right thing.

I haven't gotten any surveys yet, I will be brutal when I do. No exaggerating, just honesty.

It does help. I Intend to absolutely kill them on the survey.

Subaru has had a lot of success lately. Sales are way up for them so I bet some dealers will get to where they don't want to deal as much. Honestly, I love Subaru. If there was a dealer nearer to me than Jackson, MS I would have gotten a Legacy.

FWIW: Someone called me from the Dealer and wanted to ask me a few questions about my sales experience. She got more than she bargained for. I had her pretty flustered on the first question and we never got to number two. I was very nice but also fairly forceful in expressing my displeasure at the sales experience, she assured me that upper management reviews all of her customer comments.
I did a google search, my car was listed at various sites online the day after I traded it. They obviously had no intention of keeping our agreement.
We'll see if anything happens.

I would fill out the contact info under contact us(Top right side) on their website.

J.D. Power | A Global Market Research Company

That's pretty shady and good info to keep in mind. You shouldn't be passed off to a random floor guy after reaching an agreement with internet sales. I'm not a fan of the dance and dislike the whole sales process. Don't need someone to haggle with or pretend to be my friend, just a competitive price and a car. I'm avoiding all financing, promotions, and options beyond factory/port packages so that helps simplify things.

Mazda is one of the few local dealers we lack. Not that many in the region either though there's a bunch right across the border. They've made some nice cars lately.

I didn't think much of it until we completed the drives.

If I have an appointment with a person, I expect to see that person.

If it wasn't for the fact I really wanted a deal done that day (old car was really on last legs), I'd have walked. Also, it was a 45 min drive.

At the end of the day, I still got a good deal, just not a great deal. I had financing in my back pocket, but I qualified for the 0% and it was through my current bank, so I totally took it.

And I love the car. I do miss having a V6 though, but the fuel economy is great, still has plenty of zoom zoom and the technology features are great. I'm glad I got the tech package.

I haven't said what dealer in case someone from there is a member here. I want to preserve some good will. If I don get somewhere by COB tomorrow then I'll give out that info.

Costco has a car buying service. My daughter used it to buy a Subaru. She told them exactly what she wanted and received a quoted price. She then went to the dealership to pick up her car, which was there and waiting for her. She met the sales manager, had no hassel and drove off with the car.

She did look at Subaru on her own, and got a run around and the dealer tried to put her in a car she clearly told them she did not want. It was a year older than she wanted with a smaller engine. The salesman even called her later and told her that was the only car he could give her. Basically he was trying to push a car that had been on the lot too long.

I don't know if going through a car buying service is the best way to get a deal, but it was hassle free and no gamesmanship.

I haven't said what dealer in case someone from there is a member here. I want to preserve some good will. If I don get somewhere by COB tomorrow then I'll give out that info.
If we have any members who work there maybe they can help you get resolution??

So, what did you buy, how fast is it 0-60, and what's the HP rating? Nothing else matters :ezbill:

If we have any members who work there maybe they can help you get resolution??

So, what did you buy, how fast is it 0-60, and what's the HP rating? Nothing else matters :ezbill:

I think you have a point.
I bought a Nissan Juke from Petro Nissan.
It's sporty enough for me (right now) and quirky enough to satisfy my need to be different.

Costco has a car buying service. My daughter used it to buy a Subaru. She told them exactly what she wanted and received a quoted price. She then went to the dealership to pick up her car, which was there and waiting for her. She met the sales manager, had no hassel and drove off with the car.

She did look at Subaru on her own, and got a run around and the dealer tried to put her in a car she clearly told them she did not want. It was a year older than she wanted with a smaller engine. The salesman even called her later and told her that was the only car he could give her. Basically he was trying to push a car that had been on the lot too long.

I don't know if going through a car buying service is the best way to get a deal, but it was hassle free and no gamesmanship.

Costco Auto provides $350 to $500 over invoice pricing for Subaru which can be a good deal in markets without much competition. That also comes with parts/service coupons and some dealers will add other discounts or perks. The no haggle part is good, especially if you don't have a good local dealer.

Subaru also has a VIP program which guarantees 2% below invoice pricing for members of some organizations and professional groups. Don't think that's a comprehensive list and 6 months of membership is required.

In competitive environments dealers might do below 2% and match other area dealers. That might be harder in areas with fewer dealers though.

I think you have a point.
I bought a Nissan Juke from Petro Nissan.
It's sporty enough for me (right now) and quirky enough to satisfy my need to be different.

Have you considered complaining to Nissan directly? Bit of a unique situation, but I've heard where that helped motivate some dealers to honor previous commitments. Of course I'd only resort to that after trying all direct options.

His problem is that he did not put this information on the "We Owe."

I spent 6 months learning in a dealership. It would blow your mind out how much power your normal consumer gives to the dealership. Here are some things that would blow my mind:

1) customer asks about the interest rate or term; salesman is told to tell customer say finance will go over all of that with you; if you still question, it will be something about privacy laws, etc, some other ********, etc. CUSTOMER IS OK WITH IT 90%+...it's crazy.

2) Customer is owed a special detail or something similarly minor; Salesman proceeds to write that dealership even owes an inspection sticker; Customer doesn't question when salesman says that the detail is normal so it doesn't go on there; what about the inspection sticker?; you'll probably end up getting the ****** $5 wash when they pull the we owe that doesn't say anything.

Most customers just let the dealer do whatever it wants. It is crazy!!!!

His problem is that he did not put this information on the "We Owe."

I spent 6 months learning in a dealership. It would blow your mind out how much power your normal consumer gives to the dealership. Here are some things that would blow my mind:

1) customer asks about the interest rate or term; salesman is told to tell customer say finance will go over all of that with you; if you still question, it will be something about privacy laws, etc, some other ********, etc. CUSTOMER IS OK WITH IT 90%+...it's crazy.

2) Customer is owed a special detail or something similarly minor; Salesman proceeds to write that dealership even owes an inspection sticker; Customer doesn't question when salesman says that the detail is normal so it doesn't go on there; what about the inspection sticker?; you'll probably end up getting the ****** $5 wash when they pull the we owe that doesn't say anything.

Most customers just let the dealer do whatever it wants. It is crazy!!!!

That's the reason I haven't made a huge stink. I negotiated a great deal, it was late and I forgot the one detail of forcing them to write it down. Complaining to Nissan will only result in them saying that no such promise was made. All I can really do is give them a bad survey.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom