N/S Aiden O’Connell switched jersey numbers because he feels it disrespects Derek Carr (1 Viewer)

I've heard it all.

Dumb. I'm not changing my number for someone that isn't even on the team. That's "my" number.

Honestly seems a little disrespectful of the equipment staff to do that in year one after a long time starter at that position left. Not sure if maybe they were out of numbers though.

Honestly seems a little disrespectful of the equipment staff to do that in year one after a long time starter at that position left. Not sure if maybe they were out of numbers though.

I mean despite the numbers he put up, Carr didn't exactly leave on the best terms and while he put up some numbers he never really won anything there. Sure they did him wrong, but he basically refused all trades to ensure they would get nothing for him.

Beyond that, I guess I just never get the you can't wear someone's old number thing. In some other sports, like soccer for instance, it's considered to be honoring the other player by wearing their number. I guess I don't see how it's disrespectful. But, I do get that the culture of American football is different from other sports for some.

Imagine if Drew Brees didnt wear #9 in New Orleans because he felt it disrespected 1972-73 Saints legend Happy Feller.

If Oconnell wanted to change numbers fine. Dont make up a legend as an excuse. Paying respect to a perpetually average qb seems, forced. Carr doesnt rate that type of move.

Shout out to Happy Feller though.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom