Alvin Kamara....Baldy again (1 Viewer)

Love the Baldy breakdowns. He's the man. His love and passion for the game come through in every film clip.

Kamara was a freak in his first year. When knocked off balance, he would put his hand on the ground and regain his balance. Defenses had no answer for it. Must have done that 10-12 times.

He didn't use that technique last season, and I would love to know why. Coach? Fear of injury? Muscled up and can't bend? Gimpy ankle or toe? Defenses threatened to break his arm? It's a great mystery to me why he would abandon such a deadly technique.

Different season, different strategies, I guess. My guess is he won't miss a beat for a while yet.

I did not remember Gayle Sayers that well so I looked at a nfl video of his highlights. What I saw was an ability to make nice lateral cuts, good vision in the open field and the power to break arm tackles. What I also saw was a superior athlete going against defenders who were nowhere near as fast or athletic.

The comparison between the two is virtually impossible to quantify because the game is so different, but I think Kamara, like Barry Sanders and Walter Payton, are probably better than Gayle Sayers.

Are we giving up on the nickname Weeble?

I tried to make it a thing

I loved those things as a kid and he sure shrugs off hits without going down just like a weeble wobble does.

Now I'm going to be on the lookout for a weeble wobble everywhere I go!

He is not the human pogo stick that Barry Sanders could be, but Kamara's closest comparisons for his athleticism, balance, and effortless-looking acceleration and intensity are Gale Sayers and Walter Payton. Payton could be violent at times, but he generally glided by competition with exceptional strength and incomparable lean & balance. When your best comparison is two of the best runners in the history of the game ... things are looking incredibly special for you. We should treasure Kamara for as long as he is with us. RBs have nasty and brutish lifespans in the NFL, sadly.

One difference between Sanders and Kamara is the sharpness of their cuts. Sanders could change direction so abruptly that it was mind boggling. Kamara is more smooth. He just glides. Defenders seem to slide off him as though he had grease all over him. It's just amazing.

I did not remember Gayle Sayers that well so I looked at a nfl video of his highlights. What I saw was an ability to make nice lateral cuts, good vision in the open field and the power to break arm tackles. What I also saw was a superior athlete going against defenders who were nowhere near as fast or athletic.

The comparison between the two is virtually impossible to quantify because the game is so different, but I think Kamara, like Barry Sanders and Walter Payton, are probably better than Gayle Sayers.
Not sure Kamara is better than Sayers... but it is close. Defenders hit Kamara, but he oftentimes breaks those tackle attempts. Defenders didn't hit Sayers... they tackled air.

Sayers was faster... Kamara is bigger. It might be a wash.

I am convinced that Tennessee Vols head football coach Butch Jones was relieved of his duties after the 2017 season after the Rocky Top brass saw what AK41 did in the NFL in 2017.

If only Kamara had been used correctly by the coaching staff at Tennessee? Of course, if Kamara had been used correctly with the Vols... he might not be a Saint today.

Way to go, Butch Jones!

Rumor was that Jones did try to come around but it too little, too late.

1561473712634.png

You have point. That goes without saying. But Kamara is definitely in Sayers zip code. His elusiveness is very natural and smooth. And he flows thru his cuts instead of having sudden breaks or stops to avoid the defender.

I never seen any player that looks so elusive that they appear to be jogging but they are actually running full speed.

Umm, I was just trying to be funny with your misspelling of Gayle... :)

[But, being serious, yes Kamara and Gayle have similar elusiveness.]

No one, I mean no one, was as elusive as Gaye Sayers! ;-)

I just watched a program dedicated to the years where Da Bears drafted and used Gayle Sayers and Dick Butkus which contained a great deal of Sayers’ best runs (in their opinions) in games and at practices. THAT Dude was "Magic In Motion” ( some one else’s quote but I’d use it to communicate how AKSAINTS#41 runs look) but while Alvin doesn’t have a real “BEAST MODE” however, in the way, he plows over defenders, snaps their ankles with his gliding moves through defenders and then checks his blocks and uses them about as well as any other player in NFL History, IMHO! So, is Alvin Kamara OUR Gayle Sayers? I say that #41 is New Orleans SAINTS RB, Alvin Kamara and THAT says it ALL and now? AK reminds me more of a gazelle in his motions, his “lightness of foot”, his speedy reads through his extremely high football IQ since he studies his opponents so well.

Funny thing today on The NFLN concerning Akiem Hicks. The former SAINT who can bull rush anyone on this Planet told of how he learned ( obviously through the SAINTS organization signing him and him learning how to break down film, finding weaknesses or “TELLS” and said he KNEW the play and player who was getting the ball and where he was planning to go with it! THAT kind of smarts makes me miss HICKS even more but he’s a bear now and we may play them so he’s enemy #1, given his fallout with Coach S.P. which I am not aware of any details but know he’s stepped in Coach’s Rice Bowl and that’s enough for me. What it does show to someone who pays attention, Our SAINTS PLAYERS are stone cold learned when it comes to what Our TEAM does and HOW they go about their businesses which seems rock solid to me as we turn out really thorough and well versed players who can play almost ANY position!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom