Am I the only one who'd be very ok with AIs replacing referees? (3 Viewers)

baseball went to an automated strike zone and a pitch clock. its helped. I think that they definitely need sensors in end zone/out of bounds. I think something for catches and offsides would work. still need human factor tho

It's absolutely ridiculous. The current year is 2023 and yet every single week, refs gets lambasted for terrible officiating. In the modern 21st century!

It's almost to the point that as if replacement refs back in 2012 didn't made a huge difference swing.

It even looks like they deliberately make terrible calls, especially what went down last SNF game.

Bring on the AI flying drones, please?!

If AIs were to take over jobs in the future, I truly hope that it's referees/umpires.

Goodbye whistles, hello buzzers!
If it ain't broke...

The English Premier League showed just how bad replay officiating can get.

Short version:
--Liverpool's Luis Diaz scores an apparent goal.
--VAR officials tell the ref to delay while they review to determine if Diaz was offside.
--They use the replay to see that Diaz was clearly onside, and the goal is good.
--They send down word to the ref confirming his on-field call.
--As play restarts, the VAR officials quickly realize that the on-field call was that the goal was disallowed because Diaz was called offside, and they should have overturned that call, but it was too late to do anything about it.

The English Premier League showed just how bad replay officiating can get.

Short version:
--Liverpool's Luis Diaz scores an apparent goal.
--VAR officials tell the ref to delay while they review to determine if Diaz was offside.
--They use the replay to see that Diaz was clearly onside, and the goal is good.
--They send down word to the ref confirming his on-field call.
--As play restarts, the VAR officials quickly realize that the on-field call was that the goal was disallowed because Diaz was called offside, and they should have overturned that call, but it was too late to do anything about it.

I've heard about this. I still see no flying drone, though.

It's absolutely ridiculous. The current year is 2023 and yet every single week, refs gets lambasted for terrible officiating. In the modern 21st century!

It's almost to the point that as if replacement refs back in 2012 didn't made a huge difference swing.

It even looks like they deliberately make terrible calls, especially what went down last SNF game.

Bring on the AI flying drones, please?!

If AIs were to take over jobs in the future, I truly hope that it's referees/umpires.

Goodbye whistles, hello buzzers!

I would have no problem with that, but I think there would be 30-50% more penalties called per game slowing down the game even more. Games would now be 4-5 hours. AI would be much more efficient in seeing infractions than the human eye.

I'm sure they are already using AI, but seeing the amount of penalties would take the game 8 hours to watch IF the players could even play that long which is probably a big factor in using AI.

On the other hand, I'd rather they use AI on FGs and out of bounds areas (Where the player steps out of bounds and whether or not the player stepped out of bounds). Then the sideline officials and the FG officials can focus more on other penalties, etc.

Not AI but a use of technology that would correct some of the egregious errors. The NFL needs to surge headlong into the technology of the 1990s.

I would have no problem with that, but I think there would be 30-50% more penalties called per game slowing down the game even more. Games would now be 4-5 hours. AI would be much more efficient in seeing infractions than the human eye.
Good thing I could stream or broadcast radio through my phone for a walk outside.

As has been mentioned I think a SkyJudge/Ref would be the best interim solution. I'd go a step further though and have the SkyJudge/Ref not be affiliated with the NFL. Have them be certified/hired by the NFLPA.

I haven't really thought through all the implications, but at least there would be one person at the game that would be more concerned with what's best for the players and not the NFL.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom